It's that time again! This is Kerth Quiz #3 - Best Short Story (11-50k).

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Short Story, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 10.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Tuesday by 11:59 p.m.

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here.

Please post your answers here.

Good luck!

(Have I mentioned that you can still volunteer to write a quiz?) wink

B

E

S

T

S

H

O

R

T

S

T

O

R

Y

Quote #1:
"He asked me to wish you a Merry Christmas and he hoped his gift would make it that much merrier," the manager added.

Quote #2:
"Lois Lane, I presume?"

Quote #3:
"I'm a big girl, Clark. I can handle it. Besides it will be fun, and it will help us get to understand each other better. Please!"

Quote #4:
"Not at all," Clark said. "Both my wife and I firmly believe in the fidelity of marriage."

Quote #5:
Lois cocked her head to the side, frowning. "You know, I think it's the first time I've ever kissed a guy only to have him complain about it afterwards..."

Quote #6:
To paraphrase Rick: Forget about Paris. You'll always have Detroit!

Quote #7:
"You know, Asabi, I quite like this new tailor," Lex commented idly as he strolled back to his study.

Quote #8:
"Now, if you are interested in learning more about Clark Kent, I'm happy to help you. If you want to learn more about Superman… well, as you said, you've spent more time with him than I have. I think you'll find, though, that all you don't know about Superman is Clark Kent."

Quote #9:
"'Cause I'm not goin' to explain to the Colonel why I didn't take guardin' the artifacts seriously."

Quote #10:
"As for how long I've known Clark? Really, just since the League has been in existence." Diana continued. "I'd only heard of him before then."

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Excerpt #1:
Martha was setting up a ceramic nativity scene that had seen better days, but instead of the standard stable with its animals, there was a Lincoln Log cabin with the animals on the outside looking in.

Excerpt #2:
That's when I realize he's so preoccupied with my neck that he's forgotten what we were talking about. I reach up and cover his hand with my own, bringing his gaze back to mine. "You were telling me that you'd like to come in, but…what? I have coffee breath? You hear someone that needs saving? You had a terrible time tonight and never want to see me again?"

Excerpt #3:
It's all Clark's fault! He put these doubts in my mind -- questioning my professionalism in having dinner with Lex. He made me so mad -- calling me a snob. I can't believe I blurted out my three rules to him. I've never shared those with anyone. Even when he's challenging me, there's something about Clark that I can rely on. I feel more comfortable with Clark than I did with Lex. With Clark, what you see is what you get. He's predictable and safe. I'm not so sure about Lex. The only time I've felt uncomfortable with Clark was this morning when he answered his door wet and wrapped only in a towel. Another "professional" moment for Lois Lane.

Excerpt #4:
Lois glanced at him, marvelling that he had even managed to cultivate an uneasy blush across his cheeks. And his expression was perfect -- the man who'd had what he'd thought was a good idea, only to discover it really wasn't such a good idea after all.

Excerpt #5:
No matter what he chose to do, Clark realized that he would end up having to give up his secret identity in order for them to get to safety. Enabling the thugs to match Clark Kent's face with Superman's identity was definitely not an appealing choice, but the reporter wasn't very well known in this city and Clark was fairly certain that no one had seen him closely enough yet, so getting out of there before they had that chance was his best option.

Excerpt #6:
TribbleMaker's diatribe was bad enough, but BillsFan's "encouragements" were even worse – She actually thought Lois was a beginning writer! Lois -- the three-time Kerth winning journalist. Lois -- the author who was well on her way to finishing her first romance novel.

Excerpt #7:
He reached for the bottle, and opened it with a decisive twist of the corkscrew. A small amount was poured into the snifter, and he held it in the palm of his hand, warming it up just a touch. He sniffed the drink expertly, and picked out the oaky flavors within the alcohol. This was a fine bottle indeed.

Excerpt #8:
I had to admit though, that that seemed improbable. I wasn't really sure why, except for the fact that Clark Kent looked nothing like his parents. In all likelihood, it was just a random kid. Not sure if they stole his picture or he had modeled for it, but whatever, it made a very realistic yearbook.

Excerpt #9:
By now, Lois had completely disassociated herself from her arm, imaging that the limb was a mere appendage that did its mistress' bidding as it grabbed the squiggling body and pulled it away from her hair. Her once clean, shiny, bouncy hair. Hair, she'd probably need to cut off and burn when this endeavor was over.

Excerpt #10:
"Oh, you mean am I angry?" Her smile was a bit sad. "Maybe a little. It's kind of hard to be too angry with a guy who tells Wonder Woman that I'm beautiful, and tells Batman how brilliant I am." She shook her head. "No, I'm not really mad, what I am is hurt." She held up her hand to forestall his protest. "You know I have trust issues. I'm sure you felt you had good reasons for keeping this secret from me, and I'm sure we'll be able to get through this... we will. I just need a little time to work through it in my own mind. We'll talk... tomorrow, we'll talk. I promise." She stepped onto the outer stoop.