Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#165797 03/28/11 07:36 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
In my fic, I have Clark making Lois a dinner of chicken with a mushroom sauce, and rice. What type of wine would Clark pick to go along with this main course?

Other things in the dinner would be a green salad and some steamed vegetables. It isn't an incredibly ambitious dinner, more of a "two friends getting together" dinner.

I am not very savvy about wine and would appreciate advice. Any suggestions?

#165798 03/29/11 12:41 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I'd assume that the mushroom sauce would be a white, delicate sauce.

Maybe this table would help?

I'd say a Chardonnay (take a look at this Wikipedia page) would be good.

malu

#165799 03/29/11 02:58 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
It depends on the type of mushroom sauce. Chicken marsala is made with marsala, which is a red wine. There are also cream sauces, some of which can be made with white wine or chicken broth.

I'm not a wine drinker, either, so I'm really no help. Sorry. Every time a recipe calls for wine, I panic and try to figure out what kind of little bottles will work!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#165800 03/29/11 03:31 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I got the impression Iolan was asking about wine to serve with the meal, not as an ingredient. Given that it's a more casual, friendly dinner, I don't think you need to stress too much about the wine. One easy solution would be for Clark to ask Lois whether she prefers red or white, and open whichever she selects.

In general, a heavier meal goes best with a fuller bodied wine, while a lighter dish is served with a lighter wine. Both reds and whites can be fuller or lighter, and while the very general "rule" is that reds go better with beef/pork while white goes with chicken/fish, it really depends on the dish itself. The dish you've described seems more in the middle to me in terms of richness (especially if it's a cream sauce), so you're really flexible -- you could go with a medium-bodied red like Merlot or Shiraz or a medium-bodied white like Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. smile

Kathy (now I want to eat with them wink )

#165801 03/29/11 05:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When in doubt, go Rosé or blush wine. A really casual dinner is even wine-in-a-box. That's been looked down on in past years, but is gaining acceptance now.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#165802 03/29/11 04:26 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm rather short-sighted and convinced an Australian Shiraz goes with everything. Nothing says casual at my house quite like a bottle of Yellow Tail.

cool
JD
(wants to drink with them)

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#165803 03/29/11 05:54 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
For purposes of this fic, the wine is to drink with the meal, it's not being added to the food.

Also, at least for right now, the chicken is made with a creamy mushroom sauce. The sauce I'm envisioning is whitish or cream-colored. I'm not sure what kind of mushrooms they are - maybe they're just the little button mushrooms, or would Clark do something with shiitake or portabella? (the only other mushroom types that I know smile )

Does that change anyone's recommendations?

Thanks everyone, for your responses!

#165804 03/29/11 07:47 PM
C
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
C
Is the type of wine important? Otherwise why not simply say that Clark chose wine to go with the meal?

#165805 03/30/11 03:41 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How about Sauvignon Rosé? I think Sauvignon Blanc would be a little light for chicken. It would do better with fish.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard