Next Thread
Print Thread
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
This is for a new as yet untitled wip...

Someone [no one we know] is having heart bypass surgery. I realized that I said this surgery was going to happen in a few weeks and then he'd be off work for a couple months.

Then I got to thinking that if someone needs bypass surgery, they're not going to wait a few weeks to do it - they'll have it as soon as they can schedule it unless there's some mitigating circumstance - an infection of some kind already - like bronchitis or pneumonia are the first two that come to mind but then he wouldn't be working even light duty in the meantime right?

So any advice/suggestions? Some kind of surgery that can be scheduled a month or so in advance without the delay being a big deal but will still take two or three months before this person is back to work full time?

Thoughts? Not a huge detail - well kind of but I could just always send him on a two month vacation or something but that's not the same...

TIA!
Carol

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
how about a hip replacement, shoulder surgery or knee surgery or Achilles tendon

robinson
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Shoulder occurred to me but Dad had both shoulders replaced since last June - one about a week before Thanksgiving.

He's a teacher, which would be a similar work load [we're not talking construction or anything] and was back at work in a couple weeks though he still doesn't have as much range of motion in the second one as he will eventually.

[He did the right shoulder in June so it would be mostly better by Aug then the left before Thanksgiving - since he's right handed, he was able to go back to work much faster.]

Top Banana
Top Banana
If the bypass surgery was to correct a congenital defect (say a narrowing of the arteries), not because of an infarct, that could be scheduled well in advance. (It was for my father-in-law.)

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Columnist
Columnist
Knee surgery would definitely work if you were reconstructing the ACL. You're off that one leg for a month, then strictly light walking with a brace for another two months. You gradually work in more and more exercises from there. Total recovery time is six months! I know because I'm on month seven! dizzy

SQD

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Hmm...

How long until you could be back at a desk job, no walking required?

Columnist
Columnist
You could be back in as little as six weeks, but if you throw in complications (like I had), it might be longer. I couldn't take the pain meds- they made me sick. Changed those, then I was especially weak. So, with total reconstruction it could very easily take 8-12 weeks to get back. Another factor would be if they took the graft for the surgery from your other leg. In that case, it would definitely be 12 weeks or more.

SQD

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That's how long my friend's recovery is supposed to be for because she is getting both knees done. I think it's one knee done and then a few weeks later the other knee being done. The surgery is being scheduled well in advanced to coincide with the school year and to allow her to work on PT in advance that will help her recovery later.

Elisabeth
who has stolen James' ID again

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Knee replacement will vary with the person. I had one knee done and was off my feet for about 2 months and walking with a cane for several months after that because osteoarthritis was involved. Many people have both knees done at the same time, no time between. A man in my husband's fishing club had his done and was back at his desk in two weeks, but he is, I think, a phenomenon. Factors that make a difference are age, osteoarthritic involvement, patient's ability to tolerate pain and medication, rehab therapy, and, of course, the quality of the surgeon and hospital. You can easily find reasons for your character to be out for longer.

Reasons for delay would include surgeon's schedule, necessity for building up blood and giving blood for use if necessary. The same is true for heart surgery. I've had a valve replaced, and that isn't necessarily an emergency.

I won't go into all the other surgeries I've had, wink but these two I think will help.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Thanks Jude! How long were out of work for the valve surgery? Looking for about 2 months... was contemplating knee but haven't decided for sure.

Dad's shoulder was out about 2 weeks but not full use or anything [and was his left arm during the school year].

Isn't a huge detail but want to get it right...

Thanks!
Carol

J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Sorry to be so long getting back to you, Carol. I haven't been on line for a while. Recovery from valve replacement would need several months before returning to regular duties, but the patient could go back to light desk work after two months. Age, weight, and physical health other than the valve problem would be contributing factors. Hope this helps.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard