Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#167819 05/23/12 04:41 AM
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
On the show it was well established that Clark's pet name for Lois was "honey". Did she ever have one for him? I fully and freely confess that I have a very short attention span when it comes to the third and fourth seasons and I haven't watched most of the episodes more than once (years and years and years ago). So I'm putting this one out in the hopes that someone else did actually pay attention.

Does Lois have an established term of endearment for Clark? More than one? A few that she used more than once?

Thanks!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I can't recall any such terms of endearment from Lois. Clark did, however, also have one other for Lois: At one point he called her "my little tornado." (Sorry, I can't recall where off-hand.)

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've seen farmboy and flybly a lot in fanfic. Don't know if it's canon, though. And lunkhead. Oh, and muttonheaded dolt is from an MLT fic, I think... And we might start getting iffy on the endearment bit.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm with Michael. I've seen Farmboy and Flyboy a lot in fic. I think it might just be a fic thing though. Lunkhead is definitely canon though.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
'Farmboy' definitely originated in canon. ("Don't fall for me Farmboy, I don't have time for it.")

I'm pretty sure Lois also used it after they were together, too.

Shallowford
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
<slaps forehead> I can't believe I forgot "Farmboy."

I had thought "Lunkhead" was fanon, but it turns out that Lois actually used it in TDwCiftC.

The only time "Flyboy" is used on the show, it is most definitely not a term of endearment; Randy Goode uses it in SLaV.

Joy,
Lynn

Columnist
Columnist
In the comic books, she calls him 'Smallville' a lot. (Even after they're married)

She also called him 'Honey' a few times in the LnC series. ex: the finale episode, she gets the bassinet delivery and says something along the lines of 'honey, is this your way of telling me we can have a baby?'

In Dead Lois Walking, she calls him 'Sweetheart'. (He also calls her sweet heart once or twice. I'm pretty sure in the episode where she's working on her will? He's all: Do you have something to tell me, Sweetheart? or something along those lines...

Lunkhead for sure. lol

Uhhh.... Super Stumpet was thrown around by the tabloids in Sex, Lies & Video Tape... lol

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Actually, I've always thought whenever Lois says Clark's name instead Superman, Clark considers it a term of endearment, because he's so thrilled that she loves all of him.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks, you guys! This is precisely what I was looking for. My general impression was that she never really had one (on the show) and that seems to be borne out here. Also reinforced is my recollection that her nicknames for him were affectionate reuses of insults. smile

Thanks for the info on the comics, Mrs. Luthor, I like "Smallville".

Maybe it's just me and the way that Lois sounds in my head, but I can't see her calling him "sweetheart" more than once with a straight face. :p "Smallville" (or a similar affectionate putdown) rings much truer.

Thanks again!

ETA: Virginia, you posted while I was typing, but I just had to come back and reply. smile In the story this is for I had her thinking that "Clark" was the only thing she wanted to call him, regardless of what guise he was in. laugh

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Ides of Metropolis
Columnist
Columnist
I completely agree with the 'Smallville' being a great nickname.

Actually, I'm watching the Smallville series (finally half way through season 10 - whew!), and I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but in that series, that Lois calls that Clark 'Smallville' a lot as well. (Probably a little touch to the comics.)

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yup, honey is definately one. I'm messing around looking at the scripts. She calls him honey in Ultra Woman when she smashes the bench in the Newtrich hideout after they kidnap Clark, and a flying bolt smacks him in the head.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
She calls him honey in Ultra Woman when she smashes the bench in the Newtrich hideout after they kidnap Clark, and a flying bolt smacks him in the head.
That always felt like a nod to their role reversal to me. One that made me go "awww" when she was so tender and sweet to him. I do loves me some Vulnerable!Clark. drool

Ides of Metropolis

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard