Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#166800 12/13/11 09:36 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've been reviewing S1 a lot recently and I noticed something and want to have it reconfirmed.

When is the first time Superman (not CK) visits Lois at her apartment?

From what I've been noticing, I think it's in the vise of Vatman.

Is that true or have I missed a scene somewhere?

And the second time he visits, is it near the end of S1 when she asks Clark to send Superman to her apartment after Luthor's proposal?

Please let me know if I've got my facts wrong.

I know Superman is constantly dropping by in S2, which is why it kind-of shocks me that I can only find these 2 visits in S1.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#166801 12/14/11 04:33 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I think you're right. Looking through the scripts that seems to be the case. I think in Clark's mind's eye, he's still afraid of Lois tying Clark to Superman too much and so avoids him visiting her apartment. When she specifically asks for him to visit, that's the only time (I personally think) he can justify a visit to her home in uniform.

After Superman knows where she lives it allows him to drop in anytime if he really wanted to but I don't remember there being a lot of instances where Superman visits her apartment before "Churches of Metropolis" (I'm trying to remember if "Metallo" was before or after.) During "CoM" Clark's seemingly come to the realization that Superman is important enough for whomever he dates to at least like both the superhuman persona and his "real self."

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#166802 12/14/11 05:20 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
After posting this question last night, I realized that I had seen Superman at Lois's apartment before "Vatman". He comes to tell her that he's watching over her during "Witness". So the two times he visits in S1 would therefore be in Witness and before she accepts Luthor proposal, right? (discounting Vatman since that technically wasn't the real Superman.)

Christina, that's an interesting theory about S2. I don't think I agree with it though. It was my impression that the reason that Superman comes over to Lois's after the Cost Mart ball was because he (Clark) didn't get to spend as much time with Lois at the ball as he would have liked (because Lois had passed him over to Mayson) and he wanted to see Lois again, even if it had to be in the guise of Superman. And that he then realizes he could see twice as much of Lois if he visited her as both Clark and Superman. And maybe even get to do other things with her (private dancing) that he couldn't do as Clark. I figured it was part of his 'he loves her so much he wanted to spend as much of his free time with her as he could.'

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#166803 12/14/11 11:00 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
The only reason I have that hypothesis is how Clark explained to his parents his quandry over the (at that point two) women in his personal life.

Martha: the real question here is... who's this Mayson girl, honey? Do you like her?

Clark: Yeah. I think. Well, that's the other weird part. See, she likes me-- I mean, Clark-- but she hates Superman. Which is kind of confusing because Lois loves superman but only likes Clark and Mayson likes Clark in a way that's different from Lois... (he basically goes into babble mode.)

To me it said two things, he was intrigued by Mayson but not really as much as Lois in part because of her reaction to Superman (for some reason that response seemed to take Clark aback a little.) The other is that he's been allowing himself to only enjoy Lois's company in one guise when he really should allow himself to flesh out his super persona (which until this episode I never got the impression he wanted to do prior to this episode.)

I don't think it's mutually exclusive though. I think his decision to go and thank her was fairly neutral (like it was something he'd done before) but the decision for him to stay and dance with her (complete with closing the window, making it obvious he was wanting to stay for a while) may have been partially predicated on his decision that Superman was enough "him" for him to stay and not a pretend part of himself.

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
#166804 12/14/11 12:22 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I think Clark’s reaction to Mayson’s reaction to Superman was based on the fact that, deep down, Superman is a part of him. Mayson’s objections to Superman’s “help” had to feel like a rejection of Clark’s natural instincts to use his powers for good. For that reason, it’s doubtful he could ever feel close enough to Mayson to truly be himself around her, let alone tell her the unvarnished truth.

As far as the Superman visiting Lois dynamic goes, I’ve always fancied that he was a moth to flame. (I even wrote a series of short stories about it. <g>) Clark knows it's a bad idea on so many levels to make personal visits as Superman to Lois’ apartment. And yet he can’t stop himself from putting himself in that situation because he craves her attention.

No one has mentioned his visit at the end of “Wall of Sound”. After Clark wins his Kerth, Superman shows up in Lois’ apartment, ostensibly to thank her for her help in stopping Stokes. But he stays and takes a little Clarkish tease in admiring her Kerths and the way she “keeps them in the bottom of her closet”. To his credit, he does try to keep the visit business-like – it’s Lois who inches over the line to give him a rose and a kiss on the cheek.

To my mind, that’s exactly what keeps drawing him back as S2 goes on. He comes back to see her again at the end of CoM on a flimsy pretext and his unexpressed hopes are answered when Lois invites him to dance with her.

What’s particularly interesting to me is the fact that, after he’s alone with Lois, his voice gradually becomes more Clark and less Superman. He starts out with the deeper voice in both WoS and CoM, but once they start talking on a personal level (ie, once the thanks are over and he’s just chit-chatting), he becomes more like Clark. In WoS it’s when he comments that the lighting makes her awards look bigger. In CoM it’s when he tells her that he loves “Fly Me to the Moon.” YMMV. laugh

One other note: Superman stays overnight at her apartment in “The Eyes Have It”, but that’s not a deliberate choice on his part so it doesn't really count.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#166805 12/14/11 01:24 PM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Sue S.:
As far as the Superman visiting Lois dynamic goes, I’ve always fancied that he was a moth to flame. (I even wrote a series of short stories about it. <g>) Clark knows it's a bad idea on so many levels to make personal visits as Superman to Lois’ apartment. And yet he can’t stop himself from putting himself in that situation because he craves her attention.

No one has mentioned his visit at the end of “Wall of Sound”. After Clark wins his Kerth, Superman shows up in Lois’ apartment, ostensibly to thank her for her help in stopping Stokes. But he stays and takes a little Clarkish tease in admiring her Kerths and the way she “keeps them in the bottom of her closet”. To his credit, he does try to keep the visit business-like – it’s Lois who inches over the line to give him a rose and a kiss on the cheek.

To my mind, that’s exactly what keeps drawing him back as S2 goes on. He comes back to see her again at the end of CoM on a flimsy pretext and his unexpressed hopes are answered when Lois invites him to dance with her.

What’s particularly interesting to me is the fact that, after he’s alone with Lois, his voice gradually becomes more Clark and less Superman. He starts out with the deeper voice in both WoS and CoM, but once they start talking on a personal level (ie, once the thanks are over and he’s just chit-chatting), he becomes more like Clark. In WoS it’s when he comments that the lighting makes her awards look bigger. In CoM it’s when he tells her that he loves “Fly Me to the Moon.” YMMV. laugh
I don't know why but my mind is always merging the two visits in WoS and CoM together. You do have a good point though. I think I need to go back and re-watch those with an eye towards these scenes. I always loved the dance for the two of them in CoM and wondered how that evening went.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard