Next Thread
Print Thread
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Am looking for the name of a CD and my music knowledge is beyond pathetic once you get past a very few artists.

She's 18, it's early 2004 on a road trip. I'm playing fast and loose with release dates at times, so I'm not terribly worried about that - it could be more recent than 04 and that could work.

Requirements wink :
Not country [I know country - ish, and I've already used some]
Not anything like gangsta rap or whatever

Thoughts?
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Do you mean you're looking for a specific artist, or you want some suggestions for who it could be?

Avril Lavigne is the right kind of age. Alicia Keys, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera would be in their early 20s (23, 24) in 2004, as would Christina Milian and Natasha Bedingfield. Alison Sudol (A Fine Frenzy) was born in 1984, but her début album wasn't released until 2007. Kelly Clarkson was born in 1982 and her début album was in 2003.

Any of these any good?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Maybe wink .

As I said, I'm completely clueless about most music - just not my thing.

I'm looking for something up beat on a road trip without a lot of sappy love songs [either slow ballads or otherwise].

Personally... I've not got a clue.

As for release dates and such... I'm not too worried about it. For instance... 'Life is a Highway' [the Rascal Flatts, 'Cars' Version] was released in 2006, but it's been played on this particular car trip already and it's only early 04 smile . So really anything through present day would work and I could just adjust the release dates, but other than that, I've not got a clue. Seriously. I know most of those names, but that's about it wink .

Even a good upbeat soundtrack would work...

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, some of the non-rap we listened to in college (which coincidentally was in the 2000s). I marked the recent album dates I knew for sure...

Sublime
Dave Matthews
Scissor Sisters (04)
Bon Jovi
AC/DC
The Fray
Kelly Clarkson (0something)
Counting Crows
The Eagles
Sister Hazel (they came to town at least twice)
Hinder
Anna Nalick (04?)
Alanis Morissette (04)
Bowling For Soup (0something)
Cake
Coldplay
Liz Phair (03)
Madonna (05)
Maroon 5 (02)
John Mayer (04 concert)
Rob Thomas (05)

JD
ETA: I just saw you mention soundtracks. We played my RENT CD until it died. I think that was 05...

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
If your character is listening to any jazz, especially vocal jazz, you might toss in The Manhattan Transfer. They've been doing it since the mid-70's, and they're always a great choice.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh! I just realised that I was completely confused by your question, Carol! I thought you wanted music by someone who was 18 in 2004! You probably wondered why I was listing all these artists' birth-dates!

In that case, your 18-year-old would very likely be listening to Cristina Aguilera, Avril Lavigne, Beyonce or someone in that general category of artist. All generally upbeat, though Lavigne was also into teen angst in her music, and hitting the top ten in the pop music charts.

Wendy smile dizzy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Columnist
Columnist
Well, I was 17 in 2004, so maybe I can be of some help. Some of my favorite driving/road trip music that came out around/before then was by:

OK Go
Jason Mraz
Barenaked Ladies
Gin Blossoms
Jack Johnson
Buckcherry (they're pretty... um... crude. So watch out if you're looking up lyrics :p )

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard