Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Sorry, this is actually for a Movieverse story, but help would be appreciated.

Assuming that the Daily Planet behaves like American newspapers in the real world, what days would issues be published over the next couple of weeks, with Christmas and New Year's Day both being on the weekend?

Second, I'm not sure how public holidays work in America; in Britain Xmas and the following day are public holidays, and if either is on the weekend the holiday is extended for the appropriate number of days after the weekend. The same applies to New Year's Day. So this year the Monday and Tuesday after Xmas, and the Monday after the New Year, are public holidays.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Newspapers here are published 365 days a year. The Christmas day papers are usually thin (well, except for all of the advertising circulars)and mostly fluff pieces that could have been written weeks prior.

Our holidays work the same way that yours do. If a major holiday falls on a weekend, then companies make it a three day weekend that year.

Joy,
Lynn

Merriwether
Merriwether
There's a small exception for the holiday weekends. For instance, if Christmas Eve is on Saturday and Christmas is on Sunday, then the 4-day weekend would be Friday (CE observed) and Monday (CD observed). I think NYE is observed on Friday as well.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks - that fits in with what I'm writing.

Marcus L. Rowland
Top Banana
Top Banana
Here's a link to the official U.S. Federal government list:

U.S. Federal Holidays 2010

For Federal government purposes, Christmas Day is a holiday (observed on Friday this year because it falls on Saturday), but Christmas Eve is not. Boxing Day is not recognized in the U.S.

The complication is that individual states have their own holiday schedules, so you could make New Troy have any schedule that works for your story. Private businesses also are free to set their own schedules. For example, my husband works for a private Catholic university, so, although not a federal holiday, they always have Good Friday off. And, because our area is highly Catholic, the public schools also take Good Friday off, even though it's not a federal holiday. In areas with large Jewish populations, the public schools will often take off for the major Jewish holidays, etc.

HTH,

Happy

This *is* my happily ever after.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
In the end I managed to write around it - the story is here:

http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-23982/MarcusRowland+What+I+Did+in+my+Christmas+Vacation.htm

Marcus L. Rowland
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Marcus: I loved it! I particularly liked the plays on words in the last few paragraphs.

And Cat... she's got a brain under that ditzy exterior of hers. I hope she does never find out the true story. smile

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks!

Marcus L. Rowland

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard