Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi all,

When was Superman on TV (that is, in the news) in the L&C universe? I need to know this for a story that is very much in the initial planning phase now. It hasn't coalesced enough in my mind to guarantee it will get written, but I very much hope it does. What little I have of it so far I really like. And the more Superman was on TV in the L&C universe, the more likely it will be that there will be a scene that will provide the 'hook' I need.

I can think of three times off-hand: On the day he tackled Nightfall, on the day that he (well, a hologram of him) hovered in the air while he claimed that Clark did his laundry for him, and when he denied having an affair with Clark Kent's wife. I don't recall there being television cameras around when he made his 'farewell and do good' spiel in the New Krypton arc, but there may have been. Oh, yeah -- IIRC, he may also have been seen on TV in the pilot episode.

I'm sure there have to be more times, but I can't recall any others off-hand. I am especially interested in any time he is saying anything on TV -- If it is heroic, terrific, but if not, that's fine, too.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Joy,
Lynn

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I guess it depends on whether your asking if he was shown on the news or if he was speaking on camera. Just a quick peek at the LnCarchive shows that there are cameras present at several of Clark's early rescues. From Neverending Battle, there is a camera to his right after the suicide jumpers are caught.

There was also the Key to the City scene in "I'm Looking Through You". There were certainly cameras rolling during the 'ultimate street fight' in Requiem for a Superhero (although I didn't find a clear shot of one in the screen caps), and I've Got A Crush On You starts with a camera and newscaster capturing Clark during a rescue. I think you could make a case for most of his early rescues being caught on film.

Then there are the other newsworthy events, like Superman being ordered to leave Metropolis in
Man of Steel Bars or a charity event, like the bachelor auction.

Hope that helps,
B

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Terrific, BJ. Thanks! I'll be sure to take a close look at those scenes.

I would much prefer times when Superman actually spoke on TV, but even non-speaking appearances might prove useful.

edit: I think the key to the city scene might work very well in my story. But the more scenes that are available, the better.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
SuperClone was also on TV in Vatman. But that may not help you at all.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
DC, Oh, that's right. He was the one I was remembering as saving the plane over Paris. Thank you. Oh, and and that reminds me -- Superman was also seen on TV with Vixen.

I'm not sure that either one will be usable in my story, but you never know.

Thanks,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Superman gave a speech on TV at the end of the Doe arc in Lois & Clarks (S4)... although it was alt-Clark doing the speech. Speaking of alt-Clark, he was also on TV during the Mayoral debate in Tempus, Anyone?

Also, he was on TV doing a speech (as seen by Goode & Gang) at the beginning of Sex, Lies and Videotape (S4).

There were several times when I vaguely remember Perry or Lois checking to see if Superman was doing something. (Like in Vixen - S4)

I think in DToSC (S3- the collectors) Lois sees Superman in China for the Earthquake while in Smallville and decides to head back to Metropolis to talk to Dr. Klein.

In AKA Superman (S4) Lois spotted Superman at Charity Golf tournament and at a kids baseball game on TV, but I doubted he spoke during either of those events.

I don't remember if it was on TV or not, but COtOC (S3) Superman may have gone on TV at some point to refut that the little boy was his.

And I think in Lethal Weapon (Red K in S4) he stopped by a press conference held by the mayor to tell them he was trying to behave.

I don't know if Lois's trial was televised (PvsLL) or if Superman's personal injury trial was televised (WWW), but Superman took the stand in both of those.

I'll keep thinking. But I hope those help.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Wow, Virginia, you came up with a lot of ideas. Thank you!

I think I may have what I need, and I definitely have enough to firm up more of the plot in my mind. I have already written three and a half pages of the story. And since I am an outliner and not a discovery writer, that tells you to what extent the plot has coalesced in my mind.

Well, I am using the word 'plot' pretty loosely here, since this story is much more character-driven than it is plot-driven. But I did need some televised Superman speech in order to drive the plot.

Thanks again,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks again for the help, DC, Virginia and BJ.

I've just finished my first draft of Echolalia, the story which made use of Superman being on screen. I'm hoping to post it some time this week or next.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wasn't there also press/tv when Superman received the key to the city? I can't remember what episode that was for the life of me, but it had to be season one because Lex gave it to him.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Yep, DC. That was from ILtY. BJ mentioned it earlier in the thread. Thanks.

My story is in my BRs' hands right now.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard