Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Can anyone tell me the name of a town near Denver that is in the mountains? Specifically, I'm looking for a town with a road that's on a mountain and is very twisty and curvy, and has guardrails. If you went through the guardrails, you'd be plummeting down a cliff face. (Like the coyote does in the Road Runner cartoons.)

Can anyone suggest a suitable location?

Thanks!

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ummm...

I've totally forgotten the names...

Read the first chapter of Learning to Love - it's Red Mountain Pass IIRC, but it's a dangerous stretch of road - Million Dollar Highway is too. Not sure what the town's names are though but they're in there...

HTH smile
Carol

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
You might try looking at Google Earth until you find a place that suits you.

Many years ago my family took a trip where we travelled around the Black Canyon area. We travelled around on a winding two-laned highway at the edge of a cliff. The highway had been opened for only a few weeks, even though it was the middle of the summer; it took that long to repair it after the previous winter. We kept seeing signs that said the left lane was closed ahead. When we got there we would see that the left lane had slid down the side of the mountain. After hours of this, we saw a sign that said the right lane was closed. We all panicked but continued driving seeing how we had no other choice. We found that the mountain had slid down under the road until the road buckled upward. At one point we looked down and saw something straight and white at the bottom. Dad admitted that was the freeway that most people took, but he wanted to show us the scenic view of beautiful Colorado. I can't find it on Google Earth, but it's possible that it either has been changed in the last twenty years or that I remember it wrong. Maybe it was state highway 92. Anyway, it's closer to Crested Butte than it is to Denver.

Elisabeth

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've got some friends in the Denver area. If you tell me exactly what kind of road, etc. you're looking for, I can email one of them and ask directly for one that would be perfect for you needs. Let me know. (Though emailing me or Private Messaging me would probably get my attention faster. wink )

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Something like this?

[Linked Image]

This pic is from this page.

I'm not sure, but I believe it's Lookout Mountain road. You can get a better view with Google Earth. A near city is Golden , a western suburb of Denver.

I hope I got this right. I've never been to the USA. frown

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Wow, great picture, UltraWoman! Thanks for responding!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
How close does it need to be to Denver? The ski resorts, which are considered close enough to run up for a day of skiing, are 55-70 miles away (an hour's drive on the interstate). If those are okay, I have several suggestions for you.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Yes, the ski resorts would be fine! Thanks for posting.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Someone traveling from Denver to Winter Park would take I-70 up into the mountains and then turn off at US 40 and go over Berthoud Pass. Winter Park is at the foot of the pass on the west side, while the turn-off from I-70 is at the foot of the east side. There's a great shot of Berthoud pass on Google Earth. At 39 deg 48' 17.45" N and 105 deg 46' 21.65" W, I clicked off the right-hand side of the road and was quickly 100 to 200 feet below the surface of the road. That's also near the start of a double hairpin. Berthoud doesn't have anything more than guardrails, either.

I found an image of part of the east side of the pass:

[Linked Image]

And here's the link to a really great shot of most of the west side leading down to Winter Park: west side of Berthoud Pass

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks again! I'm very grateful to the fine FOLC's who have spent time and effort helping me out.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard