Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Howdy FOLCs,

I'm looking for an endearment or exchange that Lois might remember from her childhood and might use with her own child. Something along the lines of "I love you a million Swedish fish." "I love you a million red M&M's" from "What a Girl Wants." I'm looking for something that would be unique, not as common as "punkin" or "princess." Anyone got anything good from their own childhood that they'd be willing to loan me? Thanks!

This *is* my happily ever after.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
My grandmother used to tell me she "loved me a bushel and a peck". It's from an old Doris Day song ("I love you a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck"), and everytime I hear it, I can still hear my grandmother's voice in my ear.

(I only hear it now as I discovered it a few years ago, right after my grandmother died (I hadn't known it was a Doris Day song before that), so immediately bought it for my ipod.)

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
One of my daughters and I play that game

I love you more than all the stars

I love you more than all the grass

I love you more than all the trees

I love you more than all the rocks

I love you more than all the humans

and on and on...

Carol

Top Banana
Top Banana
When I was little I had a random tendency to ask my mom and grandmother if they loved me, every few days... My grandma always said yes, of course, etc. My mom eventually took to replying, "Nope, can't stand you!" which made me laugh, and, of course really meant yes. wink

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, everyone. I'm thinking maybe the "bushel and a peck" could work. The reply could be "I love you a barrel and a heap."

I've got a story probably 80% done, but I keep putting off posting the first parts because I write in spurts as real life gives me time. So, there could be quite a real time gap between the first 80% and the last 20 :-)

Michelle

This *is* my happily ever after.
Columnist
Columnist
When my mother put me to bed she always said sweet dreams. Then once when I was in my teens and I had gone to her room to say goodnight she forgot to say it and I had trouble going to sleep. She always said it so I figured she was mad at me and I didn't know it. I asked her about it the next day and she said no she wasn't mad, that she didn't know why she didn't say and that I should have said something right then. To me sweet dreams was part of her saying she loved me when she put me to bed.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My mom used to say, "I love you better than a cat loves cream."

And my dad always called me his baby girl right up until the day before he died (and I was an adult).

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
My kids and I play the game "I love you more than..." too. Sometimes we love each other more than icky stuff like bugs or worms. Sometimes we love each other more than great stuff like ice cream or music.

My youngest was 22 months before she started sleeping through the night (the medical diagnosis means five hours in a row). I always told her "I love you more than sleep." It was a commitment, even if my heart didn't always agree.

Sometimes we default to "I love you as high as the sky. I love you as deep as the ocean."

I like creative nicknames. My oldest girl is Doodle. My middle girl is T. My youngest has more normal nicknames. I had a friend who called her son Muffinbutt (she said it toughtened him up to have to deal with embarassing moms).

Elisabeth

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
My parents call me The Mug, short for Mugwump. I have no idea where the heck it came from, but it's stuck ;p My dad also likes to call me Starshine.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
my parents always called us after animals... or other words that rhymed with our names

I was always the Hyena
n brother #3was always the Kangaroo or Roo,
(a Joey is a baby roo)

what else...

Sis #1= Soapy
and Bro # 4= Yankee doodle (when He was a baby except it wasn't this exactly but something that rhymed with this)

made-up dinosaur names to do with our characters
Grumposaurus was one that I got called when I was in a bad mood

and because all of our names are basically Anglicised versions of various Polish and Greek ancestor's, we also got called the original names such as Helenka, or Zozia (Sophie in Polish, also called Sophia) or Josephus....

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
When I was a kid I used spread my arms and say that I loved my mother that big, now that I’m an adult, I tell her that I love her from here to Pluto than back, plus the universe five times. I always come up with crazy numbers, and stuff.

When I spent my vacations at my grandma’s farm, we had this little ritual that I miss until this day. At night after I took a bath I’d lay down at bed with her while grandpa watched TV, and we would do crosswords together, she would ask me only the easy ones.

Then she took me to my bedroom and we would pray to God and thank him for our days, she would tuck me in and say she loved me more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow. Not those exact words, because she would say it in Portuguese, but that was what it meant.

And when I’d wake up, she would give me milk chocolate for breakfast, then she would put little pieces of bread in it so I could eat. We called it scuba diving. It was so fun, and those were moments I only cherished with grandma.

Every time I see her I say I love her more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow. sloppy

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
We were going through our routine yesterday I realized I only had included the first half.

The routine is, "I love you as high as the sky. I love you as deep as the ocean. I love you this wide." And I stretch out my arms and the kids rush in for a hug. (Where's the emoticon that shows a mommy melting?)

Elisabeth

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard