And here's the quiz you thought might never come! Here's Best Episode Adaptation 2012!

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Episode Adaptation, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 7.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Tuesday by 11:59 p.m.

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here .

Please post your answers here .

Have fun!

B

E

S

T

E

P

I

S

O

D

E

A

D

A

P

T

A

T

I

O

N

Quote #1:
“No. Well, actually some of the ingredients I did fly to Japan for. But tonight, I am going to cook for you. Just to prove that I’m not lying about where the food is coming from.” His remark had its intended effect, he could see by the way her cheeks colored. “And I’m offering one more thing.”

Quote #2:
“I clean out my drawers and organize my desk. I give a proper sendoff to the plant I’ve managed to kill that year. That way I can bring a new plant to work on January 1 and get started on ignoring it to death.”

Quote #3:
"I'm not letting you in," she told him. But he could tell she was close to giving in, and he let loose one more whine. "Fine," she sighed. "But only for a little while.”

Quote #4:
The man on the other end of the line smiled. Lois wanted to know if his parents missed her. “You know there’s no place like Smallville for Christmas.” A brief silence. “They ask about you all the time,” he finally said softly.

Quote #5:
How was he supposed to answer that? He was completely in love with her, too, but she had rejected him only a few hours before. He used to think there was a chance for them. Lois’s wide eyes narrowed in contemplation, and suddenly Clark realized that he had voiced that last thought out loud.

Quote #6:
Lois took a step outside before turning back to look at Clark. “When you decide that you’re ready to tell me what’s really going on, give me a call. If I’m not too busy saving Superman, I might just be willing to give you a call back.” With that, she stepped out of his apartment, slamming the door behind her.

Quote #7:
Lois might not take that all that well. In fact, Clark expected her reaction to be volcanic. Clark had a sinking feeling that her reaction might outdo the genuine volcanic eruption he had encountered last month, where he’d diverted the lava flow while the villagers below had scuttled to safety.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Excerpt #1:
Hours later, she was flipping through a magazine when Clark appeared at her window. He eased himself inside of the apartment. He looked tired.
“Sorry,” he said after spinning back into his Clark clothes. “There was a wildfire in California, a car fire in Chicago, and a bomb scare in New York that turned out to be a duffle bag of gym clothing.”
“Oh, it’s ok,” Lois said. “Come. Sit.” She patted the couch cushion next to her.
Clark eagerly obliged, sighing as he settled down onto the couch next to her. He leaned back, stretching his back and shoulder muscles.

Excerpt #2:
“I’ve been trying to think of something to get you for Christmas. I mean, what do you give to the guy who saved your life?”

“Three times,” Clark pointed out with a grin. “I saved your life three times in a single twenty-four hour period.”

Lois lifted her head from his shoulder in mock-indignation. “Says you. The way I remember it, you only saved me twice. Be happy with twice, Clark. Not even Superman has saved me twice in one day.”

“I’m sure he would if you needed him to.”

“Don’t change the subject. I was asking what you wanted for Christmas.”

“I think your being alive is present enough.”

Excerpt #3:
Feeling like a snoop but unable to stave off his curiosity, he padded quietly into Lois's bedroom and sat down in the doorway. This was a place that was generally off-limits to him, so he
hadn't really been able to give it a long look. The room was pleasant enough, but it lacked a certain something. It didn't
really feel like *home*.

He took several steps forward, looking around. His gaze moved upward, and he saw the black-and-white bear he had won for Lois in Smallville up on her dresser by a pile of laundry. His heart
began to throb anew, and he left the room in sorrow. He wouldn't be able to win her any more stuffed animals.

Excerpt #4:
He was also, more often than not, right there beside her. He was quiet reflection when she needed him to be. He was sweet release when she needed it. He was who she shouted at when she was angry. He was who she talked to when she was at the end of her rope. So far from her, yet so very close. Lois kept Clark tucked within her heart almost as closely as she had when they’d been together.
She was also proud of all he’d accomplished. He’d recently uncovered a plot by a Nazi group to take over Metropolis. He’d also solved a huge case involving Jaxon Xavier and his virtual reality center that was a cover used to kidnap dozens of famous kids. Lois was especially proud of Clark’s work on that one.

Excerpt #5:
“Oh, Lois,” Clark said softly, “I’m so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. Please don’t cry.” He wrapped his arms around her as more tears began to fall. Her whole body was shaking as she cried. “Lois, please look at me.”
She lifted her head from her chest and looked him with the biggest smile. Apparently, her shaking wasn’t due to crying. “You’re laughing?” he asked incredulously. “What is so funny?”
“Us,” she managed to get out between giggles. That made him smile.
“And what is so funny about us?” he asked.

Excerpt #6:
“Because you’re right. I might not have liked how Superman went about his business or the man himself for that matter, but if all the criminals in the city decided to make their move at the same time, the police would be completely overwhelmed. I don’t suppose Superman thought of that before he made himself so indispensable to this city.”

Lois felt anger flare inside her. “Are you blaming Superman for this?”

“Well, if he’d never come, we wouldn’t be worrying about this now, would we? The police wouldn’t have become complacent and the criminals
wouldn’t be in a position to take advantage of that complacency. That’s what comes from placing too much faith in one man.”

Excerpt #7:
And so that had led to his presence now, getting ready for a dinner with Lois, and mentally preparing for the evening. They’d go to Ciao Amici’s, an upscale Italian restaurant. The name meant “Welcome, Friends” and Clark hoped that was a good omen. He and Lois were good friends, right? Maybe they could become something more.
He would buy her the best dinner ever, with antipasti and wine and tiramisu and whatever else she wanted. He would sit there and enjoy looking at her, and enjoy her babble, and enjoy being with her. Then he’d ask her to his apartment, after dinner, and he’d sit with her on the couch and he’d draw a deep breath and then he’d tell her.