Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#165947 04/28/11 09:58 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Everyone:

My name is Virginia R. and have just started posting my extra long story.

If you haven't started reading it, it is Missing Lois and what I've posted so far can be found at Missing Lois TOC

Both Lynn and LabRat suggested that I could use the help of a BR or two.

When I say my story is extra long, I mean it's 10 Chapters long, in which most of the chapters are approx. 50K words (200KB) long.

This mostly romance storyline takes place concurrently with the entire fourth season, explains who the baby is, where it came from, what happens after the season 4 finale, as well as the alternate dimension's Clark's search and discovery his Lois.

If you don't like Alt. Universe, H.G. Wells, Lex Luthor or relationship WHAMs (toys put back, I promise), this might not be the story for you.

I would rate most of the installments TV-13, due to adult subject matter and some violence; although no major characters die, some do get injured from time to time.

I’d love any feedback regarding superfluous (extra) scenes, whether I should break it into smaller installments, flow, humor/witty dialogue, characterization (especially the supporting cast) and make sure it stays within or below the TV-13 rating. My spelling and grammar is acceptable, but sometimes everyone makes mistakes (I find sometimes I transpose my hims and hers when I'm writing fast), so catching anything like that would also be helpful. I'm currently tying together all my strings and pulling my story to a close and realizing that I'm going to have to make some changes to some of my earlier chapters to make it flow properly.

This is the first time I have posted a story to the message boards and could use suggestions on how to speed up the transfer from WORD 2007 format to MessageBoard format. Hitting return after every paragraph is going to eat into my valuable writing time; not to mention, cramp my hand muscles. And adding an extra line with line spacing didn't work. ARG! Changing it to Text Format just created gobbly-gook.

Anyway, if you are intersted or have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact me by replying to this posting or via e-mail at lc.VirginiaR@gmail.com

Thank you for your consideration.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#165948 04/28/11 10:37 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Virginia!

Regarding the Word2007->Message Board process.

There are three options:
a) you already write in message board format, i.e. use double linebreaks and the text-archive-style symbol for emphasis, the asterisk, or the UBB-codes.

b) I've been procrastinating (read: RL was bad to me) on the development of my docx->UBB code converter. Basically, it takes paragraphs, bold text, italics, and something well defined for scene breaks and gives you the re-formatted text fit for the boards. Your 2MB-offer of a story just made me realize there's imminent need blush shock Will see... the weekend's up ahead.

c) You use the search&replace feature of Word, replacing the "^p" with "^p^p". "^p" is the 'escaped' symbol for a paragraph in Word. But that's just the paragraph and doesn't deal with italics, etc.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#165949 04/28/11 01:08 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Or, convert your document to html (in most versions of Winword it's Save As -> HTML filtered.) Run that through one of the HTML to UBB converters. (There's one at HTML to UBB converter ) clap

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#165950 05/01/11 05:45 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks Lynn and Darth Michael for your suggestions on the ^p converstion to ^p^p, it worked properly. That problem solved.

I also went through and added UBB Code for changing all my Italics; it was easier than using the UBB Code buttons, since I had so much to change. Daily Planet became Daily Planet in Find All and presto chango all fixed.

I would still love some BR readers to make sure my plot lines work.

Dandello, I tried your converter, but all it did was erase all the formating instead of add it. Perhaps, I misunderstood it's use.

Again, thank you for all your advice.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#165951 05/14/11 04:07 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi all interested Beta Readers:

If you do not want to see spoilers for Missing Lois , please turn back now.

Lynn has been helping me out by BRing Chapters 2 and 3. I'll soon need people to help out by BRing Chapter 4 (or 3 and 4).

Spoilers below...

In Chapter 3, Missing Lois delves more into Mayson and Alt. Clark's relationship as it comes to a resolution. Then into Lois and Alt. Clark's relationship, which becomes a lot more complicated.

Chapter 4 is entitled The Rescue of Mrs. Luthor , which if you've been reading my story will be when Alt. Clark finds his Lois. There is tons of complicated storylines developing in this chapter and could definitely use some help.

If you are interested in BRing for me, please look at my initial post for details on contacting me. Thank you for your interest.

VirginiaR.
---

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard