Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#167831 05/24/12 01:45 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I need the name and state of a small town somewhere in the north-eastern part of the US. It needs to be a town that would have one (or at the most, two) police officers.

Any thoughts? It's a very small part of the fic I'm writing, but I figure someone on here will know of a place that suits my needs.

Many thanks,

Corrina.

#167832 05/24/12 01:59 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I know small towns in New York state but they have more than one or two policemen. To have 24 hour coverage you would need more. I don't know if the 'Mayberry, RFD' (old TV show) exists anymore. But to be funny you could even use Mayberry. Fictional small town in North Carolina. But that may not be north enough for what you want.
Sue

#167833 05/24/12 02:17 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Hi Sue,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know anything about Mayberry, and this isn't really a funny fic, so I probably need a real town.

I can move further south or west if that makes it easier.

Corrina.

#167834 05/24/12 02:38 AM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Michigan typically has both county sheriffs and, in areas with more population, city or township police offices. There are even a few “mini” stations as well in areas with senior housing. Some well-to-do towns are willing to pay additional taxes for the prestige of having their own police force though this is becoming less common. Depending on how the county’s population is distributed it may be practical to have a branch police office in a remote town to reduce the response time.

We have a single police officer in my township (population 1600) and one or more part-time deputies. And trust me, it’s because the we’re in the remote category. For reference, the village where the police station is located has a population of about 450.

In any case, 24 hour coverage wouldn’t be essential since the county or state police could provide coverage in the off hours. I think you could describe a situation like this in the northeast and no one would think twice about it.

Shallowford
#167835 05/24/12 02:49 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks for the information, Shallowford. It's good to know I'm not trying for something that doesn't exist.

Any suggestions for names that could go in these gaps.

"My husband was the only cop in _____, _____ for over thirty years."

Corrina.

ETA - and is 'cop' right? Or should I use 'officer', 'sheriff' or something else?

#167836 05/24/12 05:41 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've got it! Mount Bethel, Pennsylvania. It's a teeny, tiny town near the Delaware River. My daughter used to live near there. Also a choice, Portland, Pennsylvania. It sounds big, but isn't.
I'm sure there are some in New York state, but I don't know that area as well. Good luck.
r/
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#167837 05/24/12 02:21 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks so much, Artemis.

Mount Bethel, Pennsylvania, it is!

It's only a small part of the fic, but picking a name from a map leaves me open to getting it totally wrong.

Corrina.

#167838 05/25/12 02:04 AM
Columnist
Columnist
There's a town near where I live that has no police officers. It has a post office and one store. Ward, SC... It has a speed zone- no red lights. laugh

As for names... Butch Easler? (he was the police chief in my hometown for years- we have about six police officers). I used to date a cop named Dwight Green. Use a combination of a couple of different names you like.

SQD (who believes small town justice is a good boys' system)

#167839 05/28/12 02:56 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Also is the town of Russiaville Indiana.

It is mostly just a stop on the highway as it just has one gas station, a small grocery store, subway, and a funeral home and furnature store(seriously in the same building) and a pizza place. no traffic lights just one fourway stop.

there's only two cops in town and they are mostly on funeral detail, speeders, and domestic disturbances.

Jenna: "That's enough! You release the Charactors from this tragedy right now, you little gnome. Or I promise to send you somewhere far worse than the fifth dimension!"

Kazbo sarcastically: "You have me so scared!" menacing: "try dealing with this!" throws in a slow, agonising death. then disappears.
-from an arguement with Kazbo, the evil muse
#167840 06/05/12 11:33 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Corinna,

I second Artemis nomination. I'm from that area and am familiar with that particular community. It should be ideal.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard