Page 1 of 2 1 2
#162440 08/14/09 05:46 AM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Okay - it's not really that time again yet but... It's time to start thinking about it if you're doing Nano this year smile .

My 'other mom' posted something on facebook the other day about it and I told her I'd finished the last two years [of course then she wanted to know why they weren't 'publishable' and etc and I ended up admitting that I write fic :p ].

This year, I'm writing an original fiction, I think. Part of me wants to start working on it now and have it done by then wink . I spent a couple hours last night thinking about it and wrote about 4 pages of notes on it.

We had a pretty good group last year. Who's up for it this year?

Carol

Official NaNoWriMo Site

#162441 08/14/09 07:44 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I'm in! I couldn't exactly have my 6yo do NaNo and not do it myself...

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm a little nervous at the same time.

Amber

#162442 08/14/09 07:54 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I've been thinking about it, though I'm due December 5th, so I'm not sure how I'm going to be feeling in November.

I still have to finish my novel from last year. I haven't got much beyond the 50,000 words, and I need another 50,000 words to finish, so NaNo sounds like a plan.

But getting pregnant this year kind of threw a wrench in everything. I've haven't written in months!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#162443 08/14/09 09:38 AM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
And, of course, about an hour after I posted this, I get a phone call from my [old] boss asking me to teach three classes this fall. This is a Very Good Thing and the money is going to be SO nice but is still going to cut into my writing time laugh .

But it's all good...

#162444 08/14/09 02:59 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yes, I plan to join you for NaNo again. I plan to have my pre-writing done before I start this year, and we'll see if I can push to write faster this year since I'd really like half or more of this 1st draft done this time.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
#162445 08/14/09 06:29 PM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I really have been out of touch. I haven't the slightest idea what this is about.

confused Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#162446 08/15/09 03:03 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Jude, if you follow the link in Carol's post, you'll find all the info you could need and want there. But basically (from the website):

National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.
It's been going for a number of years now, very successfully and quite a lot of FoLCs participate, annually.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#162447 08/15/09 09:13 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Hey, Miz Rat, thanks for filling me in. smile

Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

George Orwell
#162448 08/15/09 06:59 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The thing I find interesting about it, Jude, is that professional novelists write as fast as NaNoWrimers--at least on the first draft. The ones I know usually write about 2500 words per day, five days a week, and the rate for NaNoWriMo is 1667 words per day, 7 days a week. Both come out to 50,000 words per month.

BTW, if anyone is thinking of planning out their novel (whether fic or original material) before November, there's an interesting series of articles on structuring a novel at Story Fix .

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
#162449 08/17/09 01:24 PM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Aye, Sheila, and therein lies the rub, for me anyway. That discipline of writing anything every day is what I have a very hard time with. I have a great admiration for anyone who can do it.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

George Orwell
#162450 08/17/09 01:36 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I never had an issue with writing every day, but the one thing I simply cannot do is just write and keep on writing until I get to the end.

I have to write the first para, then hone it, rewrite it to the nth degree until it is just right before I go on to the next. A compulsion I've never been capable of breaking.

I admire those who can. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#162451 08/18/09 04:48 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by LabRat:
I never had an issue with writing every day, but the one thing I simply cannot do is just write and keep on writing until I get to the end.

I have to write the first para, then hone it, rewrite it to the nth degree until it is just right before I go on to the next. A compulsion I've never been capable of breaking.

I admire those who can. smile

LabRat smile
I have the exact same problem, Labby. Which is one of the reasons why I probably won't ever do NaNoWriMo. Not to mention, I've never done that "write every day" thing--how else do you think it's been months (almost a year, I think, actually, if not more) since the last chapter of PPKM came out? wink

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#162452 08/18/09 04:54 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'll put my name in as a maybe.

Although I promised myself that I would finally write the first LnC plot bunny that bit me two years ago, life has kinda handed me my backside and I don't know if I'll be able to do it.
wallbash
<sigh>

Can anyone speed up the harvest or teleport me off of this rock?

#162453 08/19/09 03:46 AM
rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'd love to join but my Muse when on vacation after spurring me to finish Creation as fast as I could type. Since then confused

I wish she'd come back. I have a story whirling around in my head, just not enough specifics to put fingers to the keyboard. It's (sortof) a Pilot re-write too.

Sigh.

thanks!

rkn
#162454 08/25/09 03:21 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
So that's what NaNoWriMo is about! I heard (read) it mentioned, got curious but always forgot to search it (lazy me...). Until now the NaNo part made me think it had something to do with technology... :rolleyes:

I'm enlightened now smile Still, maybe one day I'll acquire the needed skills to have a try at it. I know it comes with practice and right now the only thing I can accomplish in a full day are about 800 words of non productive writing... (I usually don't like what I write so I end up deleting it every half hour and starting over again and again, until I'm bored and just give up on the whole thing...) huh

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#162455 08/28/09 06:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
by CarolM
This year, I'm writing an original fiction, I think. Part of me wants to start working on it now and have it done by then [Wink] . I spent a couple hours last night thinking about it and wrote about 4 pages of notes on it.
Please post in the "Original Fiction" board - I enjoy the rest of your stuff and I'm sure your original fic would be well worth reading, too.

#162456 08/28/09 07:35 PM
Top Banana
Online Content
Top Banana
My DS and DH keep saying they want me to write something original but my muse wants to write about New Krypton... I think my muse will win this year. At least I know I'll like my POV character.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#162457 10/15/09 05:16 PM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Or close enough to two weeks wink .

Who else is in?

I'm almost done with BIII and then writing OF for Nano...

It shall have Jazzy, and a broken barca lounger in it...

#162458 10/16/09 06:35 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Well, I want to be in, but I might be too pregnant and hormonal to be writing right now. I hate everything that I wrote last year and want to start completely over. My husband thinks that it's the hormones talking.

I will say that participating in NaNo this year will make that last month of pregnancy fly by. I had so much fun with it last year (and amazed myself by actually finishing 50,000 words) that I really want to do it again this year.

I'll just have to wait and see what November brings. Last year I decided to participate on the spur of the moment and at the last minute.

So...I guess I'll say maybe.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#162459 10/26/09 05:59 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
In an effort to kick start my muse (and because of a challenge from a friend), I'll be doing NaNoWriMo this year. I'll be working on a piece of original fiction, but I'll take all the support I can get. smile I'm hoping this will lead to the creation of some good L and C work later...I've got all these ideas in my head, but my inner perfectionist won't let me write.

"Women frustrate men because they're too complicated. Men frustrate women because they're not complicated enough."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard