Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Go PJ! I liked your review. Too bad the links didn't work, but I'm sure the idea got through.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Merriwether
Merriwether
I've got Grab and Gimp, I'll send you the screens, Wendy.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Kerth
Kerth
Wow - that's just so, so wrong. I went and read the reviews and cackled at the comments. laugh Hopefully this person will learn their lesson.

Yvonne, I hope you can take comfort in the fact that you're eminently worth imitating. And you have many, many friends watching out for your best interests.

On a side note, I remember years ago in the XF community there was a big to-do when it was discovered that someone had taken Mulder/Scully stories and simply switched the names to make them into fanfic for "The Nanny". The mind boggles. dizzy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Wendymr:
Yvonne does know - she's posted a review of the plagiarised story and also posted above in this thread.

I have now posted a report to the Stop Plagiarism community, citing two plagiarised stories. My post is in a moderation queue at the moment; I'll let you know when it's up in case anyone wants to follow the discussion. Oh, and my screencaps are fairly poor as all I have at my disposal is Print Screen and Paint. If anyone has better capping resources let me know in case the investigators want them.

Wendy smile
I used to have a Buffy fanfic archive and I had a lot of dealings with Stop_Plagiarism. Good group of people! they will get to the bottom of it, I'm sure.

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Kerth
Kerth
Turning Mulder/Scully stories into LnC stories I could understand - but into 'The Nanny'? eek

But I have to agree, this whole plagiarism situation is *not* funny. But it's good to see several people writing reviews to that effect. I could almost pity that poor misguided fellow. Almost.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Merriwether
Merriwether
I went through and googled the first lines of the rest of that person's stories, and found 5 other stories that were copied from other sites. I guess they thought they'd never be caught?

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This made my blood boil. I left a comment with my thoughts - the printable ones, at least.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Kerth
Kerth
Turning Mulder/Scully stories into LnC stories I could understand
I dunno - the characters are so completely different, I don't see how it could work.

It doesn't surprise me that the other stories were also plagiarized. And now I'm a little suspicious of the author's sister - can we check those stories as well?
In fact, my first fics were the products of both boredom, and my sister egging me to write. My sister, who goes by the alias Kazie Solo, is A GREAT writer and is only 21!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Ides of Metropolis
Merriwether
Merriwether
I checked the first 20 of the sister's stories. Only 1 had another story linked on google. The year is the same, and the names are similar, so I think it was the same person posting in 2 different places.

Kerth
Kerth
That's good - maybe it's a case of trying to keep up with their sibling. Thanks for checking, Karen!

Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, we're starting to have an effect on the reviews. Yes,the story is great. Too bad she didn't write any of it.
mad
Artemis

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Also on the reviews for another story, Artemis:

http://www.fanfiction.net/r/1353545/

Wendy wink

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Anyone else notice this on her profile:

Superman fanfics coming soon...
Fanfics? Plural? Wonder who else she's planning to steal from? :rolleyes:

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I just have to wonder why the XMen fandom didn't pick up on this earlier. Were all of her fics plagiarized? She's been trickling stories on FF.net for years.

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's late at night here and I clicked on the links - the plagiarised Yvonne Connell story must have been taken down as the link doesn't work anymore. Also, I don't see the line in the profile about "Superman fanfics coming soon".

Hopefully that means that everyone's efforts, in reporting and exposing, have been successful.

I was disgusted to hear of the theft. The story "Go Softly Into The Night" is one of the finest fanfics I've ever read. It has stayed with me ever since I read it, more than a year ago. It is certainly well worth plagiarizing, from a strict value point of view! /lame laugh/

I guess if you're going to steal, then steal from the best. Doesn't condone it, but explains it.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting - it's gone that fast? Clearly the ff.net admins got on the case - or perhaps the author saw the reviews and took it down, if the Superman fics line is gone. I'm glad I took screencaps!

The report about this incident is now up on Stop Plagiarism . The mod in charge of the case has identified all but one of the person's other 'stories' and is contacting authors.

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
This is just disgusting. I'm always appaled to hear about such cases.

Anyway, I just checked out a few links posted here, and apparantely, all of her stories have been deleted and her account has been removed. So at least that's taken care of very quickly, but still, I always have grave doubts about persons subcombing to plagiarism to learn from their mistakes. She will probably show up somewhere again...

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Top Banana
Top Banana
Forgot to say many thanks to Karen for alerting me to all of this. Also hugs and thanks to all of you for your wonderful support!

An apology from the plagiarist would be nice, but so would a win on the National Lottery... wink

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yep, it's gone. It was still there about 9:30 p.m. PDT last night. By the time I posted my review, the reviews were tipping to negative as the majority.
cool
Artemis

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Not sure it's really an apology but check out the Stopping Plagiarism page Wendy linked to. The 'author' posted there...

Carol

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard