Welcome to the third Kerth quiz, and the first to be posted to the boards. I hope we will get many replies, otherwise my self-esteem will suffer greatly. Anyway, this is the quiz for BEST SHORT STORY, stories that are between 11-50 kg.

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Short Story, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but I have limited myself to fourteen. Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread.

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Tuesday by 11:59 p.m.

More elaborate quiz instructions can be found here.

B

E

S

T

S

H

O

R

T

Quote 1:
"Clark Kent is a man of hidden capabilities and depth. Eventually Lois will marry Clark and their offspring will play a central role in shaping a utopian future."

Quote 2:
Lois' nostrils flared in indignation. "Clark, you are so far from fine, it's not even funny! Your own mother just tried to kill you! Your mother, Clark!"

Quote 3:
Superman sighed inwardly. "I'd like to help you somehow... Do you want some help with your turkey?"

Quote 4:
"Clark, if they were any good at practicing whatever it is they do, they wouldn't be working in radio."

Quote 5:
Perry sighs. "Jimmy? Jimmy couldn't even save baseball cards."

Quote 6:
"No, no, that's okay, Super-Grover. It's nice to have a fellow crime fighter."

Quote 7:
Jim didn't look up. "I can tell you this," he said. "There's nothing trivial about a game of Trivial Pursuit with Lois Lane."

Quote 8:
"Ah, I was just *telling* my sister how much I *love* this," Lois looked in disgust at the fluffy pink dress she was wearing before adding the final word with as much sarcasm as she could muster, "dress."

Quote 9:
"But I'm not driving a taxi!" Clark almost shouted.

Quote 10:
What did he expect? He was a farm boy and I was the consummate city girl.

Quote 11:
"You know," he added, slowing down to look her in the face. "At midnight, it's traditional for people to kiss."

Quote 12:
It had been the longest fifteen minutes of Lois' life, but she had managed to stay ahead of those chasing her for the entire time.

Quote 13:
"I've always been proud of you," he whispered softly, startling her. She hadn't realized that she had spoken out loud.

Quote 14:
"Believe me, Lois, you don't. Neither Superman nor Luthor; you don't really know either one," he answered with a heavy sigh.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Excerpt 1:
Somewhere in the back of his mind, Lex realized that he had just shared some insights into his philosophies that he was normally very careful to keep private. Somehow, the idea of speaking openly to Smith just didn't worry him. As he struggled with the idea of being open, it occurred to him that if he did say anything that might prove dangerous, he could place a single call and Nigel would very efficiently erase any problem, along with Mr. Smith.

Excerpt 2:
Relief spread through her. If anybody could talk some sense into Clark, it was his mother. Martha had always seemed to Lois as the superhero of mothers – able to resolve any problems with a calm certainty and the least amount of damage. Kind of like Superman, really. She was the mom that Lois secretly wished she'd had and Lois knew that if Martha was on the scene, then everything would work out.

Excerpt 3:
But, they were together now... They had survived the Churches and some really crazy psychos... including an ex-boyfriend of hers, Lex's son, Nazis, a modern day Noah... She smirked to herself, and she had even gotten to use Clark's powers for a short time...

Excerpt 4:
The elder Crane handed Lois a business card with a time and place noted on the back - WLEX studio 2, 1 pm. Lois dropped the card in her purse. "I'll have to clear it with my editor," she said. She hoped Perry would say 'no' but she doubted he would. It was too good an opportunity for him to pass up. Free publicity, even if it was at her expense.

Excerpt 5:
The building shudders and Clark shifts restlessly, his arm brushing against mine in the dark. I have the sudden impression that he hates being in this small space even more than I do. Is he claustrophobic? I hope he doesn't start freaking out, because that would be more than I could handle.

Excerpt 6:
Sighing, Clark used his keen hearing to eavesdrop on the conversation. His look of slight apathy turned into a look of bafflement. "Why are you having me listen into a conversation about the Victoria Secret Catalog?"

Excerpt 7:
No, this last day was entirely his own choice. This was the last day that, for the first time in his life, would mark Clark Kent as a quitter. Clark called for the elevator. As he waited for it to carry him to the newsroom that had become so familiar to him in the last few weeks, Clark was assaulted with a stream of unwanted memories, as if his own mind was reminding him why he couldn't stay.

Excerpt 8:
Clark took a deep breath. "Lois, you have no idea how much you affect me," he muttered, his voice deep and husky. Blushing, he realized that he was in dire need of a cold shower. Or his super-equivalent of it. He only hoped that a dip in the Arctic would do the trick this time. "Shower," he croaked before hurrying out of the room.

Excerpt 9:
Three hours later, Superman was released from custody. It wasn't as bad as he thought it would be; during the booking interview, he had stuck to his Superman persona, and when he could not report any assets or source of income, he was told he qualified for a court-appointed attorney.

Excerpt 10:
"Um…" Taking in my face, he faltered a little. "I was wondering… if you wanted to… you know… maybe… grab some dinner together sometime… or something?" He blushed all the way to the roots of his hair. Silly farm boy. Metropolis boys knew how to ask a girl out – and it didn't involve either rambling or blushing.

Excerpt 11:
A few days ago, she'd seen him kidnapped in front of her eyes. A month or so back she'd seen him shot dead. The mixture of terror and grief had been potent. Who was she kidding? He was more than
a work partner, more than a friend. She was in lo-- well, he was important to her. She just wished she knew if he might ever feel the same about her.

Excerpt 12:
Clark forced himself to focus back on the present, and his sleeping wife. She was going to be alright... this time. But what would happen when her luck ran out? What would happen if she came up against something she couldn't handle when he wasn't there?

Excerpt 13:
Everything, from when she was growing up, to when she was an adult, came trickling through her mind. She remembered the fights that they used to have about what she would do when she grew up, to her moving out at an early age. With all that she had put him through, had she ever done anything that he could say he was proud of her for?

Excerpt 14:
"Clark, I'm a big girl. Sure, it was nice to have a shining hero to look up to. And of course it hurts like hell to see him jump straight down and into the gutter. But I can deal with that. It's my own fault for not seeing the pig hiding underneath the cape. What I can't deal with is you protecting him."

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"