#166017 05/29/11 07:58 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
...?

I'm tagging a question mark to the end of that because I remain ever hopeful.

This coming Wednesday, I'll send the last story in my upload queue to the Archive for upload. I have a grand total of 5 stories out being GE'd, but it seems unlikely any of them will come back in by the following week.

So, in the next week or so, it looks as though we might finally be heading for the day I've been dreading since taking on this job. The first week in the Archive's long history when we have no stories to upload.

Now, I know we've been incredibly fortunate in keeping weekly uploads going till now. Especially in a fandom this small and for a show long since consigned to TV history. I know that this day has always been inevitable at some point.

But I'd still like to avoid it if possible. laugh

Avenues of 'nagging' stories out of authors have dried up in the last couple of years. A source at the start of each year which previously would have netted us a clutch of a dozen or more stories now doesn't merit even a reply from the authors I email or PM. My latest nag here on the mbs netted us a total of two stories. I've tried PMing individual authors without result.

So, I guess it's up to you guys. Is it still important to you that you have stories uploaded to the Archive every week? Does it matter at all if we have to switch to once a month or something more irregular - the odd upload now and then when something comes into my mailbox?

I guess only time - and stories hitting my mailbox (or not) - will tell.... wink

Watch this space.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hey, LabRat,

There are some of us still wanting to Archive, but we're in the middle of posting our stories on the MB. (Or not quite in the middle, yet cool )

I'm willing to break my story (epic) into chunks for you and you can Archive the first 1/3 (when I finish posting Chapter 3 this week). Or do you want to wait until we have completed posting our stories on the MB?

From what I notice on the boards, there are still some newbies showing up every week. Don't give up on us L&C fans yet. PLEASE! I just discovered L&C last fall and I can't be the only one of my kind out there.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So there I was, working on this fanfic wiki, and I notice, "Huh. I can't believe I never sent those in. I guess I'd better add that to the to-do list." Later that night, I forgot completely. Cut to today, and this post, which is like a sudden slap on the noggin. goofy

Click, click, copy, paste, boom: One fic sent, and one more (Edit:) SENT. laugh

~•~
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Virginia, but the Archive only deals in completed stories. We don't upload stories in segments as other forums, such as FF for instance, do. But I appreciate the thought. sloppy

Thanks for the submissions, Mary. Might keep the wolf from the door for another week, at least.

I'm just wondering if there's some other, more productive way to ensure continuing submissions. These nagging posts every few months are all very well, but as they increasingly don't generate much in the way of results, we need something that produces submissions on an ongoing, regular basis.

I really don't mind the nagging laugh - but it seems pointless to do it if it only results in a couple of stories and then zero submissions again until the next nag. And when I have to spend hours sorting out the list of stories that never made it to the Archive at the start of the year, working out each author's email, sending out emails and PMs and getting mostly silence in return, that does get a tad discouraging, I'll confess. To the point where I'm wondering if it's even worth getting the list and putting that much of my free time in next year. frown

If there's another answer, I don't mind putting in the time, if it gets results. But, again, perhaps it's just the law of diminishing returns, something inevitable, and that's all there is to it. Like I say, we've been incredibly fortunate up until now for a show that's not got a huge fandom and isn't current.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, based on my own experiences, the only solution I can think of is Ginko Biloba. huh

~•~
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I've probably missed out on a lot of good stories because I only read a story when it gets to the archive.

Kerth
Kerth
Hi Lab Rat

Firstly, apologies because I know that I'm one of those authors who has received prompts from you and not replied. Actually, I replied the first time, and from then on, my answer was the same: 'I intend to archive my stories, but I'm too busy writing new stories right now,' so I stopped responding.

However, that doesn't mean your prompts/nags had no effect. Each time - at the very least - it reminded me that I should be preparing stories for the archive.

Re the time-consuming task of listing unarchived stories ... could you maintain a 'running' list? eg Every time a new story appears in the TOCs (and you do a lot of them) note the story and author in a file. Every time a story is archived, remove it from the list.

I think your 'nagging' wink should continue. Giving us updates about what is happening on the archive seems to spread the load so it becomes a FoLC (group) responsibility rather than just the responsibility of a few - or perhaps just one!

I'm sure many, many FoLCs appreciate your work (and that of the GEs) in maintaining the archive. clap clap

Corrina.

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Re the time-consuming task of listing unarchived stories ... could you maintain a 'running' list? eg Every time a new story appears in the TOCs (and you do a lot of them) note the story and author in a file. Every time a story is archived, remove it from the list.
Such a running list is already being compiled by one of the Index Crew. In recent years, it's become the habit for me to ask her in January for a copy of her list of stories which were posted on the mb during that year but never made it to the Archive.

The list I get just has titles, so I have to spend some time tracking down the authors here on the mbs and getting a hold of their emails/PM. It also takes a bit of time going through the list and working out how many of the stories are by the same author - so that I don't end up sending 20 emails to the same author. It's one of those tasks which is easy to do, but just a little - gosh, I'm blanking on anything but the Scots here...futery. goofy Very time consuming.

In the first few years of doing this it was a terrific source of submissions, usually producing enough of a batch of stories that would keep us going right into the middle of the year. But in the past year or so, it's hardly produced anything at all.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Um, my bad. I've got two short ones and I PROMISE to upload them tonight - as soon as I've unpacked my other computer.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I'm one of those who needs those prompts. The reason they don't often produce immediate results is simple. I'm lazy.

While I'm quite aware that it is my responsibility to send in my stories to the archives... if someone were to go ahead and shuffle off any of my MB stories that aren't already there to the archives... I wouldn't complain.

Tank (who should also point out that besides being lazy, he is old and the mind tends to drift and he never remembers which stories were uploaded and which ones weren't)

Features Writer
Features Writer
I've just sent two short ones in as well...from 2009. Suppose I get distracted sometimes. I used the prompts you sent me to remember which stories I hadn't uploaded...if I hadn't had them, I'd have been in trouble.

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow. I haven't woken up to a submissions inbox that full since January 2009. laugh Thanks, everyone!

While I'm quite aware that it is my responsibility to send in my stories to the archives... if someone were to go ahead and shuffle off any of my MB stories that aren't already there to the archives... I wouldn't complain.
Tank, I'm more than happy to cut and paste the text of your stories direct from the mbs and assign them to a GE, with the usual editing arrangement. Thanks. smile

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I had no idea we had a dearth of stories for the archive! frown I know I have two in the process of being GE'd... I just looked through my hard drive and found a short one that I wrote a year ago, so I'll send that one along... but can I tell you how much I've grown as a writer since I started doing this about a year ago?(The fic on my drive is dated July 2010.) And that's in huge part due to the wonderfully supportive community here and great beta readers! Thanks, guys! sloppy

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
hyper

/gets out tranq gun and goes looking for wayward muse/
She still got a half finished vigi hostage. Beside the longer one... And those that haven't even been started...

Michael

PS: No muses have been harmed in the process of writing this post. And even if they had been, they wouldn't be in a position to complain, now.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
/gets out tranq gun and goes looking for wayward muse/
PS: No muses have been harmed in the process of writing this post. And even if they had been, they wouldn't be in a position to complain, now.
thumbsup

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Two sent, three more complete ones that I am re-editting.

Oh, and one more that I am still writing. smile dance

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Dr. Klein:

Please please don't give up as editor! My story will be done in a couple of weeks! First it has to be posted and than sent to the archives. My short story is one of five that is in the process of being GE'd

I have another short story in the works. Thanks for the nag... we need them!!!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I don't know if you are aware that I have a long story in progress. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with several real life issues that I would love to ignore, but can't. I promise to work on it as often as I can, but it's going to be a while before it is done.

I do have a couple of shorter and much simpler ones started, and I'll try to get them done asap for the good of the Archive and the FOLC community.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
blush blush
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ErinK:
<strong> huh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've just thought of a way that you guys can keep tabs on the current level of submissions without me having to nag (although I still will if I have to laugh )

If the number of stories being uploaded to the Archive each week drops to one per week, then that's a surefire sign that the upload queue is getting dangerously low.

So if you notice that you're only getting one story per upload, then that might just be the perfect time to dust off that story you've been thinking of submitting and sending it in. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard