Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Here's the actual Straight Dope:

Bummer! I was just going to have Superman squeeze some coal into diamonds for me in an upcoming fic. Darn those impurities in the coal anyway.

No matter! I'm going to ignore this and Superman is going to make diamonds in my next fic. We'll just ignore any little problems with the gems.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I'd go with the other girl's standard answer:

He's Superman wink .

And call it a day.

Carol

C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
The idea is fantastic, though. Go ahead with it! Wish I had my own personal Superman like that! grumble

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
Kerth
Kerth
This article is so funny, especially with the girl always giving her standard answer - he *is* Superman, after all.

Besides, why not play a joke about the impurities? If there are enough of them - and there obviously are - shouldn't the diamond turn out black? Imagine Clark's surprise!

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Columnist
Columnist
I'm with Una - "he's Superman". rotflol

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wouldn't compressing the coal so quickly create sufficient heat? Of course, if Supes started with a fist-sized chunk of coal, he'd end up with a much smaller diamond, wouldn't he? So creating a fifteen-pound diamond wouldn't be possible, even if he is Superman. He wouldn't be able to get both hands around a piece of coal that big.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
While coal density can vary greatly depending on the deposit it originates from, here is some number chugging:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_density_of_Coal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond

If you take the highest density listed on that page: 1.506 g/mL and compare it to the density of diamond: 3.5 g/cm^3 (1 mL is roughly equal to 1 cm^3 for practical purposes) then the volume differential is only just under 2:1. So, a fist size piece of that type of coal would yield a raw diamond about half that volume.

Onto the impurities. I would compare it to water freezing. When a body of water freezes the crystalline lattice is so precisely coordinated that the very act of freezing forces out most impurities. Apply that to this process. If you assume that the collapse of the carbon into the diamond lattice starts from the center and move outward then it could be that the formation of the diamond would force impurities out of the lattice. Or the lattice could contain faults where it couldn't collapse, I don't know which is more likely. On the other hand, depending on the impurities in the coal used, you could have something that is a natural variant of diamond. The presense of Nitrogen can cause a yellow or brown diamond while boron can cause the rare blue diamonds. Therefore, maybe a diamond made from compressed coal could be some very interesting shade that would make the super-hero forged gem even more unique! =)

I did, however, thoroughly enjoy reading through that link and enjoyed looking up enough to be able to add my own attempt to rationalize an illogical stereotype in our fandom, ~.^

Sara "Lieta"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hell, the fandom itself imposes the illogical stereotype--not L&C specifically, but it's been done in Smallville and long before that in Superman III (I think that was the one, anyway--it might've been IV, I can't remember which).

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard