Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#165977 05/20/11 02:11 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi guys! Me and Deja have been working on the Folcdom Wiki , and were wondering if any of y'all would like to pitch in a little.

There's a lot that needs doing. What came to me a few seconds ago was the possibility of having pages about fanfic series FoLCs have written (perhaps a nice little explanatory summary with an ordered list of all the fics in it), and I thought about how Nan's Home series could apparently benefit well from such a page, and then I realized that I am *way* out of my depth when it comes to all the charts and family trees and whatnot pertaining to the Home series. So, if anybody wants to take a shot at it, it'd be appreciated.

Aside from that, we could use help with the following:

Show Episodes (officially Deja's department, so you can bug her with any questions there wink )
Canon and Show Trivia

Fanfic pages (my department)
Author profiles
FoLC profiles

Fandom information and trivia
..Other stuff.

So anyone interested? Every little bit helps. smile

~•~
#165978 05/20/11 04:46 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've started on making a Series list. Some of Nan Smiths which I'm rereading and Authors A.

Is this useful? I'll go back and add a page for each with the list of fics and links in a bit.

#165979 05/21/11 01:49 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Don't forget that Pam created a Series page and Artemis created a family tree, both of which are linked on the archive. You can copy (or link) the information from there. smile

<-- was rereading some of Home yesterday, and was thankful for both!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#165980 05/21/11 11:20 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I plan on linking to that as well. But if there is a wiki it should be in there as well.

#165981 05/21/11 02:17 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, guys! thumbsup

~•~
#165982 05/21/11 04:59 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've added a Kerth template. Someone with more artistic talent should edit it to look good. It is at Template:kerth and you use it in a wikia page by {{kerth|what|when}} so {{kerth|Winner|2011}} would create a box with
Kerth
Winner
in it where you put the template.

#165983 05/29/11 06:28 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hm, does anybody know if there's a solid list of size categories? (e.g. short, long, uberlong, Masques) I was looking around the Archive and Kerth site, and only found a blurb on fudging the rules based on how big each years' entries are.

For that matter, I'd like to start tagging fics with their appropriate categories...if I can get straight what categories we'll be using. For example, I'm thinking "Angst" will be used but "Stories in which Clark eats donuts" will not. :p

The list as it stands now is:
Angst
Comedy
WAFF

Gfic
NFic - by Authors' Permission Only

Series

Challenge Fic
Cross-Over
Kid Fic
Episode Rewrite
->TOGOM laugh
Next Gen
Revelation
I know there's others, but its' not coming to me... help

~•~
#165984 05/29/11 07:47 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Archive uses these keyword themes:

Pregnancy/Childbirth

Wedding

Revelation - Lois

Revelation - Others

Comedy

Drama

Action

Tearjerker/Angst

Dating/Romance

Holiday/Special Event (Christmas, Valentine's Day, Birthdays, Anniversaries etc.)

Elseworld (major changes from the show's universe pre-pilot)

Alt-Universe (the alt-universe we saw on the show or other alt-worlds)

A-plot

Episode Related (To include Episode Rewrites, Missing Scenes, Episode Adaptations, Episode Tag-ons etc - basically any story which deals with a episode)

TUFS

Season Five/Season Six
Series

Round Robin

Villain - Lex

Villain - Tempus

Villain - Other (to include stories about Diana,
Trask, etc.)

Krypton/New Krypton

Deathfic

Poem/Song (to include fanfic which is written in the *format* of a poem or song only.)

Crossover

Main character not L&C (to get any Jimmy, Perry, Martha, Jonathan stories)

Challenge Fic
If that gives you any ideas for others you'd want to include.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#165985 05/29/11 08:55 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Sweet! Thanks, Labby. smile

~•~
#165986 05/30/11 01:38 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I *think* the fudging has only come with the mid-length and epic, but we've also had changes in the categories over the years. The list is at http://www.kerthawards.com/2011categories.html , which has the current size limits. Here are the limits from 2004.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#165987 05/30/11 10:58 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Karen! There first link isn't working for some reason, but the second will be useful. ^^

~•~
#165988 05/31/11 02:50 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Fixed. Silly commas wanting to be part of the link. :rolleyes:

#165989 05/31/11 05:07 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You have my permission to add the Home Charts to the wiki. I don't really know how to do that. I worked with Nan on the charts and she endorsed them. I think the big version would be clearer on the new computers. The files are stored here:
http://www.folcsite.com/misc/bighomegen.jpg
http://www.folcsite.com/misc/bighomegen2.jpg
and
http://www.folcsite.com/misc/Homenames.jpg

The small charts are designed to fit the UBB boards here. Here's what the small chart looks like:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then you won't have to link through the Archive.

clap
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#165990 06/01/11 02:09 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks very much, Artemis smile

~•~
#165991 06/02/11 04:47 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You are welcome, Queenie. I just used the sharpen tool on the files and they both read better. Enjoy!
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#165992 06/04/11 05:27 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Yes, thanks for the help! smile We need all that we can get!

If anyone wants a brief Wiki lesson, you can always PM me or Queen of the Capes.

If you'd like to help but don't want to have to create a page, there are tons of pages that simply need more content. For instance, as of this post, a page Queen of the Capes made for one of her stories does not yet have content here --that will give you an idea of the template for story articles on the Wiki. Or (as another "for instance") you could add an episode summary or picture to Neverending Battle . Even if you only take two minutes and make one change, it will be a great help! The Wiki is at 400+ pages, with thousands more to go (there are 3,500 stories at the lcfanfic archive!) and lots of content to be added to already-created pages. Any tiny bit helps!

Right now, I personally am working on the trivia part of episodes. I'd like the episode pages to look a lot like what is present for the Pilot . But it's a long process!

#165993 06/11/11 04:14 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
If anybody wants to pitch in a little but isn't sure where to start:

1.As of this writing, the A Section of the fanfics category has a page for every fic in the A section of the archive. However, these pages are mostly empty forms; there are sections for "author", "rating", etc. that need to be filled in. Much of this information can be copy-pasted from the archive, but some (such as summary, characters, and trivia/other) might come more easily to someone who's read the fic in question. What you do, and how much, is up to you.

2. The Numbered Titles Section is in a similar condition to the above, with the exception that these pages (having been created before the current layout plan) aren't as thoroughly sectioned. You can help fill out what's there, or, if you're wiki-savvy, help fix up the pages themselves with a better layout. It's up to you.

3. If you *do* want to make a page from whole cloth, there's plenty of ground that needs to be covered: We still need fanfics from B and onward, as well as anything from the message boards that isn't on the archive.

And that's not all that needs doing. So yeah, every little bit helps; there's something for everyone to do. smile

~•~
#165994 06/11/11 04:24 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Another keyword theme that's needed is 'Pre-series' - I've just used it in the page for my story "Arrival," is that all that's necessary? Have I done it right?

I noticed that the page template for that one had links for the story on the mboards and archive, the one for my story 419 only had a link for the archive. Is there a reason for that?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#165995 06/11/11 05:14 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
Another keyword theme that's needed is 'Pre-series' - I've just used it in the page for my story "Arrival," is that all that's necessary? Have I done it right?
Pretty much. smile
The categories don't seem to use commas, so I took the liberty of tweaking it a little. But thanks! ^_^

I noticed that the page template for that one had links for the story on the mboards and archive, the one for my story 419 only had a link for the archive. Is there a reason for that?
The 419 page was made before I thought of the new layout, and I haven't gone back and fixed all of them. That's really the only reason. ^^

~•~
#165996 06/12/11 12:13 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
[b] Another keyword theme that's needed is 'Pre-series' - I've just used it in the page for my story "Arrival," is that all that's necessary? Have I done it right?
Pretty much. smile
The categories don't seem to use commas, so I took the liberty of tweaking it a little. But thanks! ^_^

The 419 page was made before I thought of the new layout, and I haven't gone back and fixed all of them. That's really the only reason. ^^ [/b]
Sorry, you mentioned that in an earlier post and I missed picking up on it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard