Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164210 07/07/10 06:48 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Does anyone know how much money someone might be paid for selling an article to a newspaper like the Daily Planet in 1986? Not a large article, but it will be on the front page (don't know if that makes any difference).

Also, is there a standard rate or would someone like Perry have the power to pay a bit more if he were tying to encourage a young reporter?

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#164211 07/07/10 04:14 PM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Most freelance journalists are paid per word. The following factors would influence that amount paid per word:

- amount of time spent researching writing article
- would it be something the competition would be interested in?
- is there anyone else who could supply the same story?
- would it appear on page one?

I would think that Perry would start out negotiations with a standard per word amount and expect the freelancer to bring up valid reasons for more pay, like those above. Perry would certainly be able to establish the rate and if he thought he would get more quality articles or follow-ups from the freelancer he might add some extra $.

Found an interesting article that might give you some ideas: freelance pay rates report

Amy smile1

#164212 07/08/10 12:38 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Actually, the last post is incorrect. At most U.S. papers, a flat rate is paid for freelance work. For example, most high-school sports stories are paid between $65 and $75 for the story, with other types of work differing, such as contributing reviewers of books or movies being paid less, or travel features being paid more. When I was doing freelance covering NCAA Division I football, I was paid more than $100 a story -- and I was still in college.

I know of no major publication that pays by the word -- that is generally done at magazines, not newspapers -- and I say that knowing A LOT of freelancers (including, at times, both my husband and myself).

Honestly, the chances of a freelancer getting a story on the front page of a paper like The Daily Planet are slim to nil. If something was submitted, the Metro editors would likely assign it to a staff reporter and they would treat it as a news tip -- but may give a contributing tagline to the freelancer at the end of the story, such as "Additional reporting by Lois Lane."

But, for the sake of fiction, let's suspend fact and say that in 1986, I'd say that they'd probably pay about $75 for a non-lead story on the front page -- and, when you consider Lois' lack of experience (I assume she is who you are talking about), that is a very generous amount of pay. Like I said, pay depends on what type of story it is, and the assigning editor would make the determination on how much to pay for it, and it would be figured out in advance (pre-publication) and the freelancer would be aware of how much they were being paid for their work. Therefore, I could see Perry determining that she should be paid $75 for the story and having the final word.

Hope that helps.
Jenn

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
#164213 07/08/10 01:00 PM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Thanks, guys. That helps a lot.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard