wave

Well, looks like now it’s my turn. So much for my running total wink

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Alternate Universe / Elseworld / Next Gen Story, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 10.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Monday by 11:59 p.m.

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here .

Please post your answers here .

Hope you’ll have a good time with it smile
Michael

B
E
S
T

A
L
T
E
R
N
A
T
E

U
N
I
V
E
R
S
E
--
E
L
S
E
W
O
R
L
D
--
N
E
X
T

G
E
N

S
T
O
R
Y

Quote #1:
“Ruben, I have a confession of my own. My name isn’t really Susan.”

Quote #2:
"It's like this, Lois," said Tempus, rising from the chair. "The only thing I really want from you is your absence."

Quote #3:
Clark Kent was in New York last night promoting his new book.

Quote #4:
With all of those, and all of the other crazy laws still on the books, was it *possible* that sleeping in the same bed in Lowell County made you legally married?

Quote #5:
But when you came and took Clark away from me, you acted like he was your own private property, and the moment he went back to the States, you turned into the town bike.

Quote #6:
When Mom first suggested the costume for helping out, I hadn't been crazy about the idea. Dad hadn't either actually - he thought it would make people think I had something to hide.

Quote #7:
Clark quietly finished. "And, well, when I met the other Lois, I knew I had to go back and find you."

Quote #8:
She knew where she had seen Charlie King before. Ten years ago. Her guardian angel.

Quote #9:
"This car is unable to anticipate any of my desires," Kal complained.

Quote #10:
"Wait... what are you suggesting?" Clark asked, befuddled. "That I give you all my notes and play dead while you take all the credit for my work? I guess what they say about you is true then, isn't it?"

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Excerpt #1:
“Oh, honey, I’ve never heard you so cynical. It’s just not like you.”

“He’s been Clark too long, that’s what it is,” Pete put his two cents in around a mouthful of mashed potatoes.

“What do you mean?” asked Martha.

Pete swallowed before answering. “I mean that when he’s in his Clark Kent persona, he’s actually the least able to be himself, and it makes him cranky.”

Excerpt #2:
"Where is he now?" asked Lois.

"He is dead," the other Clark stated simply.

Lois looked confused. "What is it?" her counterpart asked.

"I just don't understand why a former tennis pro would want to do that," Lois said.

"Tennis pro?" the other Lois and her husband said together.

"Yes," replied Lois. "Lex Luthor was a world-class tennis player in the '80s when he injured himself and had to stop playing."

Her Clark continued, "He was quite a playboy but went bankrupt. Now he does infomercials for hair products and exercise equipment."

The other Lois looked again at her husband, and they both sputtered before bursting into uncontrollable laughter.

Excerpt #3:
"Did I hear someone scream?" Lois asked as she entered the room.

"Ah, I think I just met your sister," Clark told her with a wry smile. He finished starting the coffee before he looked up at Lois. She was wearing a tee shirt and shorts, but without his super eyes he could tell she'd left off her bra. If not for the sudden intrusion moments before, he would have taken advantage of that situation.

"Then I'm glad you spent the night with me," Lois said as she eased up beside him. "Could you imagine the fright you'd have given her if you'd been in the bedroom?"

"Yeah," Clark agreed with a chuckle. He leaned over to place a kiss on Lois' nose before he headed around the counter. "I should probably put a shirt on."

"Damn, Lucy," Lois mumbled.

Excerpt #4:
Jimmy bounded up to them as they waited for the car to arrive. "CJ! My man! I heard the big news. Congratulations!"

"CJ?" Lois asked with a raised brow.

Jimmy shrugged. "I tried calling him CL but it didn't really work very well."

"I still don't know how he figured out my middle name is Jerome. At least not legally," he said with a pointed look in the younger man's direction.

"I have my sources," Jimmy replied mysteriously. "But seriously, I heard the news through the office grapevine over the weekend. Congratulations to both of you. Lois *Lane*," he tried with a bit of a far-off look on his face. "Has a nice ring to it."

Excerpt #5:
"Thanks," she said. "Now, you can't throw the ball; you handball it." She took his left hand and opened it, palm up, and placed the ball on it. "Clench your right fist," she said. "And punch the ball off your hand."

He did as she said, and the ball lobbed towards her. She caught it and handballed it back to him. He tried again, more confidently this time.

She sent it back with a smile. "Three more skills," she said. "Smother, bump, tackle."

All of the words suggested contact, and Clark swallowed.

"Kick it," Lois said.

He stepped back and dropped the ball to his foot. A blur of pink flew across the path of his foot, and he pulled his kick. Lois landed on the ground, the ball buried under her. Clark fell to his knees beside her and tried to help her up, sure he had hurt her. "Lois! I'm sorry."

Excerpt #6:
"You're the one who got the article published in the Daily Planet?" one of the guys asked me.

I nodded, feeling pleased that they knew of me.

"That's so cool!" one of the other guys said. "Why doesn't he have a spot on the Titan now?" he asked Paul.

"You know our policy on freshmen," Paul said.

"What about Linda and Lois?" a third guy asked.

"They're hot!" one of them responded and the guys all laughed.

"Is that why they're on the paper?" I asked, suddenly remembering why I was there.

Excerpt #7:
Papa Ludu looked disdainfully at the messenger boy and then back at Lois. He fired a shot above the boy's head as a warning, which made Lois jump out of her skin. Papa Ludu smiled wickedly at her, enjoying her fear. She could see possibilities play in his mind about what he might do with her, and she thought she might throw up from the sheer terror welling inside her.

"Don't try anything while I'm gone," he warned. He stood over her as if expecting an answer. She made herself nod.

He smiled, pleased with the results of his intimidation. She'd make a lovely plaything, he thought, and toys could wait.

"I will have a little fun with you later. I'll probably kill you, but I'll wait," he mused aloud.

Excerpt #8:
"Girlfriend got a little bit too drunk," one of the men explained when he spotted Clark watching them.

Clark nodded. He'd carried enough of his friends home while in college to know what that was all about. They approached him on the sidewalk and he smiled in understanding.

As they got up beside him, the woman suddenly turned, grabbing onto his jacket. "What about you, handsome? You wanna dance?"

Clark reached up to pry the woman's hands off his jacket when he caught his first sight of her face, staring up at him through blurry eyes. For a moment in time, the world around him seemed to stand still.

"Lois," he whispered.

Excerpt #9:
"I can't tell you any more like this, dear," Martha replied. "Just promise me you'll come out to Smallville. We could really use your help."

"I can be out there by tomorrow morning," Lois told her.

"Thank you. Oh, and another thing, Lois."

"Yeah?"

"Don't bother buying a return ticket."

Excerpt #10:
Early the next day, Clark boarded the ferry that would take him back to Metropolis. Hands in his pockets, he took one last, long look at Gotham, its tall, gothic buildings bathed in the early morning light.

As he watched the sun breathe new life and hope into this darkest of cities, Clark couldn't help but think that perhaps Gotham wasn't as bad as he'd always believed.

After all... Gotham City had Lois Lane.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.