Next Thread
Print Thread
#160179 08/30/08 03:42 PM
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
A question for a story I'm thinking of; I'm hoping some of you can help!

If someone went to the police and said, "Such-and-such-person did such-and-such-crime to me" (rape, for example, or something more nebulous like holding them against their will) - realistically , how would the police handle it? Would they go arrest the person based only on the alleged victim's word? Would they just interview the person for an alibi and look for other evidence to substantiate the victim's claim? Any ideas or thoughts on this would be appreciated!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#160180 08/30/08 06:45 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Not being a cop - the police need evidence before they can make an arrest - in the case of a rape, the victim will be examined, even though an examination may not be able to prove a rape occurred.

On the other hand, the police will look into the matter, interview people who may have information. The statement of one person may not be enough to bring a case, but if that person was missing for several days, knew things about a property that could be confirmed, if there was physical evidence at the location.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#160181 09/01/08 04:27 AM
Kerth
Kerth
CSI etc. have shown the approximate procedure for rape cases several times - medical examination combined with a swab test for sperm, and if it's found DNA typing of the sperm.

Someone claiming to have been kept prisoner would need to describe the circumstances, anything the police might find that would corroborate the story, etc. - for example, if you had been kept in a small room for several days there would probably be all sorts of forensic evidence around such as traces of epithelial cells, hair, saliva etc. If you'd been physically assaulted there might also be blood etc., and there might be e.g. rope or handcuff marks on your arms etc.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#160182 09/02/08 01:53 AM
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
Thank you, Dandello and Marcus!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#160183 09/02/08 07:34 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
As long as the police can obtain probable cause, they can arrest somebody.

"Probable cause" is a stronger standard of evidence than a reasonable suspicion, but weaker than what is required to secure a criminal conviction. Even hearsay can supply probable cause if it is from a reliable source or is supported by other evidence, according to the Aguilar-Spinelli test.
Arresting somebody does not necessarily have anything to do with convicting them of a crime, or holding them indefinitely.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
#160184 09/02/08 03:14 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
It would also depend on where this alleged offense took place. What country? What state? What city? "Probable cause" in New York City may not be "probable cause" in Dallas and vice-versa. While rape in the US is a violation of state law, kidnapping is a Federal offense. So you'd need to know what agency would handle the investigation. And, as others have already mentioned, is there any physical evidence to corroborate the alleged victim's statement? The more physical evidence, the more likely the local standard of "probable cause" can be met.

This could really go any way you want it to go. And while DNA is a powerful tool in convincing a jury or prosecutor of the guilt or innocence of a suspect, in real life the tests take so long to complete that they're rarely used in the beginning of an investigation, but rather as supporting evidence. CSI and "Bones" and shows like them are idealized presentations of investigations and don't reflect the actual workload or even the work flow of the majority of criminal investigations. A better (but not perfect) TV model might be "Law and Order TOS" (The Original Series), or even "The Closer," although the latter deals with high-profile cases where a large team of investigators attack a single murder case at a time. Real-life cops don't have that luxury.

Doing a "rape kit" exam on an alleged victim, however, would at least establish whether or not the victim was assaulted, even if enough time has passed that the assailant's DNA has been processed out of the victim's system. There would be tell-tale bruising, damaged tissues, patterns of restraint, etc. to indicate something bad had happened.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#160185 09/04/08 06:50 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
To answer the orginal question: In my experience, the police often charge people based solely on another person's word.

If you want to hear a horror story or two, send me an email and... be prepared to have it change your view forever of the criminal justice system laugh .

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard