Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
For those of you who have read more international thrillers than I have and/or actually know something about this IRL:

Suppose that there was an unexpected/accidental breach of territorial boundaries between the U.S. and a friendly country. For example, if a U.S. air force trainee accidentally intruded into Canadian or Mexican air space (not likely, I'm sure, but it's just an example). I'm sure there would be some sort of communication between the countries along the lines of (in Diplomatic Speak, of course) "Dude! What the hey!" "Sorry, man, my bad!" "Well, watch it, will ya?"

My question is: Between what departments/ministries and at what level would that conversation take place? Probably not Prime Minister to President. Minister to Secretary? of what? State? Defense? Homeland Security? CIA director?

Any ideas?

TIA,

Happy

This *is* my happily ever after.
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Hi HappyGirl,

"Dude! What the hey!" "Sorry, man, my bad!" "Well, watch it, will ya?"
rotflol

My guess is that the conversation will take place between the Ministries of Defence for each country, maybe liaised with each state's Department of International Affairs and Cooperation/Foreign Affairs. Maybe even include the Director of the Army/Air Force?

smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
Ah, the old "accidentally strayed" scenario laugh

I gather, though, that your first example of newbie error is not all that uncommon. Apologies handled immediately and between the respective commanders where the countries have a smooth relationship. (eg Canada & the US are both members of NORAD)

Was it last year that we (Canada) had a couple of Russian 'accidentals' across our North? Higher level diplomatic reassurances in that case, anyway. Also our Minister of Defence as well.

And was it last summer that one Latin American (one was Nicaragua, maybe) country accidentally invaded another because of a GIS error (Google maps can be misleading!) ?

Very famous historical case - Francis Gary Powers - US pilot over the USSR - he was treated as a spy, tried etc.

Sorry for the fuzziness of my example. Too lazy this morning to chase down the precise info. smile

The 'accidentally strayed' line is maybe code for 'yup, we were playing a bit of the spy guy, but.....'

c.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, guys. I don't know it this story will ever see the light of day, but if it does it will at least have the right people talking to each other.

Happy

This *is* my happily ever after.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard