Welcome to the quiz for BEST ORIGINAL/SUPPORTING CHARACTER, brought to you by Erin! smile

This quiz was a little tricky to do, since I was trying to focus on the original/supporting character in the story, without giving away that character's name. So here's what I did:

The quote is either something the original/supporting character I'm focusing on is saying, told from his/her POV, or another character thinking about that original/supporting character. Sorry, it's a little tricky, but I couldn't see an easier way around it. dizzy

The excerpt deals directly with that character.

In some instances, the quotes or excerpts I chose had that original/supporting character's name in the text, so I simply deleted that character's name and inserted an underline to show where that character's name WAS. (So it didn't give anything away! smile )

Does that make sense? I hope it does!

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Original/Supporting Character, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but I have limited myself to twelve.

Please make recommendations for other eligible stories not included in this quiz! I love to get story recommendations. They give me a heads up about good stories that I have either missed or haven't yet read. So please toss in those recommendations for me and for others!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the Kerth Original/Supporting Character Quiz answer thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Wednesday, February 17th by 11:59 p.m. Results will be posted on Thursday morning.

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here.

Now that we've dispensed with the rules and other relative information, here we go!

B
E
S
T

O
R
I
G
I
N
A
L

/

S
U
P
P
O
R
T
I
N
G

C
H
A
R
A
C
T
E
R

Quote 1:
Clark was reminded that his son was only a teenager ... a very special teenager, but one who had taken on a huge role. Like every other adolescent he occasionally needed a hug, albeit a
mental one. A sense of shame for his green-eyed thoughts swept through Clark mixed with an overwhelming love for his son.

Quote 2:
_____came over to put his arms around me. "I'm not sure anyone's bothered to let you know this, but you're not married to Clark. He doesn't have to talk to you."

Quote 3:
______ lived by three rules: always drink your tea with a dash of milk, always go to church on Sundays, and always say thank you for a kindness done.

Quote 4:
"Nor was a loser," ______ said. "Who cares about him, anyway? Mr. Kent said CJ and Marta -- and me, too -- are supposed to teach you about telepathy, since we figured out how to do it,
ourselves. And we're supposed to try to teach Mrs. Kent how, if we can. She's gonna be here in a few minutes."

Quote 5:
In the back of the building, there was a man
being almost crushed by the rubble. "Dad, help me with this!" she called out. Understanding the situation, her father quickly removed the rubble so she could pick up the man. She flew him off
to the hospital. Hopefully, he'd be okay.

Quote 6:
"And I knew that Lois would never admit, might not even see it. Unless someone took you away from her. I have no doubt that there could be women lining up to date you, Clark, but I knew that *I* would step aside for Lois. If only she'd speak up and tell me that you were her man, that you were more than her best-friend."

Quote 7:
______ leaned down and released the kick drum chain. "It was just fine 'till you started that lousy Jenna Jameson impression."

Quote 8:
"Why should I believe you? You may have some technologies that I've never seen but that doesn't mean you're from the future."

E
X
C
E
R
P
T
S

Exceprt 1:
A vise closed around Clark's windpipe and for a few seconds he found it difficult to breathe. If only he could help ... but there was no use pining for what couldn't be. He was lucky to be alive.

Taking a deep breath, he opened the channel to _____.

<_____, are you there? There's a ...>

<Relax, Dad,> _____'s upbeat reply came back over father and son's personal communication line. <If you mean the avalanche, I'm on it. I overheard the breaking news on the staffroom TV, and I'm on my way already.>

<What about your exams?> Clark asked, though relief echoed in his voice.

<All done, Dad. I finished before lunch and we have a free study afternoon before tomorrow's test. Don't worry. I don't break Mom's embargo unless it's absolutely necessary.> _____ chuckled, before becoming serious again. < I might have in this case, though. The rescuers seem to be having difficulty getting to the disaster site.>

<That's what I'm hearing too.> Clark tried to shrug off the tiniest surge of envy. He did count his blessings, he really did, yet Jor-El and Superman could do so much more together. It wasn't to be, not now ... and maybe not ever. He closed his eyes, smothering a sigh. <_____, I'll let you go. Do your best, son, though I know you will.>

Excerpt 2:
"What did you think we would do?" I asked her. "How would we manage to stay together when he's so happy here and I hate it?"

"I..." Martha looked at me in alarm. "I'm not sure, honey. I just knew that being together would be important to both of you."

"It is," I admitted, sniffling again. "But we can't make it work. We agreed to... I'm moving back to Metropolis."

Martha closed her eyes tightly and I could see that our decision pained her, but then she moved closer to wrap her arms around me. "Are you sure that's what will make you happiest?"

"No," I said. "But being here is making me miserable, and _____ can't come back to Metropolis. He's so much happier here. He belongs here. I don't."

Excerpt 3:
Clark Kent had saved her life. He'd done it in a super way. Those two things she knew for certain.

Yet, that didn't necessarily mean Clark Kent was Superman. They looked similar, yes, and Clark Kent demonstrated strength far beyond that of a normal man that day he'd saved her lifeā€¦ but she could think of other possible explanations for them all. Brothers, perhaps? Or maybe Clark Kent was strong for some other reason entirely; a mutation, like those comic book heroes or a test subject from some top-secret experiment.

Excerpt 4:
'Marta!'

'What?'

'I need some help!'

'What's wrong?'

'That Morris Myers guy is here, and he's got all of them!'

'*What?*'

'I'm the only one he doesn't have! I tried to call your dad, but he can't hear me. He's too far away or something. I need you right now!'

'I'll be right there!'

'Be careful! He's got Kryptonite!'

Excerpt 5:
"Rough day, huh?" she commented, trying to find common ground.

"Yeah," he agreed. "It's always so hard." He shared a look with her; then looked toward Metropolis without even realizing it.

Superwoman sighed, knowing Dad was thinking of the comfort he could find in Mom's arms. She wished she had that. And she could, if she was ever able to tell Larry about her other identity. Right now, all she had was her painting. The paintings helped, but they weren't the same thing.

"Dad," she began slowly. Was it really a good idea to bring this up right now? "I'd really like to have someone to talk to when I get home. Like you do."

Excerpt 6:

A cry for help broke into Clark's consciousness and he practically leapt for joy. "I can't, I forgot, I promised to feed the neighbour's cat. It expects its food at certain times or it starts wrecking the place and I'm late and they've just got this new rug and I really don't want to be responsible for it being scratched to death, so I'll see you tomorrow. Say 'hi' to Lois
for me."

And with that, he raced off, tugging on his tie as he did.

"Huh," ____ mused as she watched him disappear down the staircase, instead of using the elevator which would have been faster. "So the lame excuses and running away in difficult situations really are that bad. Guess Lois wasn't exaggerating."

Excerpt 7:
"Do we all get a vote on this?"

Lois rolled her eyes. "Of course you get a vote, ______! Nobody's forcing anybody to do anything."

"Good." ____ took a deep breath and let it out slowly, then said, "I vote we put Christie and Lucy in a mud wrestling pit in hot pink bikinis and sell tickets. Prob'ly make a fortune."

Excerpt 8:
Smith responded in a dismissive, almost arrogant tone. "What you believe or not is irrelevant. What matters is that I'm here and I've collected the data that I was sent to get." Smith paused for a few seconds. He had the look of someone that was struggling to maintain control of his anger. "Think about the capabilities that are inherent in the technologies that you've seen. If such was my intent, I could kill you very easily. However, as I said, in these circumstances you have nothing to fear from me. Your fate is already sealed with an outcome appropriate for your deeds."

Something about the way Smith spoke sent a cold chill through ______. He had always excelled at discerning truth from falsehoods when others spoke to him. To his great dismay, Smith's words rang of truth. In that moment, ______ felt more at a loss than he had known his entire adult life. In a deflated and defeated tone, he asked, "If you are going to erase my memory, why are you telling me this?"

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~