Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
For those of you with some military history background: What kind of supplies would have been stored at a small military outpost, like on one of the Pacific islands, during WWII or during the Cold War? I'm assuming that there would be food that keeps well and a kitchen, first aid equipment, communications equipment. There must be some bedding for bunks. I guess there would be some kind of laundry facilities? Would there be a stash of clothing, or would every man be expected to arrive with his own? What about office supplies? They must have had typewriters, pens, and paper for all that military paperwork. This is just off the top of my head. Am I wrong about something? Have I missed something obvious? Would they have their own electric generator, or would the radio, etc. run on batteries?

TIA,

Happy

This *is* my happily ever after.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Definitely have a generator. Even the smallest units would have a hand cranked one to deal with batteries running out of juice. Remember that batteries have improved a lot in the last decades. Used to be a lot less power in one.

The smallest unit that would have a semi permanent base would probably be a company with about 120 troops.

For research purposes.
WW II Staff Officer\'s Field Manual for Amphibious Operations tells you exactly what a WW II Marine division packed for a trip. Broken up down to the person for some stuff with how much it all weighs and how much cargo space it takes.

Combat-Load that troops carry in Afghanistan. If that's what they carry then replacements for all that and more is at the base.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thank you! That's a terrific resource.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I continue to be amazed by the breadth and depth of knowledge of FoLCs, and their willingness to share it. smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Did a bit googling. Nike Missile Bases has 100 or so people. That has maps of a couple and a description of what buildings they had.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, D. I'm thinking of a much smaller installation, but I've decided that since it's going to be a secret place anyway, I can have it stocked pretty much any way I want to. The lists you posted gave me plenty of ideas to choose from.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard