Welcome to the fifth Kerth quiz, brought to you by the letter J. This is the quiz for BEST EPISODE ADAPTATION.

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Episode Adaptation, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but I have limited myself to twelve.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Tuesday by 11:59 p.m.

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here.

B

E

S

T

E

P

I

S

O

D

E

A

D

A

P

T

A

T

I

O

N

Quote 1:
She sighed as she flipped another page. Why did cooking have to be so complicated? She scanned through yet another recipe.

Quote 2:
"Just tell him he'd better get his shiny red butt over here, or I swear to God, I will never speak to him again."

Quote 3:
"Well, let's finish what we started. Let's go on a real date, no stakeout, no Ralph's Pagoda, then, take it from there."

Quote 4:
"Don't play coy with me, Kent!" Lois snapped, her right hand waving accusingly in front of her. "How dare you tell Superman about Lex's proposal?"

Quote 5:
Lois let out a frustrated sigh. "Look, Kent, if you're going somewhere with all this, I hope you'll get there before this century is out!"

Quote 6:
"Um, Bernie, while I'd love to see a fabulous new discovery that will change life as we know it, I have plans for tonight. Couldn't this wait until tomorrow?"

Quote 7:
But she wasn't the right one for him to bare his soul to. To him, she wasn't anybody at all.

Quote 8:
Lois laughed. "Well, you might have the right dance moves to be the King, but you should leave the singing to others."

Quote 9:
"No, Lois. Partnership is not entirely like marriage. You're right that they both take work."

Quote 10:
"All men are jerks, apart from you apparently. So are you a jerk but really good at covering it up, or the exception?"

Quote 11:
"From what I've heard, I'd be better off out there with the hounds of hell on my tail than you, Mr. Luthor," the leader told him.

Quote 12:
What was she doing here? Well, Lois was really there to tell him that she was in love with him, but this definitely put a crimp in things.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Excerpt 1:
Lois frowned for a moment before shrugging off his evasion. She lead him into the kitchen and there Lois and Superman passed several hours preparing the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, homemade bread and several other dishes.

Excerpt 2:
Lois laughed, shaking her head from side to side with an equally wry grin. "It's amazing that we work so well together professionally, considering the way we keep screwing up our personal relationship."

Excerpt 3:
Everything I needed to know about Clark Kent, Superman told me that first day. And it was true. And that's why now, when he's putting it all on the line again, it's my turn. To be a friend. To be around. To stifle the impulse to withdraw, the impulse to accuse. Because he didn't tell me. But I'm going to tell him. And here's my chance.

Excerpt 4:
"Clark, I'm a big girl. Sure, it was nice to have a shining hero to look up to. And of course it hurts like hell to see him jump straight down and into the gutter. But I can deal with that. It's my own fault for not seeing the pig hiding underneath the cape. What I can't deal with is you protecting him."

Excerpt 5:
They'd been at it for hours and Lois's blood was just about to start boiling in her veins. Nothing in this poor excuse for a report made any sort of sense at all. There wasn't anything useful, they couldn't draw any conclusions from it - they were just wasting their time!

Excerpt 6:
Lois turned her gaze back to her best friend lying on a laboratory operating table. Tears flowed freely now. She reached her hand out again, and this time, she didn't hold back. She placed her hand on his forehead and brushed an errant lock off his brow. She felt a hand on her shoulder. She didn't turn.

Excerpt 7:
Sad. Sad and a little lost. That was the look he had in his apartment that she couldn't place, the look that he still had. Only, today it was a little less pronounced and a little more hopeful.

Excerpt 8:
She pulled back, and for a timeless moment, they stared into each other's eyes. The jaunty attitude that had dominated the evening shifted to something a little more tender as she looked into Clark's bedazzled gaze. She stood up and held out her hand to him before folding her arms around his waist and snuggling in for a hug.

Excerpt 9:
Clark knew that a sappy grin was spreading across his face, but he couldn't help it. He'd landed the job, and, if he were very lucky, he might even get a chance to work with the woman who drew his attention like a magnet every time he saw her.

Excerpt 10:
However, where Lois tended to push people away in fear of letting them get too close and hurting her, Lucy seemed to take the opposite tact and push herself onto people, desperately seeking comfort from them.

Excerpt 11:
He took her hand in his and kissed it tenderly. This was a different side to Luthor than she was used to. He seemed sincere as he gazed into her eyes. There was something hypnotic in his gaze. She could get lost in those eyes.

Excerpt 12:
Clark held her gaze, and something about his forlorn expression expelled any anger over his duplicity from her mind. "Oh, Clark," she breathed, crossing the room and wrapping her arms around his waist. If anybody looked like he needed a hug, it was her partner.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"