Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#162729 11/01/09 12:14 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Please forgive me in advance for being obnoxious and don't be offended . . . . But there are certain words that get misspelled or misused over and over and drive me crazy.

The word that is bothering me today is "canon."

Everybody knows the word, but they don't understand why it is spelled this way, and they often misspell it.

I don't have the exact dictionary definition, but its most common use in the English language is in reference to canon law--that is, church law, especially in the Roman Catholic church.

In fanfic, it means something like "the official set of facts, as created by the show's writers."

I love word origins, and I get a huge smile when I see the created word "fanon," roughly meaning "an accepted set of facts, as created by multiple fanfic writers."

In contrast, a "cannon" is a piece of artillery used in warfare--although I guess some writers might figuratively use it to hurl insults at each other, or you might use one to blast me for this post.

Please feel free to post your own spelling or usage pet peeves in this thread.

And sometimes you just have to be OLD like me to know this stuff. I once had to explain to a very bright co-worker why email uses the terms "cc:" and "bcc:", because she had never made a carbon copy of a letter, or sent anyone a blind carbon copy (a letter that doesn't show the name of the person(s) getting a copy).

#162730 11/01/09 01:05 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Carbon Copy"? Huh, did not know that. When I was a kid, I assumed it was a bizarre way of abbreviating "Copy To" and left it at that. goofy

Ok, spellings: It's funny that you bring up Canon vs. Cannon, because the last time I edited the FoLC wiki, I was sweating bullets over that very thing. "OMG, is it one N or two? I CAN'T REMEMBER! Ack, my categories!" Believe me, as difficult as it is being a grammar nazi, it's even worse being a grammar nazi who can't spell. :rolleyes:

personally, I tend to blame English. Why do we have so many silent letters, double letters, and homophones? WHHYYYYYY????!!! dizzy

~•~
#162731 11/01/09 01:33 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, I have to get mine in.

How about pore vs. pour?

I was exchanging some mail with Corrina (Female Hawk) when I saw a phrase that was something like "...to pore over records..."
I had to be helpful and suggest that "...to pour over records..." would be correct. My thinking was, of course, that "pore" refers to those things on your skin.

To which she replied with an excerpt from a dictionary definition proving that I should never attempt to correct English or spelling without checking first.

So now that word will always remind me to check definitions before correcting others. smile

Bob

#162732 11/01/09 02:42 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
hey, I'm a Canadian so we have lots of different spellings - has always bugged my 'true north' soul when spellcheck flags 'neighbour' etc. smile

c.

#162733 11/01/09 04:05 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hee. That's why I love the "add to dictionary" option. There's a lot of words that I use for work that's not in normal dictionaries, even computer ones. Such as DSL.

Misused homophones do annoy me at times, like the where/were, its/it's, and there/their/they're. I did see an amusing one today, made more amusing by the response. This started off as a facetious (love that word, aeiou) response to an article against Halloween.

Original comment: It is people Like you that had good people like me burned at the steak because you do not understand us.

Response: Do witches come with A-1 Sauce now? Cause that would be fantastic.

Online, I'm a bit more lenient. Certain word usages make me go o_O, like a comment from my mom, "keep thinking its friday and i have the day off ..but agast its only thursday and work bah!!!!" I was a good daughter and didn't suggest alas would be better than aghast. wink

Written word typos annoy the heck out of me. I read a book once that had so many typos that I was tempted to apply for a copy-editing job with the publishing company. A friend has warned me about the typos in the latest Wheel of Time book, so I'm going to have to try to get past those.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#162734 11/01/09 05:06 PM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
YES!!!

My pet peeve of this sort is "discrete" and "discreet".

"She was very discrete about her trysts." Wait, her trysts were individually distinct? I certainly *hope* so. But I think what you meant is that she was subtle about them.

Drives me bonkers!

(And as a result, whenever I see discrete used correctly...I get irrationally and excessively excited. :p )

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#162735 11/01/09 05:32 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Misused homophones do annoy me at times, like the where/were, its/it's, and there/their/they're.
I have to agree on this one. I think this is one of my biggest pet peeves. And a little off topic, but I can't stand to see people shorten words on message boards. I don't see this here (maybe because it is a writing community,) but I've seen people on other message boards type wut for what, wud for would, and u, for you...I think you get the picture. This annoys the heck out of me. I don't, however, have an issue with abbreviations (OMG, IMO, BTW...)

And speaking of BTW...

Original comment: It is people Like you that had good people like me burned at the steak because you do not understand us.

Response: Do witches come with A-1 Sauce now? Cause that would be fantastic.
rotflol

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#162736 11/01/09 05:50 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I must have had some great English teachers in school because we actually learned how to spell! <g>

As a second language speaker it drives me nuts when I see there/they're/their misused. I actually cringe every time I see that.

Now for the silent letters, English is much easier than French. But somebody please explain to me the whole 'dessert' and 'desert' pronunciation!

Natascha

#162737 11/01/09 06:13 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
You have DEE-surt after dinner.

The de-sert is the hot place with the cactus.

[okay someone else could probably spell it better...]

#162738 11/01/09 06:42 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Carol, thanks.

I do know how to pronounce them but why isn't dessert pronounced like desert and the other way around, simply because of the number of 's' in it??

Would make a lot more sense!!

Natascha

#162739 11/01/09 06:44 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Oh yeah - that I've not got a clue wink .

#162740 11/02/09 06:38 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by In4Adventure:

Now for the silent letters, English is much easier than French.

I KNEW IT!!!! And people laugh at me when I say I'm afraid to learn French because of all those silent x's and n's and whatnot. cat

Carol, do you actually pronounce it DEE-sert? Because I always call my cake des-SERT. o_O

...and now I want cake. Thanks a *lot*, Carol. :rolleyes:

~•~
#162741 11/02/09 07:34 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Hey - I didn't start the dessert/desert thing...

And I say it with a long e... Maybe it's dees-sert?

Dunno...

#162742 11/02/09 08:18 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Another precinct heard from:
The food: de ZERT;
the dry place : DE zert;
the verb: de ZERT;

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#162743 11/02/09 11:42 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
For me, there's a slight difference in the de in both words, but it's really really hard to get across in text. The best I can think of is dessert is deeh-zert, and desert is deh-zert.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#162744 11/02/09 04:48 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
The one error that throws me out of a story is lose/loose.

He was afraid he'd loose his life if he didn't set the wild badger lose.

#162745 11/02/09 08:45 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:

Carol, do you actually pronounce it DEE-sert? Because I always call my cake des-SERT. o_O

I think des-sert is more of a French pronunciation (although you wouldn't actually pronounce the t at the end), but the vowels sure match. Or maybe it's one of those British vs. American things. I was inclined to pronounce it like you until I heard it DEE-sert on the show, so... huh

BTW, don't be afraid of learning French. It's not that difficult to know which silent letter goes where once you get the hang of it. The n's aren't usually all that silent (since they turn the preceding vowel into a nasal), and there are some other things like common endings (-au; -aux...) that will give you a clue, too. Even the accents on vowels (´ ` ^) aren't all that bad. Just - beware the grammar. wink

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#162746 11/03/09 03:54 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
"The one error that throws me out of a story is lose/loose.

He was afraid he'd loose his life if he didn't set the wild badger lose."

This is definitely one of my pet peeves, as well. It drives me crazy when I see things like "I'm afraid I'll loose the evidence." Arrgh!

Also peek, peak and pique. I peek through the knothole.
The climbers scaled the high mountain peak.

She indulged in a fit of pique.
The circumstances pique my curiosity.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#162747 11/03/09 04:27 AM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
The whole 'words that sound the same but are spelled differently' thing is one I really struggle with. But after hours of reflecting on the subject, I realize that it isn't really my fault. No. Not at all. It's the fault of those computer guys who can't come up with a computer program that catches misused homonyms. (Nice going, guys!!!!!) laugh

But somebody please explain to me the whole 'dessert' and 'desert' pronunciation!
Now, this one I can answer! The reason for one 's' in desert is would you really want more than one desert? And the reason for the double 's' in dessert is that I can always handle a second dessert. laugh (This was my mom's way of trying to teach her dyslexic daughter how to spell wink )

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#162748 11/03/09 05:24 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The reason for one 's' in desert is would you really want more than one desert? And the reason for the double 's' in dessert is that I can always handle a second dessert
ML,

I love it!!!!

Certainly explains the spelling but still not the pronunciation.

Natascha

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard