[Sorry this wasn't up yesterday :p . RL interfered...]

HEY! Another quiz I can't fail spectacularly!

Thanks again to Tricia for letting me snag her instructions .

Here we go!

Welcome to yet another fun quiz!

This quiz is for the BEST NEW AUTHOR category, for authors who have burst onto the scene in the last year.

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories are by authors eligible for BNA, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other authors who qualify for this category, but I have limited myself to twelve. Recommendations for other eligible authors are *very* welcome and encouraged! Please email me using the link above or send me a PM if you have any recommendations!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the answers thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Monday, Feb. 15 [which is when Erin is supposed to post the next quiz – hope she doesn't hate me for the overlap!] Results will be posted on Tuesday .

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here .

B
E
S
T

N
E
W

A
U
T
H
O
R

Quotes:

Quote 1
"How long have you known you could fly?"

Quote 2
"Well, let's finish what we started. Let's go on a real date, no stakeout, no Ralph's Pagoda, then, take it from there."

Quote 3
Clark was never more thankful for that phenomenon known as Jimmy Interruptus.

Quote 4
Lois smiled. "I like the sound of that. You have two days to make up to me and I plan on taking advantage of that."

Quote 5
Lois Lane sighed again, took another deep breath and let it out as she looked down at her coffee.

Quote 6
Lois smiled and nodded. "Yeah, it's your differences that make you the man that I love." She kissed him lightly.

Quote 7
"That was the police chief's office. They'd like him to come to headquarters some time today. Something about yesterday's rescue."

Quote 8
Superman flew out of the window. And he began to wonder. Why had he ever agreed to be Lois' date? Oh, right. He hadn't.

Quote 9
She muttered to herself, "This one is supposed to be easy... a smoked ham... butt? Ew...never mind..." She flipped a page again. "Ah ha! A turkey... you're going to eat your words, Lucy..."

Quote 10
Maybe she was still dreaming. "You're *not* Clark?" she echoed, her disbelief prominent in her tone.

Quote 11
"Lane." The voice calling to her belonged to Inspector Henderson, the closest thing she had to a friend on the police force. "How you holding up?"

Quote 12
My whole body aches ... my limbs ... my insides ... it is everywhere ...

M
O
R
E

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Excerpts:

Excerpt 1
"Yes?" she inquired innocently. She figured she would let him flounder just a little bit longer; he was, after all, her friend, and it was not all that nice to leave him hanging. "Do you want to take a deep breath and try that again?"

Startled out of his flabbergasted state by Lois' almost nonchalant attitude, Clark blurted out the first thing that entered his head. "Are you Lois Lane?"

This time, Lois did not bother to suppress the giggle. "Of course I am. Why do you ask?"

Excerpt 2
"I'll be around." As in, "And if I can't dance with you the way I want to, because a certain blonde attorney keeps butting her nose in where it isn't wanted, then I'll dance with you any way I can. Even if I have to do it in a cape instead of a tux." But Superman can't be my friend. Not really. Not like Clark.

"I'll be around." As in "Even if it's Christmas Eve and I'm supposed to be in Smallville."

"I'll be around." Superman meant that he'd be around for all of us. For the whole world. Even if it meant putting his own life on the line to tackle an asteroid. No wonder Superman was missing in action. He was knocked silly and trying to remember who he was.

Excerpt 3

Clark wrinkled his brow. "Are you trying to tell me you want me to say yes, Lois?"

"Well, Clark..."

"Cause that reminds me of a time when Elvis was courtin' Priscilla and..."

"Clark, stop trying to change the subject...wait, what were we talking about...? Oh yeah, I asked you a question. And the answer is?"

Excerpt 4
He must have heard her surprised gasp because he turned to look at her in slight surprise. "Lois?" he asked, confused as to why she stood in the flower shop.

That one word broke the bonds that held her in place and she ran to him. "Oh, Clark, when did you get back?"

He wasn't able to respond for a few moments as his mouth was otherwise occupied. When they finally broke the kiss, he answered her question.

Excerpt 5
"Oh, that looks good. What's the occasion, Farmboy? Hoping to get lucky?"

Clark reddened.

"No, Lois, I just thought you could use a little mood elevator."

"I'm sorry, I'm just rethinking so many things I thought I was certain of in my life. Being wrong about something, horribly disastrously wrong, that you've been so sure of for so long...."

Excerpt 6
"Oh, I'm sorry," Clark stammered.

"It's okay; I wasn't watching where-" she looked up at him sadly...

"Lois?" Clark cut her off and immediately recognized that look in her brown eyes.

"Hi." She sniffed. "Nice night for a walk, huh?"

"Hey." He pulled her into his arms. "What's wrong?" Clark held her more tightly and soothed her pain as she cried.

Excerpt 7
"But I'm not driving a taxi!" Clark almost shouted.

"The law doesn't specifically apply to taxis, it just states that the requirement must be met by anyone transporting people as part of their occupation. And you certainly transported about 150 people yesterday, and in this article you stated, 'It's just my job.'"

Clark couldn't help being curious. "Even though I don't charge anyone?" he queried.

"The law applies whether or not you charge. It was written to outlaw 'gypsy' unlicensed taxis that just claim to accept gifts or tips from their passengers."

Excerpt 8
Superman shook his head vehemently. "Lois, I'm not going as a zombie!"

"Of course not. You're going as a wizard. A very powerful wizard." Sudden inspiration stuck her. "Really, that's just the costume for you. You could even pretend to be riding a broomstick."

"Wizards don't ride broomsticks. Witches do."

"Nonsense. This wizard does. He's even on the House Quidditch team."

Excerpt 9
"Lois, what are you doing?"

She shrieked and whirled to see Superman standing just inside her window. "I... I'm cooking a turkey for Christmas..."

Superman's eyes went wide. She had to be kidding... He hoped she was kidding... "Do you mind if I ask why? I was under the impression that you didn't like holidays very much..."

Lois scowled at him. "Has Clark been telling tales?"

Superman groaned to himself, he had certainly botched that one. "I... think you mentioned you didn't like them at some point..."

Excerpt 10
Tex Tempus -- suave, charming, handsome, rich, enigmatic, mysterious.

Lois reached for the folder of notes she had been studying just before sleep had claimed her last night. She flicked through them again. They were case notes for murders stretching back a year.
There was something she was missing. She was sure of it.

Her bedroom door opened and she shut the folder. "Tex," she greeted.

"My lovely Lois."

"You're not supposed to see me on our wedding day. It's bad luck."

"Not for us, my dear." He kissed her hand.

Excerpt 11
"Blood?" Lois repeated vaguely.

"Three bullet holes usually leak a lot of blood, but I didn't see a drop in there. And if you held him, you should be covered in it." When Lois blanched, he added an apology. "Sorry to be so graphic."

Lois bit out a harsh, dark laugh. "I'm a hard-bitten reporter, remember? I've seen my share of grizzly crime scenes." She closed her eyes and released a shuddering breath. "No blood," she repeated after a moment. "What does that mean?"

"I don't know," he replied thoughtfully. "But I'm sure there's a rational explanation."

Excerpt 12
I can't let her marry that monster ...

He will destroy her.

I can't let that happen ...

Too many men have hurt her ...

Her father ...

Claude ...

Paul ...