Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
So here's this year's thread for Word Counts, first lines, and etc.

And since it's now 10pm local time, the sugar high kids are crashing and so is DH and I'm delaying trying to get ONE MORE chapter of OTOH finished before midnight [yes, I have enough buffer to get through Nov], so I thought I'd post this...

From Jojo's thread last year...

Originally posted by jojo_da_crow:

This thread will be used for:

*Introductions to our stories
*Word Count progress
*Desperate pleas for help and encouragement
*Fun

So lets get the ball rolling. Let's hear a little about those stories!

NaNo Name:
NaNo UserID # [from the end of your page in case the search function doesn't work again this year]:
Years Doing NaNo:
This Year's Genre:
This Year's Idea:
Novel Title:
Word Count Goal:
My response momentarily...

Carol

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Here's to no hospital stays, surgeries or kidney stones this year!

NaNo Name: CarolM
NaNo UserID # [from the end of your page in case the search function doesn't work again this year]: 200582
Years Doing NaNo: 2nd
This Year's Genre: Lois and Clark fiction
This Year's Idea: Well, I can't say since I'm still posting the first one and it's a sequel to On the Other Hand
Novel Title: Unanswered Prayers
Word Count Goal: 50,000

There we go smile .

Next?
Carol

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
/cries

Word counter doesn't seem to be working yet, but my Word file is 423 and only because I wanted to get started and get a word count tonight...

Anyone else?
Carol

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Last chance to write/update for a while today - but am at 1324...

Anyone else?!?! James - I saw you had a word count...

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ok, here's how my morning went.

At 2:17am I hear the sound of water running. Normally, this would mean that I was dreaming and just had to use the little author's room...however, when I was fully awake, I still heard the sound of water.

The water softner had supposedly cycled the night before, but sure enough it was running.

That little shot of adrenaline was just the beginning.

So, I was already up and I knew we had a load of clothes in the washer ready to be put in the dryer, so I decided to flip on the lights and put the clothes in, like the dutiful hubby that I am.

Now I am a little more awake.

I am resisting the urge to write. I am not that awake yet.

Then I really did need to use the little author's room. Did I mention that we installed enough wattage in that little room to light a normal great room?

I was fully awake, but it was only 2:34am in the morning! I quietly returned to bed.

2:45...2:50...2:55...BEEP3:00...3:17...

Ok, fine, I get up and type in my first 128 words of my NaNoWriMo. There, I did it. I can go back to bed...

3:42am...BEEP4:00..Etc...5:25am...zzzz

6:45am "Dad, when are you getting up to feed us breakfast???"

NaNo Name: Mr_d8a
NaNo UserID # : 200538
Years Doing NaNo: 2nd
This Year's Genre: LnC/SG-1 crossover fic
This Year's Idea: Clark has left Stargate after a terrible incident at Stargate Command. He's lost someone that he loves to the Go'auld. Can he find a new life and a way to forgive himself? What role will Lois Lane play in his new life.
Novel Title: New Beginnings.

First Scene:(unedited obviously)
Clark stepped onto the street. The parking garage was only about ten no five city blocka away form where his destination. The Daily Planet. His side job at the Colorado Examiner and the stings pulled by his professor got him this interview, but he know ahead of time that thether wasn’t a legitimate opening at this time.

But he had to get away,. Get away formthe pain of his old surroundings the pain of lo losing one of the few people that that matteed the most to him.

He needed a clean breabreak. A new Beginning. And he could only find it two thirds fof a contentient away.

Metropolis was hi snew home and he would do anthying to keep it that way.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Word count: 3074

About 1500 while at the Obama rally [I was working concessions for my sister and in the money room so lots of down time].

Carol

Top Banana
Top Banana
For those of you who used my calculator last year:

http://www.noated.net/~jojo/nanowrimo_report_card_2008.xls

Right click and "save as"

It isn't MY calculator but I have redone the formulas for this year since it was made for 2005.

smile I filled in my totals for the first day so you guys could see what it should look like.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, great report card. Much better than the one I created.

Thanks!

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I woke up with a horrified shock at 8:29 am yesterday, threw on some clothes and raced to the college to teach my 9 am class. After class, which finished at noon, I met my daughter at the mall for our walk, and we put in 3 1/4 miles. By the time I picked up a few groceries and got home, it was 3 pm, and I hadn't logged one word.

Nor had I done the dishes, and my husband was going to be cooking, so cleaning up the kitchen took priority. When I finally sat down at the computer, it seemed like he was calling me every fifteen minutes to help him in the kitchen, which included cleaning up the mess from his trying to puree boiling hot soup in the blender. By the time dinner was over, I'd written all of 350 words.

Then I went to look at the notes I'd prepared and realized I'd written a scene for my prologue that I wasn't even planning to include in the book. Frustrated, I got on IRC for my normal Saturday night appointment and watched FTASV, told everyone goodbye, and got back to work.

Slow going, and I wasn't using any of my hurry-up writing techniques. But when I finished three hours later, I had 1010 words, which I couldn't enter on the website because I couldn't get it to open.

Ah, well, a slow start, but I plan to do much better from here on. Since this is NaNo, I shouldn't be cutting what I've written, which is what I did yesterday (took out that wrong scene), but it takes me a few days to get out of that "edit as you go" mental mode.

NaNo Name: sheilah
NaNo UserID #: 228856
Years Doing NaNo: 2007 and 2008
This Year's Genre: Speculative fic
This Year's Idea: Aided by Lindsey Walker, a female private investigator, orphaned Caleb Pries goes on a quest to find his people, presumably the source of his strange abilities, while trying to elude the government agents who think he is a threat to national security.
Novel Title: The Foundling
Word Count Goal: 90,000, but I'm only counting my new writing this year for NaNo, so what I keep of last year's attempt won't count.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm glad to see that y'all are writing with us again this year. The nano page has been spotty for me lately so I haven't seen word counts since midnight, but I did note that many of you had posted. I'm glad to see that you're writing as well, Sheila. I was hoping that you were when I checked my "buddies" page.

(Are Lara Moon, SmileyD, and Catherine Bruce writing this year?)

I had a party rescheduled, so I worked all morning and afternoon and hayrided and bonfired all evening. I only got in about 30 minutes writing while James drove and another hour writing while I was half brain dead asleep.

I got in 724 words yesterday and another 400 so far this afternoon. I know that's chump change, but I'm having a tough time getting in the mood this year. Last year was so tough emotionally that I'm still carrying around some stuff that I need to leave behind.

Many thanks to Carol and James for weighing in on which plot I should do. As you can see below, your opinion mattered to me.

NaNo Name: Elisabeth_queen_of_D8aland
NaNo UserID #: 206936
Years Doing NaNo: This is my 2nd
This Year's Genre: Lois and Clark/Lois and Clark crossover (Just like I did last year)
This Year's Idea: Mindy Church decides to get Lois and Clark out of the way while she takes over Intergang.
Novel Title: Indisposed
Word Count Goal: 50K

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
/jumps up and down clapping!

Yay Elisabeth!!!!

I'm trying to get a huge jump by Tuesday because we'll be out of town the end of the week and have at least 3 holiday things this month.

I contemplated jumping universes, but ended up staying in the OTOH universe and so far I'm glad I did. I know where OTOH ends, but I'm not entirely certain the path they take to get there and since this picks up - literally at the moment - minutes after after where I plan on OTOH ending, I can kind of see what happened. Of course, the silly OTOH characters could surprise me when I get back to it and screw it all up...

Carol

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Thanks for the spreadsheet, Jojo. It's great to see what when my predicted dates and times are (although I'm pretty sure that the program doesn't want me to succeed because it tells me that I need to write 1674 words a day to still make it and then says that my goal for tomorrow is only 1617 words. The Benedict Arnold!)

Elisabeth
3103 words--still behind, but doable

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
YAY ELISABETH!

I've had a productive weekend which is good since I'm losing at least 6 days to other stuff...

Current word count: 7469

Carol

Columnist
Columnist
Glad to see others doing it!

NaNo Name: capefetish
NaNo UserID #: 200302
Years Doing NaNo: 1st
This Year's Genre: LnC fanfic
This Year's Idea: Clark starts coming into his powers after he starts working at the Planet.
Novel Title: untitled so far

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Yay Jessi! Added you as a buddy smile .

Turns out I have a bit more time to write tonight...

Anyone care to share the first line of their novel?

[besides James who already did wink ]

Mine: It had been an amazing night.

Carol

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Up to 1737 words now, but I've got to get to bed. Too much time spent googling fic questions.

First line? Here's the prologue, set 32 years ago: Carl Fiske stopped and pushed the switch on the flashlight off and on again as he peered into the darkness ahead of them.

And here's chapter one, set in present day: Drifting in the dark . . . until a wave of nausea rolled over him and he came fully awake. Caleb Pries took deep breaths, trying to control his roiling stomach.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Columnist
Columnist
I added you, too, Carol!

First line? It's all still pretty rough, but for now it's:

For the first time in Clark Kent's life, his mother's cooking wasn't fixing his problems.

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
FRESH MEAT!!!!!

Errr... I meant to say, I'm glad you decided to join us, Jessie. I like your unique concept for a novel. Your first line was cute too.

No writing so far today, but it's still during school hours. I organized a write-in tonight so maybe I'll pump out some words.

First line? It was impossible to find good parking on the West End during working hours, so Lois parked directly behind the coroner’s vehicle.

By the way, in case we haven't mentioned before you visit your buddies by typing in http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/###### (with the number signs replaced by their six digit user number)

Elisabeth

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Thanks for mentioning that Elisabeth smile .

The message from Chris Baty today said that the search function will be turned back on soon - since Nov. 1/2 are 400% busier than the rest of the time.

Parking behind the coroner's van? Interesting given what I know about the plot... wink .

Current word count: 9884
Chapters finished: 4

[ballpark word count for chapters - 2300-2800]
Hope to get another chapter done today. Part of it is that the... main plot of UP hasn't started yet and I'm not sure how much I need to write before it does. I know what *day* it starts - after what event - but how much of the in between time do I want to show, you know? Part of me HATES writing non-linearly but I also want to get to the meat of UP because there's some fun stuff there... Not that the stuff before it isn't fun but that stuff is really fun at times...

Back to it for a few minutes before lunch time...

Carol

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Current word count: 15001
Chapters finished: 6

This is probably about it until Saturday. Tomorrow is work, preschool dropoff, walmart, post 48/49, preschool pickup, vote, dinner, pack, pack van, pack coolers and backpacks, sleep in time to be up and on the road by 6am Wed... Not seeing much time for writing in there... And laundry and finishing putting up clothes... /sigh/

15k was my goal by tomorrow since I'm probably losing 6-7 days total this month with the trip and holidays so that's a good thing. And I have no desire to do the 25K words in the last two days thing this year either...

Anyone else's update?
Carol

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard