Having just lost three of my best GEs indefinitely or permanently to RL in the last couple of days, I'm now in dire need of replacements. frown

I'd especially be happy to hear from those who have the free time and commitment necessary to take on long/epic stories for editing as in recent years finding GEs able to take on long stories has become an especially difficult problem.

The work is fairly simple and straightforward:

You'll need an above average knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation - you don't have to be perfect, but you will need more than just the basics.

You'll also need to be able to guide authors gently but firmly, understanding that many of the authors we deal with are new to writing or insecure about the process and need to be encouraged and nurtured. GEs aren't beta readers - they don't generally comment on issues of plot or characterisation and the relationship between a GE and an author is slightly more formal than that between beta and author, in that GEs generally stick to just the facts, ma'am. They usually won't laugh at your jokes or tell you Clark is particularly hot in that line laugh - although they may tell you they enjoyed the story.

If you think you can help continue the high editorial standards that the Archive has tried to maintain over the years and which FoLCs have always been proud of, or if you have any questions, you can email or PM me and we'll take it from there. We really can't do it without you.

Thanks. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers