Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Muffin Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
I have posted several times on the boards, and I can't get anyone to respond. I would appreciate it if I could get some help. It seems that everyone else who posts gets responses. Feeling a little miffed here, people.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Hmm. I did a search for you by member number, and the only thing I found besides this one was a "looking for fic" post. It's possible that no one responded to that request because no one remembered the story you were describing. I know that I did not, but I don't know the history of the boards all that well.

Maybe if you post some feedback on some other stories you'd get a quicker response. The message counter on the bottom of your post says '3,' so you can't have posted all that often, at least not as Muffin. If people have some idea of who you are behind the nickname, sometimes they're more likely to respond quickly. Sometimes, also, it just takes some time.

And I'm sorry that you feel miffed. I doubt that it's intentional. I understand your feelings, because sometimes I post a story part and I don't get many feedback responses. Other times they seem to cascade down the mountain. It just depends on a lot of factors, not the least of which being whether or not someone reading has anything constructive to say.

I like your user name. Is that a current nickname, an old school name, or do you like to bake? I don't cook at all, but I do like to eat.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, to be fair, unless there's some glitch on the forum settings, it has you down as only making 3 posts, so far.

I've checked 'recent posts'. One post was in a thread of posters chiming in with instances of people they knew who had names like those used in LNC. Your contribution was pretty rhetorical and didn't really require a response, so it doesn't surprise me that it didn't get a direct answer. It was just one posted example among many others.

Post two was a story query. Sometimes, these don't get responses if no one knows the answer to your question. People feel fairly redundant just posting to say, "Sorry, can't help you, haven't a clue." They often don't feel that helps any. So you're not alone in that one. Incidentally, you say in that post that it's the third time you've posted that question...which would make a total of 5 posts.... confused

And, of course, post three would be this one, I guess.

Not all of the posts on the forum will get a response. That doesn't necessarily mean it's been ignored. Probably a lot of people have read it, but just haven't seen the need to respond to it for one reason or another.

Three...or five...posts aren't really enough evidence of anything. If you'd posted 10 or 20 and got no response, now that would be something to worry about. laugh But it's actually well within the average of posts not replied to on the forum as a whole.

So my advice would be to just keep posting. I'm sure you'll break your unlucky streak soon. I mean, hey, look...you got your first response right here. wink

ETA: Or second response. Terry beat me to it. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Also note this week is a holiday season in the US for Thanksgiving. Posts tend to be fewer during holidays because people are busy.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Muffin Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
I know I haven't posted that often overall, but I did post this latest question three different times. It didn't count it as three different times on the site because I edited the title three different times hoping that that would get a response (Hence, the title of the last post). I was not trying to be difficult with anyone, but there were other people who were posting with similar questions who were getting responses. I don't mind if someone doesn't know the answer to my question, but it felt a little aggravating to see all the other posts getting some attention and mine not getting any response after being up for nearly two weeks.

As for my first post, I didn't expect a response from that at all. I was referring only the post from November 17, 2010.

I greatly enjoy reading the stories posted here. I really just recently rediscovered this place (probably why I haven't posted all that often) and thought that given so many people having such a wealth of knowledge about the LnC universe on this site that someone might know the story I was referring to. I appreciate the responses and would like to become a "regular" around here. I also would like to try my hand at writing some fic if that is possible. It seems like a very warm and friendly, tight-knit community. Believe me when I say that I have a great respect for those authors who toil over the stories they post here. Thank you to all who responded.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Muffin,

I hadn't responded to your question because I figured it would be a waste of readers' time to see an "I don't know the story you're talking about." If I had known it, I would have posted.

You are right; this is a very welcoming group, and it is very gentle with newbie fiction writers. I know -- I speak from personal experience. Prior to joining this group earlier this year, I had written almost no fiction before. I have found that the group as a whole is very positive in the feedback that is left. Pretty much everyone here subscribes to the "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" philosophy. But if you specifically ask for constructive feedback, you will probably get some helpful, gently phrased, advice.

The one piece of advice I would give you now: If you do decide to write some fanfic, ask for a beta reader (BR) or two (or three) to look over your story and give you suggestions before you post it. Pretty much every author I have communicated with -- from complete newbies to multiple-award-winners -- has stated how valuable their BRs' input proved to be. I know that my own stories would be much the worse without my BRs' feedback.

We are always eager to read fanfic from new authors. So if your muse offers you a story, by all means write it up! smile

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Welcome to the boards, hopefully-no-longer-miffed Muffin smile

One pretty good way of getting a response is posting a short "hi, I'm new here" message, maybe in the Off Topic section. Those usually get prompt friendly replies.

Also, as Artemis mentioned, a lot of people are off their normal schedule for the Thanksgiving holiday, so that'll slow things down some.

Please do try your hand at fanfic! smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard