Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Has it been mentioned in the pilot if he flew there himself or took the train or the bus or something else?
I tried to find out but failed to find anything.

If it wasn't mentioned, what do you think how did he travel?

I want to put it in a fic and I need Clark to step out of a bus.

Thanks in advance.

Kathryn
Kerth
Kerth
The first time we see Clark, he's stepping off a bus. So I'd say you're well within canon to have him arriving by bus. smile

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, he does step out of a bus, but why would he? (I mean, in the pilot, not for purposes of your fic.) Why didn't he just fly to Metropolis?

Protective coloration? Human interest stories about the bus passengers? Or so the TV cameramen could catch his feet stepping off the bus and then pan up to his suitcase?

But actually, when you think about it, it doesn't make sense. We know that Clark (at this time) doesn't have a lot of money. The bus costs money. Flying is free (for him.)

Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
The first time we see Clark, he's stepping off a bus.
Oh. blush I have to admit I was too lazy to watch the DVD to find out.
Thanks Sue laugh

I think Clark takes the bus to protect his secret. He arrives in broad daylight and doesn't know where to land without anyone seeing him. Perhaps he also likes to travel with others.
But you are right. If he hasn't much money it doesn't make sense to take the bus.

Kathryn
Merriwether
Merriwether
Part paper trail, part the experience, most likely. Along with flying into an unknown city in broad daylight. The bus would be the cheapest way to travel for any normal person.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think, at that point in the pilot, Clark was probably in the habit of using his powers as little as possible and certainly as little as possible in daylight. This was before he had his Superman persona/disguise in place, so he would have had to be more on guard about being recognised/seen.

I think the only time - pre-Superman - we saw him flying in the pilot was at night, in the dark, wasn't it?

So it doesn't surprise me that he took the bus. I think caution was ingrained in him at that point in his life.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Also, we don't know where he took the bus from.
It's possible that Clark didn't take a bus to Metropolis all the way from Smallville. To save money he might have surreptituously arrived at a smaller town outside of Metropolis and took the bus in from there.

Tank (who says that if this was the Smallville universe he probably could've walked to Metropolis wink )

Features Writer
Features Writer
I, too, think the bus is a city bus. The first time we see the bus, it says "Metropolis Rt 38". That sounds like a city bus. Also, the bus that is out of control and he stops says "Metropolis Rt 36". The interior looks like a city bus.

malu

Top Banana
Top Banana
True, the bus looks like a city bus, but his suitcase had a luggage tag. I don't know if it implies his traveling by plane and taking a bus from the airport.

Do interstate buses have luggage tags?

wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Features Writer
Features Writer
It could be an airport tag: it is green with the letters "DGO" on it, which, according to Wikipedia , is the airport designation for the Guadalupe Victoria International Airport, in Mexico.

I'd assume Clark probably wasn't even in the US "officially" before he moved to Metropolis. After all, he was "travelling the world" before he settled in Metropolis, wasn't he?

If he didn't take a commercial flight from (or *to*) there, it would be at least a good "excuse" for where he'd come from before arriving.

malu

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard