Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So...there you have it. As you can now see, with this one I wasn't interested in writing the "LNC get trapped in snowbound cabin, make love, and their relationship changes dramatically overnight" story. Or even the "LNC get trapped in snowbound cabin and Lois discovers CK=S" story.

The point of it was to chart the course of something more ethereal than that. The flicker of something starting that would grow in the future. The small spark that would become a flame.

Hope you enjoyed it anyway - even if it wasn't what you were expecting. Or hoping for. wink

Oh, and apologies for the dismissive ending to that gang. I'd actually planned to get rid of them in much more detail. But then Lynn mentioned this idea in passing and soon as I read it that was it. Their fate was sealed. Those gits ruined my plans for a PWP Waff fest without Aplot. They simply had to die. [Linked Image]

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Labrat,

Why would we be disappointed with this story?

It was lovely and WAFFy and I for one really enjoyed the whole ride.

Hope this means the muse is finally back. wink

Avia

"I get it, you're a ghost. You're dead. Big accomplishment, move on. You see a light anywhere? Go towards it okay?"

Cordelia in 'Rm w/a Vu' - Angel episode 1x05
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow this was much more real then the usual stories. Very sweet. I loved what she etched on the glass and also the robert Frost Poem. Mine is "Two roads diverged in the woods and I chose the one less traveled." Or something like that<g> Seem like you did just that in this fiction. Good job. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just loved your story, LabRat! thumbsup

Simona smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great story. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Merriwether
Merriwether
Awww. A lovely sweet WAFFy story. I love it, despite no PWP or huge revelations. wink Just the lovely revelation of hidden sentiment, and a strengthened resolve. Absolutely love it. clap

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
They didn't see holes on the car?
That's a very good point, Maria. A very...very...good point. She says through gritted teeth before muttering 'dangit' under her breath and then smiling sweetly at Maria. laugh [Linked Image]

Don't suppose you'd accept that the smuggling gang used superglue on it before they left?

No, didn't think so.

Good catch! thumbsup I've fixed it. wink

Thanks for the fdk so far, everyone! I'll leave it to the end to properly thank you individually smile but for the moment, I'm delighted that you enjoyed it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
This is one of those stories I'm have a very difficult time writing feedback for. I keep writing, deleting, re-writing, and deleting all over again. I just can't seem to put into words how I felt about this story!

All I can think to say is, I was most definitely *not* disappointed by the ending. It was perfect. I would quote all my favorite parts, but then I'd just have to quote the whole chapter, and what would be the point in that?

I loved Clark tenderly caressing her hair as she sleeps, and confessing not only his love but also his fears to her. Loved even more that she remembered the next day!

For some reason, your description of the dog in bed with Lois just had me laughing out loud.

I must admit, I was sort of hoping Clark would find a reason to go into the kitchen and see what Lois had written on the window, but, after reading the entire story, I think it is better like this. Just a hope of a new beginning. Clark talking himself into not giving up on Lois, and Lois deciding maybe it is about time for her to open up to Clark. I think I'm going to cry....

Again, all I can do is compliment you again and again on your excellent writing style, and tell you this story was an absolute pleasure to read!

- Vicki

edited to take out my comment about the bullet holes in the car, since I see you were posting at the same time I was, and you addressed the problem.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sometimes the things you least expect are the most pleasant. This was different, but no less fabulous!

Maybe it was time to put what she'd learned to good use.
Right on! I internally had a field day when I read this!

Oops, going to be late for dinner with the parental units tonight, gotta cut myself off now! Two thumbs up!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This was... mmmmm, wonderful, Rat! evil )

Hmmmmmm... you know, I like that icon so much, I'm going to do it again. party

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
J
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
J
I haven't had a chance to comment earlier, since I was so busy catching up on reading the story. Since I finally made it to the end, I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading it.

I think your ending works wonderful thumbsup (and I have no trouble to ignore the unresolved situation of the gang wink ). A promise for a future together instead of major relevations or declarations of love and major changes in their relationship, which would make this a less realistic story.

Excellent work, LabRat! wave

Top Banana
Top Banana
Aww, I love it. A lot. I don't suppose a sequel is in the making? /me looks at Labby with irrisistable shiny puppy eyes

About the dog - old mutt? didn't you say he was a labrador? And Cougar? And I thought this was Homer's big cameo. goofy

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very sweet and satisfying. Beautiful ending to the story, just right in fact.

I love how you have their inner musings following the same lines and their hopes for the future are shining inside them. You just know they are going to make it..awwwwwwwwwwwww!

Great job! clap hail

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love sleepy Lois's rambling, run-on thoughts. Those were really fun to read.

No, kissing didn't mean anything. And most especially it didn't mean anything when it was coupled with what she and Clark had shared the previous evening. Trauma, danger, cheating death by inches, the sheer, heady adrenalin rush of a chase through the dark, snuggling in a cabin in the woods in front of a roaring log fire and lost in a haze of candlelight...
Oh, great. So when does kissing mean anything, Lois? Come on, think about it. When are you going to have an evening that doesn't involve trauma, danger, cheating death by inches, and quite possibly a chase through the dark? Face it. You're Lois Lane. It's just not a proper evening out if someone doesn't try to kill you.

LOL, I really like the image of Lois's finger spelling things out for her while her head is occupied with slightly different matters. I definitely like her leaving it there. Very nice.

Really like this, too:

Maybe she didn't want to see surprise in her partner's eyes again when she thought to compliment him.
Nice to see Clark seeing sense about his other side, too. smile

Luthor couldn't give her that. But he could.
Sentences like this are a little confusing. I know what you mean, but...

Anyway, I, for one, am certainly satisfied with the ending. It's a good step forwards for them, a turning point.

Of course, if you wanted to explore what happens next, I'd have no objection... [Linked Image]

Great story, Lab. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yep, I have to agree with the others-- it's a great story and you ended it just right!

It would have been relatively easy, I think, to end this story with the usual sort of scenarios you described at the start of this FDK thread, but you'd probably need more than 7 parts. Instead, you chose what I think was the harder route-- you brought Clark out of his desolation and you brought Lois out of her isolation (somewhat). As you said, it's a beginning-- and it works wonderfully here.

After all, even with all the action and desperation at the start of the story, it really is an exploration of the very early stages of Lois and Clark's closer relationship, isn't it? You have introspection at the beginning, you have hints that Lois isn't thrilled with Lex, and you put them in a position where they have to rely on each other's strengths. Lois has to let go of some of her independence and trust Clark's split second decisions when the bullets are flying; they have to feed each other's determination to keep going when they are numb with cold, and they have to pool their resources to get warm. Clark is forced to rely on Lois' strength of character and determination, when his powers are essentially gone and he is experiencing hunger, cold, and exhaustion-- feelings that are foreign to him. Without the ability to just swoop in and save the day, he must rely on her as much as she relies on him.

Clark was so desolate the night before; then the act of just holding his love in his arms while she slept helped him to work a lot of that angst out. Knowing she was asleep, he started to talk. He told her a lot of the things he wanted to say but never did, for whatever reason: Lois' standoffishness, his reluctance to reveal his secret, people shooting at them-- you know, the usual stuff! :p

And yes, it was really neat that Lois recalled much of what he said to her, and that it meshed with feelings she had been forcing out of her thoughts. Yet recalling Clark's words (and deeds-- his gentle stroking of her hair and cheek-- kept those thoughts creeping back. And each time she examined those thoughts, they were easier to accept, weren't they? Her unconscious writing on the window sort of focused those feelings, I think.

And the return of Clark's powers-- you set that up so nicely, as well. The joy he feels at their return is an echo of the joy he feels as he realizes that he can offer Lois something that Lex never could-- his love. And that by keeping his hope alive, by offering his love steadfastly, he can overcome any possible negatives that being Superman could bring to their relationship.

<Now I lay me down to sleep...because woods are lovely, dark and deep...>

No, wait, that wasn't right....

"Miles to go..." she mumbled
I really enjoyed this-- on the edge of sleep, when many people's thoughts are disjointed, you've got the babbler extraordinaire following a pretty cohesive thought pattern-- the rhyme, the tie-in with her thoughts of the Frost poem at the beginning of the whole adventure...

I'm saying it clumsily (after all, it's 3am here), but it's an excellent story, Labby. You didn't disappoint me. You ended the story on a hopeful note that allows the gentle readers to put their own future on it-- but you've guaranteed that we (with the possible exception of Tank) will imagine a bright future for our duo.

Oh, yeah, and the bad guys coming to such an anticlimactic end? Hey, them's the brakes, fellas (er, or not, on an icy bridge). <Sorry for the inadvertent pun!> You were so busy shooting at innocent reporters that you ignored the weather. Somehow, a river bottom is kinda fitting. Akin to the bottom of a barrel, or sinking to the depths... or something. <More bad puns; even worse, these were intentional!>

And you gave the dog a home! Now Lois doesn't have to take him home with her! I bet she's really happy about that!

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
Wow! What a cool way to end that. You've done a fabulous job of giving us the Lois side of things. And Clark knows that something has subtly changed...how sweet. I adore the build that has him holding onto his dream. Very 'ethereal' and keeping with the snow and the dreamy atmosphere.

This was gorgeous. thumbsup

Sherry

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I just so much enjoyed this story. The whole thing made me want to wrap up in a cozy blanket and have a cup of hot chocolate!

Mostly, I loved that it is a story about a promise - not the whole, hog-wild, love love love stuff, but something so much more real. Lab has so completely caught, for me anyway, the way I can imagine Lois and Clark's relationship blossoming. Small, baby steps, but going forward all the same. Even though these two didn't end up in bed together or declaring their undying love and devotion, the whole thing had such a happy, promising ending that you just know the eventual conclusion at some point further down the road.

Love the heart at the end. I loved it so much, I had planned to include it in the trailer, but it seemed too much of a spoiler, so I left it out. Since the story is finished, I'm going to post it now. This is what I imagine Lois drew on that frosted window pane.

[Linked Image]

Excellent story, Lab. Thanks for letting me get a sneak peek at it. Of course, now you've whetted my appetite. I hope we get to see some more from you and your Muse very soon. wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Kerth
Kerth
Cute ending! drool

Jose blush

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow! Well done and Bravo Lab!

TEEEEEEJ

N
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
N
I really loved the ending of this story... it was a refreshing change from the norm (which is not to say the norm isn't much appreciated as well... wink ) to leave things so open and unresolved. Granted, we all know what happens, but still...

Next, please!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard