Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Jimmy said that his father's job was with dynamite/explosives. He was really a spy for the government.

In True Lies(movie) the main star 'sells insurance' or something like that and is actually a spy.

Just how likely is it that a undercover spy really has a family? And that the family of a spy doesnt' know what he is doing?

I can understand if the family is told that he works for the government and that for the interests of National Security, he can't tell them exactly what, but to totally lie to the one you married? I find that hard to believe.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Yeah - that part I find hard to believe. Elisabeth mentioned Tom Clancy in an email recently so I'm going to guess you know who John Clark is. I tend to think more along those lines - national security - works for the government overseas in security or something but the whole insurance thing... not so much...

Carol

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I can understand if the family is told that he works for the government and that for the interests of National Security, he can't tell them exactly what, but to totally lie to the one you married? I find that hard to believe.
Well it's not that terribly hard to lie to someone you're married to and lead a double life - bigamists do it all the time. How many times have you seen a bigamy story on the news and the various 'wives' were utterly clueless? So it's certainly possible. I believe it would be easier if your profession was supposed to be something that would take you away from home on a regular basis.

Alternatively, in the UK spy drama, Spooks, the only spies married are those whose partners are spies also. In the world of Spooks, that's the only way it seems to work. In S1, a prominent plot strand dealt with the main hero trying to have a relationship with a woman and her young daughter, focusing, firstly, on the issues surrounding her being unaware of his true profession and then, later, when she was told, the problems that this knowledge caused for them. It didn't last.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
OT and just a bit PG-13, but my favorite part of Clancy's interpretation of spies was the married couple who know they're under surveillance so they make sure that their marital hobbies (that's what we're calling it these days) are over-the-top loud and entertaining. It's not my personality to ever do that, but I think that it's incredibly funny.

Elisabeth

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ah - good ole Mary Pat and... what's his name wasn't it? Or did they just make sure that her pregnancy tests were all over the place?

C

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard