Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I saw this story today in fanfiction.net's "Superman movie" section:
Superman: I am Human too

I remember reading this story here a while back (summary: Clark comes to Lois for comfort after his father dies of a heart attack, and Lois figures out he's Clark as he leaves since Clark had rushed to Smallville to be with Jonathan who had taken ill.) However, the impression I get is that the author on fanfiction.net is not the same person who posted it here. I looked for the story here to check but couldn't find it. I hope I'm wrong.

Does anyone else remember this story, and have a link to it?

Edit: fixed link

Merriwether
Merriwether
Definite plagiarism. I searched for the first line on the archive, and found Go Softly Into the Night by Yvonne Connell.

I reported it to fanfiction.net, so we'll see what they say.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I tried the link and it no longer exists, so perhaps ff.net has done something about it. Let's hope so. Thanks for the heads up, Debbie.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
Psst.. the link is wrong. Remove the first http:// from the address. wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Labby - the link is still active, only there seems to be a typo in Debbie's post somehow. Here's one that works:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4157844/1/Superman_I_am_Human_too

~Lara
(who is totally not supposed to be here right now. *lol*)

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The link has two "http", but the story is still there and definitely is the same story . The plagiarist just changed the title; the rest is the same, commas and all. It's a shame that somebody could be so despicable to copy a whole story and flat out lie saying to be the author. razz razz razz It's abominable. mad mad

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Aha. Well, I registered with ff.net, and added a review of the story pointing out its true origins. At least those who've been posting glowing reviews will be made aware that it's not her work. razz

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I just went and looked -- no question. So I reviewed it:

I really liked this story. I really liked it back when I first read it, too -- in 2006. You know, back when the author's name on it was Yvonne Connell. Before you stole her hard work and put it up under your own name.

http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2006/gosoftly.txt

For everyone else... if you liked this story, you might like others that Yvonne has written, and she's written a lot of them. http://www.lcfanfic.com/author_c.htm#ConnellYvonne
For whatever that's worth. It said it could take up to an hour for the review to post. Labby, I haven't seen yours yet.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And I forgot to say... Thank you, Debbie, for noticing something off and following up on it. That's pretty much the only way to catch plagiarism, and we have to look out for each other. You done good. thumbsup

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I liked yours better, Pam, anyway. laugh I wasn't sure how to include direct links to Yvonne's story, so glad you were able to include that.

Also the link to Y's other work was a nice touch. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I looked at both versions and was amazed. This was more than simply stealing an idea or some dialog, this was a complete copy with only a name change.

I know some of the authors that post here also post their works to fanfiction.net. Is part of the reason to try to cut down on this sort of thing?

Are there any general rules or guidelines for posting stories to multiple sites? What are the benefits and the downsides?

Bob

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Having written a few things (none of which are as good as Yvonne's story referenced here), I'd be really ticked off if someone stole my work and claimed as his/her own. For what it's worth to Yvonne, the reviewers who commented on the story were moved quite deeply, just like those of us here who read it when Yvonne was still the author. /end snarky crack

I don't know what fanfiction.net's policy on plagiarism is, but I hope they enforce it swiftly and efficiently. If it were me, I'd put a tag on that author's home page that revealed that the story was stolen and that anything from this author is therefore suspect in regard to its origin.

Yeah, I'm kinda hard-headed that way.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I've seen plagiarism before but this was by far the most blatant.

As far as I know there's no reason not to post a story you wrote as many places as you like. The archive hasn't got exclusive rights or anything. I've posted some of mine to ff.net. It's just that mostly I barely have time to get a story posted one place, let alone multiples!

PJ
who really ought to get back in touch with her General Editor...

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Labby, both our comments have posted now, but the links I put in didn't come through. I should have spaced out the address or something. I might just try again. Although I am at work, and they expect to actually get some productivity out of me in return for a paycheck...

PJ
eta: okay, tried again, but if this one doesn't work I think I'll give up...

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I read it and reviewed - I KNEW i'd read it before but figured it was a repost.

I hate plagiar-cows.

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, this is a blast from the past! Part of me is amused at the pitiful lengths some people will go to in pursuit of a bit of attention, and part of me is just plain annoyed.

I've posted on the site, and hopefully fanfiction.net will eventually take the story down.

Many thanks for all the flattering comments about my story.

Yvonne

Top Banana
Top Banana
FF.net does not allow links in their reviews for security and anti-spam purposes. (more's the pity.)

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, that's just disgusting frown

There's a community on LiveJournal called Stop Plagiarism: http://community.livejournal.com/stop_plagiarism. They investigate reports of plagiarism, follow up with the alleged plagiarist, help the real author communicate with the website hosting the plagiarised story, and maintain a list of known plagiarists. Of course, chances are that the person concerned will just change their nick, but it's still helpful.

I know, from dropping into the community from time to time, that ff.net will delete stories and ban users once an abuse report has been made and they have evidence - but it takes times.

If you want to report this to Stop Plagiarism, you'll need screenshots of this story including the posted date (in case it gets taken down), and links to the original story. Copies of any attempts to contact the plagiarist are also helpful. My guess is the other works there could well also be plagiarised...

ETA: a five-second Google search found a second plagiarised story: Homecoming is actually Missing by Elizabeth Wilde.

I think I'll go to Stop Plagiarism myself!

Wendy mad

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
I did drop the alleged author a note to let her know the jig was up. Originally I thought it was a cross-posting from the L&C section, which is bad form over there and can get you banned. Then I saw this thread and realized where the story came originally - the L&C archives.

Now I have to keep an eye out in the event this person tries to post it to the Movieverse Archive.

Has anyone tried to get in touch with Yvonne to let her know? shock

Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yvonne does know - she's posted a review of the plagiarised story and also posted above in this thread.

I have now posted a report to the Stop Plagiarism community, citing two plagiarised stories. My post is in a moderation queue at the moment; I'll let you know when it's up in case anyone wants to follow the discussion. Oh, and my screencaps are fairly poor as all I have at my disposal is Print Screen and Paint. If anyone has better capping resources let me know in case the investigators want them.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Go PJ! I liked your review. Too bad the links didn't work, but I'm sure the idea got through.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Merriwether
Merriwether
I've got Grab and Gimp, I'll send you the screens, Wendy.

Kerth
Kerth
Wow - that's just so, so wrong. I went and read the reviews and cackled at the comments. laugh Hopefully this person will learn their lesson.

Yvonne, I hope you can take comfort in the fact that you're eminently worth imitating. And you have many, many friends watching out for your best interests.

On a side note, I remember years ago in the XF community there was a big to-do when it was discovered that someone had taken Mulder/Scully stories and simply switched the names to make them into fanfic for "The Nanny". The mind boggles. dizzy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Wendymr:
Yvonne does know - she's posted a review of the plagiarised story and also posted above in this thread.

I have now posted a report to the Stop Plagiarism community, citing two plagiarised stories. My post is in a moderation queue at the moment; I'll let you know when it's up in case anyone wants to follow the discussion. Oh, and my screencaps are fairly poor as all I have at my disposal is Print Screen and Paint. If anyone has better capping resources let me know in case the investigators want them.

Wendy smile
I used to have a Buffy fanfic archive and I had a lot of dealings with Stop_Plagiarism. Good group of people! they will get to the bottom of it, I'm sure.

Kerth
Kerth
Turning Mulder/Scully stories into LnC stories I could understand - but into 'The Nanny'? eek

But I have to agree, this whole plagiarism situation is *not* funny. But it's good to see several people writing reviews to that effect. I could almost pity that poor misguided fellow. Almost.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Merriwether
Merriwether
I went through and googled the first lines of the rest of that person's stories, and found 5 other stories that were copied from other sites. I guess they thought they'd never be caught?

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This made my blood boil. I left a comment with my thoughts - the printable ones, at least.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Kerth
Kerth
Turning Mulder/Scully stories into LnC stories I could understand
I dunno - the characters are so completely different, I don't see how it could work.

It doesn't surprise me that the other stories were also plagiarized. And now I'm a little suspicious of the author's sister - can we check those stories as well?
In fact, my first fics were the products of both boredom, and my sister egging me to write. My sister, who goes by the alias Kazie Solo, is A GREAT writer and is only 21!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Ides of Metropolis
Merriwether
Merriwether
I checked the first 20 of the sister's stories. Only 1 had another story linked on google. The year is the same, and the names are similar, so I think it was the same person posting in 2 different places.

Kerth
Kerth
That's good - maybe it's a case of trying to keep up with their sibling. Thanks for checking, Karen!

Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, we're starting to have an effect on the reviews. Yes,the story is great. Too bad she didn't write any of it.
mad
Artemis

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Also on the reviews for another story, Artemis:

http://www.fanfiction.net/r/1353545/

Wendy wink

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Anyone else notice this on her profile:

Superman fanfics coming soon...
Fanfics? Plural? Wonder who else she's planning to steal from? :rolleyes:

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I just have to wonder why the XMen fandom didn't pick up on this earlier. Were all of her fics plagiarized? She's been trickling stories on FF.net for years.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's late at night here and I clicked on the links - the plagiarised Yvonne Connell story must have been taken down as the link doesn't work anymore. Also, I don't see the line in the profile about "Superman fanfics coming soon".

Hopefully that means that everyone's efforts, in reporting and exposing, have been successful.

I was disgusted to hear of the theft. The story "Go Softly Into The Night" is one of the finest fanfics I've ever read. It has stayed with me ever since I read it, more than a year ago. It is certainly well worth plagiarizing, from a strict value point of view! /lame laugh/

I guess if you're going to steal, then steal from the best. Doesn't condone it, but explains it.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting - it's gone that fast? Clearly the ff.net admins got on the case - or perhaps the author saw the reviews and took it down, if the Superman fics line is gone. I'm glad I took screencaps!

The report about this incident is now up on Stop Plagiarism . The mod in charge of the case has identified all but one of the person's other 'stories' and is contacting authors.

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
This is just disgusting. I'm always appaled to hear about such cases.

Anyway, I just checked out a few links posted here, and apparantely, all of her stories have been deleted and her account has been removed. So at least that's taken care of very quickly, but still, I always have grave doubts about persons subcombing to plagiarism to learn from their mistakes. She will probably show up somewhere again...

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Top Banana
Top Banana
Forgot to say many thanks to Karen for alerting me to all of this. Also hugs and thanks to all of you for your wonderful support!

An apology from the plagiarist would be nice, but so would a win on the National Lottery... wink

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yep, it's gone. It was still there about 9:30 p.m. PDT last night. By the time I posted my review, the reviews were tipping to negative as the majority.
cool
Artemis

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Not sure it's really an apology but check out the Stopping Plagiarism page Wendy linked to. The 'author' posted there...

Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Beat me to it, Carol. I was just idly wandering through the Stopping Plagiarism site (excellent resource btw) and spotted it, too.

Here's her excuse:

(Anonymous) wrote:
Apr. 10th, 2009 05:47 am (UTC)
It's me, Shin-Kalel. Thank you for your email Spiralleds, and for the chance to explain myself.

I am sorry for having posted the work of others. I just wanted to start with existing stories so I would be able to make my own, and believe me, I have made a few of my own already thanks to those I published. I didn't know that publishing those would lead to chaos.

Again, my heartfelt apologies, and starting today, I will remove my account from FanFiction.net, never to go to that site, or any other site again, to post anything.

I'm sorry for my shortcomings, I humbly beg forgiveness from you and the authors.

Shin-Kalel
ETA: I've been trawling back through previous entries on the SP site and, honestly, it's worth taking a look at some of the excuses offered by plagiarists. Makes you shake your head and wonder what their parents and teachers taught them when they were growing up.

I like this one:

Well, thanks for telling me that I have writing ability, I guess. Honesty, it was my first story (or maybe not 'my' first story) and it is my last. I don't know the exact definition of 'plagiarism', and I certainly didn't mean for it to be a stolen story. I appreciate your time, and I would just like to let you know that I have no intention of writing any more fanfictions. If I do decide to in the future, I will make it completely my own. I appreciate your understanding, and I hope, as you said, that the "fandom" will forgive me. If you choose to put my name on a list of "known plagiarists", then could you send me the url? I have never seen one of these, and I would at least like to check it out. Of course, this is unneccessary due to the fact that I only wrote one story and I only planned on that one story.
Eeesh.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, that is strange. It sounds like they have no concept of what plagiarism is. But how can they think they worked on anything if they simply copied a whole story and pasted it on another board? They didn't even change the names of the characters with a global replace?
Even so, I'm sad to see someone declare they won't write ever again. They had good taste to pick good stories. Actually, the whole apology was so effusive, I'm skeptical (but I'm a cynic). My bet is they try it again under another pseudonym. Most first timers would be in denial first. huh huh
cool
Artemis

Top Banana
Top Banana
One would think that people would have been taught in their Language Arts classes (for whatever language) that taking someone else's work and slapping their name on it was stealing - they wouldn't have gotten away with it in school, so why do they think they can get away with it in the rest of their lives?

It also means they haven't read any of the guidelines ff.net has on what is and is not allowed, nor any other archive guidelines.

Luckily, such blatant theft seems relatively rare in fanfiction - in part due to self-policing as evidenced here.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm stunned that the 'author' posted there. Still, all the plagiarised stories are gone, which is good. I just posted a note of thanks to the comm and the mod on our behalf.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I had to go back to 2005 and read some of my 'old' cases with Stop_plagiarism. It made me laugh. Oh the good ole days...
The lameness that some people can display is overwhelming!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Stop_plagiarism has posted a follow-up to the original post and investigation, just summing up findings.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
It is good to see it dealt with. The motive however just weirds me out.

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How people can think that it's okay to post somebody else's work as their own, and not view it as cheating, is a mystery to me.

At least Google (and vigilant fans) are making it harder to get away with.

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for posting the link to the follow-up Wendy. It's nice to see that it is dealt with. Looks like Shin Kalel never did any original writing at all, just slapped new titles on other stories. How there is any satisfaction in that I simply can't understand.
cool
Artemis

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What's really depressing and chilling is the attitude/excuse given by this plagiarist - which, reading the stories on the SP website, are not at all unusual.

This idea of "Well, you see, I didn't actually have any writing talent, so I couldn't write or post any stories of my own, so I just figured no one would mind if I took other people's and posted them instead and I'm really surprised to find out that's considered a bad thing to do."

I mean where does that kind of thinking come from? eek

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LabRat, the answer is the lack of proper teaching. Sadly, this has become common in the USA.
cool
Artemis

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Out of the 15 or so term papers I've graded, I've had about 5 or 6 that were plagiarized and a couple more I gave the benefit of the doubt to.

I get to grade about 25 more; we'll see how those do :p . And these were 2 2 page papers each, so 4 pages total on two different topics.

Fun times...
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is infuriating. One of my college research papers was plagiarized word for word and then afterwards, the person bragged that they got an A plus when I got an A minus. The nerve of some people.

I would have love to have seen some of the comments all of you put on fanfiction.net! And how in the world could someone not know what plagiarism is? Maybe they might not know the official name, but surely they know what stealing means.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This idea of "Well, you see, I didn't actually have any writing talent, so I couldn't write or post any stories of my own, so I just figured no one would mind if I took other people's and posted them instead and I'm really surprised to find out that's considered a bad thing to do."

I mean where does that kind of thinking come from? [Eek!]
As I was reading this again a thought struck -- wonder if some of the cases aren't writers at all, but in their group, it's cool/common to have stories on ff.net. Since they can't write their own, they pick something else and put their name on it. The story's not the important thing, and there's none of the satisfaction *we* have in getting feedback on our hard work -- but what is important is that the person has now posted *something* and is thus one of the cool kids. The peer pressure is focused on participation, not originality. The number of reviews is a status thing, so numbers are all that matter, not content. huh

Okay, it's hard to imagine fanfic-writing being that cool <g> but if all your friends are doing it...

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree, Pam. Plagiarism of a fanfic makes no sense to me, either. At the same time, it's one of those things that I keep trying to understand. I mean, I can understand stealing someone's essay to submit for a class. You want the marks but you don't want to do the work. But stealing a fanfic? It's not as if it's going to give you the feeling of a job well done - nor is it going to benefit you financially or in terms of easy marks. So why bother? There must be some other motivation - like peer pressure. But I wouldn't have considered writing fanfic as the 'cool' thing to do.

But then, a lot of things about the web completely confuse me. For example, why do people claim to have insider information about a political candidate or a reality show outcome or almost anything else when they don't? Or why do people feel free to be mean just because they don't have to sign their own name to a comment?

There has to be a reason for these things, but for the life of me, I can't understand it. I'm sure it would make an interesting study.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Or why do people feel free to be mean just because they don't have to sign their own name to a comment?
I took a web studies class in grad school, and we talked about this all the time. There are so many things said online that we would never say face to face but because we have a level of detachment (the computer) separating us...some how this lessens our thoughts concerning the consequences of our dialogue. We went off on tangents a lot about how our whole society is finding new ways all the time of detachment...email, text message...

Maybe if we had more face to face conversations, we'd all be a little peachier online. wink I bet psych departments are writing whole papers on this kind of stuff...

The only reason I can think of so far for stealing fanfic is a little fame or glory in a comments section...which is sad that you need to steal it, but ok, it's a *little* geeky cool that someone thinks fanfic is worth all that trouble...If that makes any sense.

Cheerio
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Silly thought, but it seems backwards to me that people would plagarize fanfic to get glory among their RL friends when so many true fanfic authors don't even tell their RL friends that they write fanfic because they feel too geeky.

Elisabeth
who has always been forthcoming about her geeky hobbies

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard