Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
You know how sometimes when you're writing something you run out of ways to describe something or you run out of clever lines for someone to say? Have you ever found yourself in a situation wherein you lifted something from an old fic you wrote and used it again?

What line or image did you lift and on which fics did you use them on?

I'm still too young in the fandom to have lifted something from one of my own fics to reuse, but i gotta admit that in Japanese animation, i sometimes end up using something i've written before, but only in part, when i really can't think of a way to describe something.

I'm just curious if I'm the only one who's done this before or not. goofy If I'm alone in this, then great. laugh

Just got married (21st June 2010).
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I haven't written enough fiction yet for this even to be a possibility.

In my nonfiction writing I have occasionally cited my prior works; but it is more common for me to paraphrase or summarize what I had written earlier.

FWIW, I have been trying to catch up on the earlier fanfic. I had started out planning to read all the Kerth winning and nominated stories, but I have been sidetracked into reading all the works of some authors whose works I especially enjoy. I have noticed that some (I won't name names) have used plotlines and/or descriptive phrases repeatedly. It becomes a lot more obvious when one reads an author's works back-to-back. So to judge by the fanfic I have read, you are not alone.

Joy,
Lynn

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
There's one I've use a variation on few times. The original was:

"I hadn't planned on telling Sam an alien was doing his daughter." wink

[Originally from Unanswered Prayers in which a married Lois and Clark are contemplating telling Sam about Clark's Kryptonianness.]

I'm certain there are others I've reused either intentionally or not, but that's the only one that immediately comes to mind.

Carol

Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
@Lynn: good to know. :p i've written quite a lot for Japanese animation, and yeah, i end up paraphrasing, but because *I* know I lifted it from something else i wrote, I feel like I'm plagiarising. lol.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So to judge by the fanfic I have read, you are not alone.
I do think there's a difference between doing it consciously and unconsciously though. Neither is wrong, I've done both in the past myself, but I think the type of thing you're describing Lynn is often done subconsciously without the author noticing it, rather than being a conscious choice to reuse material.

I know that I have a very bad habit of getting a favourite phrase or word into my head and then using it more than once until I have to stop myself. laugh There was a phase during some of my very early writing when every one of my heroines happened to have whiskey-coloured eyes. goofy

It's often difficult to notice you're doing it when you're the one doing the writing, simply because you're too close to it. It's usually, as you say, Lynn, clearer when you read a few stories back to back.

But it's not just fanfic. I've seen the same thing occur time and again in novels - again, its especially noticeable when you read a series back to back, rather than over the years.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
@Labrat: ooh, I love that! "Whiskey-colored eyes".

I do my best not to copy myself, but it happens before i know it, just like you said, Labrat. frown

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
No arguments here, LabRat! If I gave the impression that I thought that the authors had been deliberately copying from their earlier works, I apologize. I had not meant to ascribe any sort of intentionality to the authors' actions, merely to point out the results thereof.

edit: I'll also say that, while I'm not too worried about plagiarizing myself, I am petrified that I might unwittingly plagiarize another author...That I'll have read another piece of fanfic, then at some future point seemingly get a new idea for a story without realizing that I am in fact remembering another author's work. I suppose the solution to this would be not to read any more fanfic, but that strikes me as a bit draconian. Does anyone else have this fear? If so, what do you do about it?

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
edit: I'll also say that, while I'm not too worried about plagiarizing myself, I am petrified that I might unwittingly plagiarize another author...That I'll have read another piece of fanfic, then at some future point seemingly get a new idea for a story without realizing that I am in fact remembering another author's work. I suppose the solution to this would be not to read any more fanfic, but that strikes me as a bit draconian. Does anyone else have this fear? If so, what do you do about it?
Oh, I think most of us do, Lynn. And I imagine that as a newer author, with more stories out there than I ever had to contend with, it's even more of an issue.

I've known certain authors who refused to read stories with the same theme as a WIP they were working on...just in case.

As you say, it's a difficult paradox. If you avoid reading fanfic in order to avoid the issue, you cut yourself off from a lot of fun.

I don't think there is a solution. I think you just have to wing it and hope for the best really. Beta readers can come in useful here - often pointing out a similarity you've failed to notice. But I'm not sure you can do much else about the risk.

Although, maybe others have found a solution.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
Well, that kind of thing happens to me all the time: I get a favorite expression into my head and just have to recycle it time and again. blush It doesn't even have to be my own, and that's probably pretty bad.

I know I also used this consciously as a kind of kudos to one author or other. I definitely re-used Ann's claim about the Bat Mobile being always around the corner, for instance. I know I commented on that phrase, and I also used it at a later time somewhere. (If only I remembered where...) Honestly, it was meant as an inside joke, not as a try ot make my writing better by plagiarising.

What I would never do, though, is quote whole passages of another person's work.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
If I gave the impression that I thought that the authors had been deliberately copying from their earlier works, I apologize. I had not meant to ascribe any sort of intentionality to the authors' actions, merely to point out the results thereof.
No need, Lynn. I know that authors do intentionally recycle their own material now and then. And there's nothing wrong with that.

No, I just think that what you and Sayo are describing are two different things. There's the intentional recycling and the unintentional, subconscious reuse of material that we don't even notice we're doing.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Actually I think it is quite common for a writer to use and reuse certain phrases and images. This is especially true if you've written several fics. If you've come upon a particular turn of phrase that you like you tend to reuse it instinctively. This is probably most common in descriptions. After all there are only so many ways to describe the color brown.

I don't think it is a good or bad thing in and of itself but one does have to be careful not to use certain descriptive phrases over and over within the same fic.

Tank (who has always had a hard time coming up with different ways to describe a Lois haircut)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Just remember
Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal.
Igor Stravinsky

MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Forget about copying between stories. Heck, I can use the same phrase or concept twice in the same paragraph!

Actually, though, it's easy to use the same concept in two different stories without remembering that you used that concept before - especially when you've been writing stories for ten years.

ML wave (who suddenly feels very old laugh )

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, I repeat myself all the time. I notice it when I re-read and go over the fic, and then I have to edit it out and make a change.

Sometimes I miss the repeats. Will count on beta reader for that.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Forget about copying between stories. Heck, I can use the same phrase or concept twice in the same paragraph!
rotflol rotflol rotflol

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
Speaking of unintentional borrowing, I suppose if one would seriously look closely AKA nitpick at most of my LnC works you'd find at least a sentence (sometimes even a paragraph) or two that are similar to (or convey similar message) a few of my favorite earlier fanfics by wonderful authors like When Friends become Lovers, Walk in my Shoes, Happy New Tears, Faux Pas, Epiphany, Poison, Momentum, AKA Clark Kent, Rest and Reproduction... and so on.

I just can't seem to help it since I've read these stories so many times and certain dialogues have just stickied themselves inside my brain. Besides, there's definitely a limit on what characteristics I can bestow upon my Clark Kent or Lois Lane and these great authors have touched me in some way or the other that I end up writing something that's already been written because that's exactly how I want my story to go and there's just no other way around it!

And so, it is inevitable that I end up copying even myself time and again because I just don't know how to write a different story!

evil

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
Top Banana
Top Banana
Q: Have I plagiarized myself?
A: I don’t think so. At least, I haven’t done that on purpose.

Q: Do you ever reuse phrases or expressions?
A: Good grief, yes. In fact, I find it very difficult not to. As many others here have said, you get certain phrases or expressions you like and they end up in your work over and over. Most of the time it isn’t obvious until after the fact.

Now, as far as using ideas or phrases from other authors. I try very hard to avoid that, but sometimes it sneaks up on you. For example, after I finished “The Return of Ultra Woman” I realized that certain elements of Lois’s press conference when she’s talking about Superman sounded disturbingly similar to how Lois talks about Clark to Superman at the end of Wendy’s “It Happened One Super Night.” I know that no copying was involved, but since then I’ve tried even harder to avoid similarities to existing works.

One thing that I did deliberately in “RoUW” was a sideways reference to another story. At one point Lois and Clark were discussing wearing wedding rings and I had Clark mention that he once appeared as Superman wearing his wedding ring but was fortunate that no one noticed. This was intended as a tip-of-the-hat to “A Ring on His Finger” (by Wendy again) where this happened and it WAS noticed.

I guess my opinion would be that the LnC universe is a small one and since thousands of stories have been written, it’s likely that anything you can think of to say and any way you can say it will probably closely resemble something that is already out there. My goal is to do my best to have the core story elements be uniquely mine and then simply try to not be too similar to any phrases or micro-elements that may exist in another work whether it be my own or the work of some other author.

Bob

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
For example, after I finished “The Return of Ultra Woman” I realized that certain elements of Lois’s press conference when she’s talking about Superman sounded disturbingly similar to how Lois talks about Clark to Superman at the end of Wendy’s “It Happened One Super Night.” I know that no copying was involved, but since then I’ve tried even harder to avoid similarities to existing works.
I once named a character in a story and thought no more about it. Until, several years later, I watched a rerun of Woody Allan's Sleeper on late night TV and was horrified to realise that this was where my subconscious had gotten the name from. eek grumble

This was a movie that I'd seen once, two or three years before I wrote the story and the character name appears in the movie for precisely 2.5 seconds, mentioned only once, in passing. dizzy

Since then, I've become very wary of character names that just pop into my head full blown and often mix and match names, just to be extra sure that my subconscious isn't playing tricks on me again!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Tank said:
After all there are only so many ways to describe the color brown.
Is that brown brown? Dull, insipid, *mud* brown? Or brown the shade of the smoothest milk chocolate, brown?
goofy

Anyhoo, to the question at hand. I know I've repeated a phrase in more than one story. It happens most frequently when I'm working on more than one story at a time. Either I'm taking a break from a longer story or something in the longer piece sparks the idea for the second, but I often find myself putting a similar phrase in both. In fact, it might be the phrase itself that spawns the second story. If I could remember the phrase(s) at the moment, I would point out how, but my memory wouldn't give it up on demand. Cursed thing.

BJ

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
It is actually kind of ironic that this thread would be started when it was. I posted a new piece of fiction "Clark's Card" today. I had written it, along with the feedback post, a few week's ago, and had forgotten that it would be pertinent to this thread.

As I mentioned in my request-for-feedback post, after I wrote my story, I read a story by another author that used some similar terminology. At the time, I had been concerned about possible accusations of plagiarism, and so I ran the relevant parts of both stories by LabRat. She didn't think the similarities were sufficient enough to post a problem, so I didn't revise my story. But I did make a point of referring to the other story in my request-for-feedback post just to be extra safe. (Thanks again, Labrat! smile )

Joy,
Lynn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard