Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I know this premise has been beaten like a dead horse, but...

Okay, I'm wondering about marriage. Specifically, where L&C end up married when one or the other, or both, didn't particularly want to be. I want to know about specific stories already written, too. (For repetition sake.)

We have Green Card (almost self explanatory). We have On the Other Hand (Clark marries Lois- still in love with Lana. He's protecting Lois). I recall one where they were married because of some obscure law when they spent the night at the Lexor. (She finds out right before her wedding to Luthor.) A Gift For Life (and I should know all about that one laugh ) There's First Comes Marriage (though I don't remember a whole except they really don't know one another) Honeymoon in Vegas (hilarious) What others have them thrown into a marriage one or both might not have wanted?

Now tell me what other reasons could you see a couple marrying a stranger? And why? What would keep them married? (e.g. say they 'pretend' to be married for a story (and later learn 'guess what? it's real!), when he story's over, what would keep them together?

I have bits and pieces of a scenario in my head, but I need some serious tension. And the whole 'I might have to sleep next to you but don't touch me' thing could be fun.

And I'm trying to push through a writer's block.

While we're here, what is the absolute worse thing you could see Clark doing to betray Lois and be redeemed?

SQD

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There was a movie a while back, I can't even tell you who was in it (I think Julia Roberts or Kevin Costner)... where the couple of people who hate each other but are forced together for some reason... runs into a wedding chapel in Vegas to hide from some people who are chasing them and they have a conversation through-out the whole service, not listening to the minister and only realize they got married when the justice of the peace says "You may now kiss the bride". Very funny. Wish I could remember which movie it was. All I remember was that it was the best scene in the movie.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Except Clark marrying Lois because she got pregnant and doesn't want to be known a single mom (sham marriage to keep her folks quiet) and the other reasons you mentioned.

What is the worst thing that Clark do / say and still be redeemed, sorry SQD - I've already used it in GEM laugh and haven't posted it yet, so I can't tell you. If you're dying to know, I can e-mail you privately and tell you. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Oops... You had already covered this one. Never mind. blush

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Now tell me what other reasons could you see a couple marrying a stranger? And why?
A green card is the first thing that pops into my mind. In fact, I am fairly sure we have a story around that premise.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, duh! I totally forgot to mention Mr. and Mrs. Kent by Mozartmaid, where (alt)L&C pretend to be married because she has bad men after her family because she's a hired assassin.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
In "PML Oh Boy" Clark is equally affected by Miranda's pherimone and they run off to Vegas and get married.

The story is about the aftermath.

Tank (who remembers a story where Lois and Clark are divorced because Lois couldn't cope with sharing him with the rest of the world)

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
SQD said:
I recall one where they were married because of some obscure law when they spent the night at the Lexor. (She finds out right before her wedding to Luthor.)
I couldn't think of any other stories that fit your criteria, but the story you referenced was Erin Klingler's The Accidental Husband

I selfishly hope you find what you're looking for and that the block disappears.
laugh
B

Top Banana
Top Banana
Nan's The Newlywed Game is a terrific follow-up on the pheromone-induced wedding idea.

CarolM has a red-K-induced sudden wedding in Falling Slowly .

A second 'obscure Lexor law' story is Lois and Clark and the IRS

Regarding the movie scenario--it's not the ceremony that makes you legally married, IIRC--it's the license. It would be hard to accidentally sign a marriage license. Maybe it's different in Nevada.

Here's a scenario I've thought of for a reluctant marriage: Suppose that, at some point in their dating relationship, Lex won't take 'no' for an answer and Lois is the victim of a date rape. Not only does she have the trauma of the rape, but she ends up pregnant. Meanwhile, now that her Lex blinders are off, she's more willing to listen to Clark on the Lex is evil front. Clark, with his supersenses, realizes that Lois is pregnant pretty early on. Here's where the marriage comes in: In most states (and since New Troy is fictional, we can use whatever state law we want), when a married woman has a child, her husband is assumed to be the child's father. That could lead Lois and Clark to get married for the sole purpose of protecting her child from Luthor, who would, of course, want custody out of a sheer desire for control. Much potential for angst in that scenario, and a lot of difficult decisions for Lois, starting with why she chooses to keep the child in the first place. Many mixed feelings for Clark, too, who would be torn between loving the child because it is Lois's and trying not to resent it for being Lex's, with much ensuing Clark-introspective-guilt.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmmm, how about if Lois and/or Clark decided to investigate a group that's "for married people only" or something? And they check out newcomers thoroughly, so no fake marriage certificates. wink

Or maybe...in the US, a wife cannot testify against her husband (and I assume vice versa), so maybe one marries the other in order to keep their mouth shut...or else to keep themselves from being obligated to tattle. evil

Personally, I've always wanted to put a Kryptonian spin on the whole "I didn't know that made us married!" thing. laugh

~•~
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Regarding the movie scenario--it's not the ceremony that makes you legally married, IIRC--it's the license. It would be hard to accidentally sign a marriage license.
Actually, in some states if a ceremony is performed by a bonefided pastor, it's as legal as the signing of the certificate. As much a the government insists on separation of church and state, so many things are considered legal and binding when associated with church. (e.g. whatever is written in a Bible- birth records, marriage records-- hmm... that could be interesting evil )

Here's a scenario I've thought of for a reluctant marriage: Suppose that, at some point in their dating relationship, Lex won't take 'no' for an answer and Lois is the victim of a date rape. Not only does she have the trauma of the rape, but she ends up pregnant. Meanwhile, now that her Lex blinders are off, she's more willing to listen to Clark on the Lex is evil front. Clark, with his supersenses, realizes that Lois is pregnant pretty early on. Here's where the marriage comes in: In most states (and since New Troy is fictional, we can use whatever state law we want), when a married woman has a child, her husband is assumed to be the child's father. That could lead Lois and Clark to get married for the sole purpose of protecting her child from Luthor, who would, of course, want custody out of a sheer desire for control. Much potential for angst in that scenario, and a lot of difficult decisions for Lois, starting with why she chooses to keep the child in the first place. Many mixed feelings for Clark, too, who would be torn between loving the child because it is Lois's and trying not to resent it for being Lex's, with much ensuing Clark-introspective-guilt.
I've actually tossed this idea around for years. I have one on my HD where I used PML as the kick starter. Lois believes herself pregnant from an attack, Clark marries her, but they eventually find out that Clark really is the father. (He was affected, too.) But Luthor being father, or thinking he is (I don't know if I could actually make him the father thud .) could really make life intersting.

The spouse can't testify thing could be interesting... very interesting. Would it be believable if a bad guy(s) forced our couple to marry to make one look guilty? (The other is already suspected of being guilty.) Then they remain married to get them out of testifying?

On the subject of crazy laws, in SC if a man and woman spend one night together, they'd considered common law married. Of course, common law is not what I'm after. I want living in the same house, I really don't want to be here, I'm about to blow up but I can't stand the person who shares my bed kind of thing. (Did I mention our couple is not going to be very happy about this arrangement?)

Thanks for the response so far. It's been great.

SQD

Top Banana
Top Banana
There was also a story in which Lois and Clark pretended to be married in order to catch a criminal who was targeting newlyweds, but I can't recall the title at the moment. They were living in Clark's apartment with Clark sleeping on the sofa at first, but then they had to share the bed because they realized that there was a camera watching them. There was some anxiety over coming up with a cover for why there weren't actually having sex.

Another reason why someone might marry under duress is for inheritance purposes--some crazy old grandma leaves Lois a fortune, but she only inherits if she's married within, say 30 days or so. Trouble is, I can't see Lois or Clark actually doing that. I think Lois would rather lose the inheritance than marry for it.

Another possible reason for marrying is that Lois wants custody of a child (maybe Lucy's) and thinks she'd have a better chance with DCS if she were married. That would require killing off Lucy, or at least incapacitating her, and putting the child in danger of going to someone that both Lois and Clark consider dangerous (not difficult if you consider the crazy guys Lucy tends to date).

This *is* my happily ever after.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
What if Lois bonded with Amy? from Smart Kids and a married couple could adopt but a single person couldn't.Have to make where she would be going to bad enough that Lois wants to save her. So she needs a husband at least on paper.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The Backwards trilogy by CarolM comes to mind.

Lois Kent is helping with the Kent B&B when Clark Lane shows up on a story. They wind up in bed together and by the laws of the county they are considered married. This is used to pre-empt Zara's claim to Clark as a birth wife.

Delightful set.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
SQD said:
Would it be believable if a bad guy(s) forced our couple to marry to make one look guilty?
It's not exactly the scenario you mentioned above, but in Sue S.'s Honeymoon in Vegas , Lois and Clark use "getting married" as a cover when the bad guys notice them tailing them from Metropolis to Nevada. Said bad guys made sure they followed through with their claims.

Features Writer
Features Writer
HappyGirl, I believe the story you're describing is Jessi Mounts' "For Better Or For Worse." A great story--very well done.

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
KenJ mentioned Zara. Besides the wierd "birth wife", strangers could also marry in an arranged marriage. Jennifer Whatsername did inna movie...

Shallowford
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
strangers could also marry in an arranged marriage
In today's society, why would a marriage be arranged?

SQD(thanking everyone for responding)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by stopquitdont:
strangers could also marry in an arranged marriage
In today's society, why would a marriage be arranged?

SQD(thanking everyone for responding)
So your daughter wouldn't end up married to a super fast, super strong, flying alien? laugh

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

In some cultures, arranged marriages still exist, even though they are becoming more and more rare.

VirginiaR.
---
Kerth
Kerth
Random thought: does it have to be today's society? The idea about arranged marriages is good, but I kind of agree it's a little more unusual for this day and age... but if it was set in a different time period, or another Soulverse, you could make it so that it was an arranged marriage. *Thinking back to storybook days of princesses locked in towers or being forced into marriage for their country*

On a similar note, it could be an entirely different scenario. Say, perhaps, that (if Zara is either dead or had never been an issue) Clark was forced to marry a human as proof of an alliance between New Krypton and Earth. Of course, that would require a lot of manipulation of backstory and perhaps an Alternate universe altogether, but the fact that Lois and Clark were forced to marry against their will (each loving someone else, sort of like the Kal-El/Zara situation) could cause a lot of tension and resentment between them... just a thought. huh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
On a similar note, it could be an entirely different scenario. Say, perhaps, that (if Zara is either dead or had never been an issue) Clark was forced to marry a human as proof of an alliance between New Krypton and Earth. Of course, that would require a lot of manipulation of backstory and perhaps an Alternate universe altogether, but the fact that Lois and Clark were forced to marry against their will (each loving someone else, sort of like the Kal-El/Zara situation) could cause a lot of tension and resentment between them... just a thought. huh
Ooooh. I like this thought, Mouserocks. Cool idea.

VirginiaR.
---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard