Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#165324 02/02/11 11:10 AM
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I have had the germ of an idea for what would ultimately be a series of stories.

I have started working on an outline with points to hit, characters etc.

When I took creative writing I simply started fleshing out the outline I had created until I had the content I was satisfied with. This is sooooo much more expansive, it is intimidating. I am picturing possibly a dozen stories in the set. All starting with Herb and his attemt to help Alt 1 Clark.

Is that the best way to go with this.

Anyone out there willing to give a bumbling rookie some advice?

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
#165325 02/02/11 01:51 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, welcome, rookie!

Now for the advice... listen closely... here it is...

Just start writing. smile

All kidding aside, that's what I did. And I was pretty rough for awhile. Start writing, start looking it over, ask for a beta (people on these boards are incredibly nice about it, and I've had some wonderful betas) and just throw yourself out there. It's scary but fun.

Everyone on the boards loves to read new writers so it would be great to see your stories!

(Now, I'll leave the thread clear for those who have actual *helpful* advice...)

#165326 02/02/11 02:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL, IolantheAlias. So true, so true.
Welcome KenJ.
If you want to dip your toe in the water, you could start with a short story at some point in your plan. I rely heavily on feedback in this forum. Be warned that once you start writing, your plot may change of its own volition. We blame the detours and changes on our "Muse." When that happens, my advice is to go with the flow and listen to your muse.
Size really doesn't matter, but when I'm writing I try to make 14 word pages a chapter (roughly 5,500 words). The need of filling the space actually sparks ideas for me.
Since you are writing about Alt Clark, you can use that episode as a springboard and get ideas there. It also then ties it to the LnC world we are familiar with.
When you have something done, ask for a beta reader. Find them here: Beta Readers
Good Luck!
Artemis
Oh, if you can't find your post here tomorrow, look in "Fanfic Related". I have a suspicion LabRat will move it.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#165327 02/03/11 04:57 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I have a suspicion LabRat will move it.
Oh, you know me so well.... goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard