Hey, FoLCs!
(Man, I had missed making quizzes! wink )

This is the quiz for Best Super Short story. This quiz has a bit of a twist in it – since many of the stories are so short it’s difficult to pick out one quote and one excerpt, I’ve only used one short excerpt from each of the stories.

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Super Short, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 12.
(Also, I should really be ashamed about that but I haven't followed the rest of the quizzes so carefully. So whether you see one story in this quiz for the first or the umpteenth time, it means nothing.)

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: One point for naming the author, one point for naming the story. Also, one bonus point for the careful ones who read the rules and include a couple of old-school Fool Yahoo lines at the beginning, because I'm feeling nostalgic and a max score of 25 points looks like a fair deal. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Friday, 10 February, 11:59 p.m. GMT. (No, really.)

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here .

Please post your answers here .

Have fun!

Your friendly neighbourhood quizmistress,
AnnaBtG. wink

B
E
S
T

S
U
P
E
R

S
H
O
R
T

Excerpt #1:
Once they were out on the street several of the guys starting teasing her about being a girly boy. She managed to dodge a few attempts at grabbing her hat, but the teasing and crude comments continued as they all moved down the street. Fortunately, within a few minutes they'd all moved off toward their own homes, and she was free of any more scrutiny.

Excerpt #2:
"Any staff member of the Daily Planet who wants to take part in the show can," explained Lois. "Perry usually sings an Elvis song, Cat usually sets up a kissing booth, and I usually do a dance routine. It's a chance to use your talent to bring in money for charity."

Excerpt #3:
"I bet Superman wouldn't stand me up... if he ever agreed to go out with me," she said dejectedly, staring at the red and blue blur on the screen captured by news cameras. "A date with Superman... now that would be something," Lois sighed, indulging herself for just a moment in her old fantasy, since her current one was definitely MIA.

Excerpt #4:
"I was trying to be helpful," Lois said meekly. It had been an emergency. Someone had needed Superman. And mysteriously -- although possibly related to last night's post-rescue investigation when Lois had proved beyond doubt that the Suit definitely did come off -- the red briefs had been temporarily mislaid.

Excerpt #5:
Superman had gradually become slightly less 'super'. He was still mostly invulnerable -- although he did get a bruise that lasted a few hours when he was shot at point-blank range. Fortunately, all but the dumbest criminals had given up bothering to shoot him well over half a century ago.

Excerpt #6:
Lois watched as the pair played and tumbled over each other. She sat down in the floor and joined the play. Lucy was right. She was hooked. As she played, she mused, that even though they were very cute, she surely didn’t want more. She wondered how much it would cost to get them “fixed”. She made a call, found out they were old enough and got it all set up. The first would go in the morning.

Excerpt #7:
"Well, you are going to fly off..." He raised his eyebrows at her. "Let me finish," she said and continued, "... and then you are going to come back as Clark. Which, by the way, I can't believe I never noticed all those times you just ran off and Superman just happened to show up and vice versa."

Excerpt #8:
He winced at the sight of two of his men crashing into each other above him. They fell to earth with a massive crash. They were doing better than others, who were floating above ground, unable to find purchase on the earth below. Some were spinning slowly in place, helpless.

Excerpt #9:
“You do realize that there are still three more days to go? It’s not out of the realm of possibility that I won’t make it to Christmas. I could get struck by lightning or get hit by a bus or eat some mistletoe in the next three days.”

Excerpt #10:
So, when? If Clark really is Superman and really is worried I'd only love him for his powers, when would he have told me? When would he know that wasn't true? Not until I gave up my Superman fantasy. Well, gave it up and let him know it.

Excerpt #11:
Thank you for writing! Unfortunately, Superman is a very busy man and will not be able to attend your wedding. However, he does send his best wishes to you both, and hopes that your marriage is a long and happy one.

Excerpt #12:
The one thing she did know was that Superman wasn't out doing anything -- while Clark Kent had returned from New Krypton, Superman was still absent. Clark's powers hadn't completely returned yet and the trauma of his time on that hellhole of a planet ... Lois wasn't sure if Superman would ever return to the skies of Metropolis. The physical scars were healing but the mental ones might never disappear completely.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...