Next Thread
Print Thread
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Boston has Beacon Hill. Other cities have...

You know, where the Rockefellers or whoever used to live. The mansions/exclusive neighborhoods, etc.

I came up with Gramercy Park area for NYC but I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for.

NYC? Philly? Chicago? Anywhere else? Am thinking New England mostly for some reason but anywhere is acceptable. Charlotte? Atlanta?

Looking for where the old money folks would have lived [and if there's such an area in canonical Metropolis or what ya'll think it might be called if there was].

Thanks smile .
Carol

Merriwether
Merriwether
In Manhattan, the Upper East Side (the 70's and 80's, east of Central Park) is considered one of the most exclusive areas. The Upper West Side (west of Central Park) is also exclusive, but a bit more off-beat ... think old money multi-millionaires living on the Upper East Side, with movie stars & rock stars living on the Upper West Side.

Top Banana
Top Banana
For Metropolis - the Hamstead neighborhood in Bakerline is old money as is St. Martin's Island (Uptown and Eastside neighborhoods.) There's also Park Ridge (Vernon and Racine neighborhoods)

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Top Banana
Top Banana
For Philadelphia, the old money lives on the Main Line, so called for the railroad line that goes there, near Villanova College.

For Washington, DC, the suburban money is in Potomac, MD or McClean, VA.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Kerth
Kerth
For London it's mainly Chelsea. But the real money, the older monied families, probably don't live in London, except for maybe keeping a town house for occasional use. I'd imagine this would apply to other cities too.

See e.g. Stately Wayne Manor, which I think I'm right to say is well outside the Gotham City limits, and Bruce Wayne's penthouse apartment in town.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I think you're right about Philadelphia's Main Line, Happy Girl, but the last time I looked Vassar College was in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., not Philadelphia. In Chicago, to my best recollection, it was the North Shore; in L.A., nobody lived in L.A., they lived in Beverly Hills. In NYC, it's the Hamptons. I believe in Dallas, it was Highland Park. In D.C., I think it's someplace in Virginia, Arlington or Alexandria, maybe. Hope I've helped.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Thanks guys smile .

Think I've got it at:

"It's an old mansion on The Hill," Clark explained. "It's one of the oldest in that area. Like Boston has Beacon Hill or New York has the Upper East Side and Park Avenue and Chicago has the Gold Coast."

Does that sound about right? Some place where people with money would have lived in the late 1800s or whatever that is still considered to be the exclusive upper crust or whatever...

Carol

Merriwether
Merriwether
I would buy that, Carol. thumbsup

And just to follow up ...

In D.C., I think it's someplace in Virginia, Arlington or Alexandria, maybe.
Arlington and Alexandria have nice areas, no question, but on average, both are what I would describe as upper middle class, with areas of working class in each. The homes are expensive by many standards -- $600-800K buys you a three to four bedroom family home with good schools but very little yard -- but the lifestyles are not "rich" as much as typical white collar, college educated, two-income families. You just need two professional incomes (and years to save up a down payment) to afford what in many areas of the country would be affordable on one professional income or two working class incomes.

Having lived the last year in Arlington (with my best friend from college just a few miles down the road in Alexandria), I still shake my head at how expensive housing is here. A million-dollar home here is nice, but not nearly as fancy as you'd think it would be for that price.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Carol, that seems fine. Just to clarify a little, D.C. is a small area. Most of the money is in Maryland and Virginia on the outskirts. But for D.C. itself, DuPont Circle and Embassy Row are the biggest old houses. Which mostly have been converted to Embasseys and art museums.
The Hamptons are at the end of Long Island and are a major drive from downtown New York. They are mostly summer houses. The areas around Central Park are the prime spots.
Old money in LA is Hancock Park. Beverly Hills is more entertainment and nuveau riche.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
"I think you're right about Philadelphia's Main Line, Happy Girl, but the last time I looked Vassar College was in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., not Philadelphia."

My bad, Jude. I meant Villanova. One of those 'V' names. wink

BTW How many Vassar girls does it take to change a lightbulb?

That's *women* and it's not funny!

This *is* my happily ever after.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard