Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay guys, NaNoWriMo is A month an a half away!

I know some of you are thinking… Jojo it’s month and a half away. Your nuts for starting this thread this soon!

Well I like to think I’m a little nutty.

But no listen! Listen! This is the PERFECT time to start thinking about participating in the event this year. Many authors who finish their stories in November spend the months before preparing and outlining their stories.

There are two approaches to this challenge:

1.No plot and little to no preparation. You just sit down and see what flows out from that brilliant mind of yours.
2.In the months before hand you think of your plot. You outline the story (with out writing anything) and you prepare character sheets.

So for those of you who are going to be planning ahead now is the time to start rolling those wonderful plots around in your head.

Last year we had a lot of participants and a couple of awesome fanfics added to the archive! I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with this year!

So who is thinking about joining us?

EDIT: You don't have to write a LnC fic to join in on the fun. It doesn't matter if it is original or for another fandom. Join us!

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
/waves enthusiastically

Was just wondering last night if you were going to start a thread this year!

And such timing! I FINALLY posted the end of last year's Nano fic today!

This year's has already been sort of half sketched out [thanks Beth!]. It's the sequel to my next big posting [On The Other Hand] so I really need to finish that before Nano starts.

I still wish I hadn't started *that one* [you know which one I'm talking about JoJo wink ] so that it could be a Nano fic, but ah well. It's first on the list for after Nano because there's no way I'll get to it before.

And this year, I have no plans to spend nearly half the month in the hospital with a baby smile .

Carol

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm glad your thinking about joinning again this year Carol. smile

I hope others are as well, even if it isn't a LnC story. I know that mine probably won't be. thumbsup

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm planning to join, too, JoJo. The novel I worked on last year was done without any plot planned out ahead of time and without the necessary plot-changing research done beforehand, and as a result, it went nowhere. Cause-and-effect storylines like mysteries or certain action-adventures need pre-planning. All that I really did was work out the characters, but not their story.

Anyway, I'd like to work on that novel and see if I can redo it and finish it this time.

BTW, one of my friends here in Colorado did NaNo last year. She started with a book on which she'd written about 18,000 words and then just wrote another 50,000 or 60,000 words to finish it since it was going to be an 80,000 word novel. So she only counted the words she wrote during NaNoWriMo. It was great motivation for her to finish the book.

I figure I can do something like that if I decide to use any of what I wrote last year--just not turn that part in for the word count. After all, I'm writing this with an eye to eventual publication, so it needs to be about 80-90,000 words, not 50,000.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, I am SO in. smile W00t! I love NaNo.

I was jut saying a few days ago how I need to find something to write about. If not an actual plot bunny, then at least maybe I ought to pick a pairing. hehe! wink

Someone suggested I try a fairy tale, but I'm not sure I can pull of 50,000 words of it. /ponders. I could turn Clark into the Ice King in one, though - I have an idea for something where there's this king who lives in a palace made of ice. *giggles*

@ Carol -- YAY for being done posting (and in the middle of everything you got going no less... go you!) I'll be looking forward to reading the whole thing once you send it up to the archive (unless..you know..you have it in a Word document and you want to send it over. I offer candies -- I mean, uh, feedback -- to people who send me Word docs. *giggles*)

:waves at Sheila: -- finishing a project sounds like a really good idea to do for NaNo, I agree. And I'm glad to see you're considering joining in again. laugh (also, very OT, but I sent you an email days ago - however, my email provider was having a heck of a lot of issues maintaining proper service, so I'm not sure you got it at all... it wasn't a big deal, but I kind of wonder about it anyway.)

And, to everyone else: I'm totally looking forward to adding more FoLCs on my writing buddies list this year, so .... join in! You know you wanna!!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Lara - I have it in an .rtf file... wink

Am about 15% done with the final edit before sending it to Labby...

And I most decidedly did *not* write something resembling dialog for one of the scenes for this year's Nano in chat to Beth the other night. Seriously. Ask her. It's so stinking rough I may not even look at it when the time comes. But it was fun anyway wink .

Carol

Features Writer
Features Writer
Someone suggested I try a fairy tale
You just sparked something (possibly-probably nothing but one never knows...). I remember trying to give a spin off the Princess and the Garbanzo ( I know of all the lame fairy tales... lol , but if you can hottify a story that involves being "ow" over sleeping on a bean... ) ages ago, but nothing came of it even though I remember penning quite a bit. I have wanted to write something original for a bit.

Hmmm. I'll be done with purgatory in the coming weeks...and I'm familiar with the class I'm teaching already...

*ponders some more* smile

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Features Writer
Features Writer
<coughs> I, uh, may have some interest this year. Should be interesting since I am going on vacation for four days at the end of November.

Some people go to Vegas, get drunk and get laid. I apparently will be going to Vegas, getting drunk and ... writing fic? Seems a little off. But hey, it's for the greater good. wink

I am debating whether to do original fic, or L&C. I think it would be easier to do L&C, probably, but I'll have to some thinking about a plotline that would work. I have something I started last year and stopped, and I may scratch and start it all over from the beginning. But the same idea also could work as original fic. Hmm. Glad I have some time to think.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lara - I have it in an .rtf file... wink
/waves hand above the computer à la Jedi-mind-trick.

"any file type will do..."

wink

You just sparked something (possibly-probably nothing but one never knows...).
Weeeee!! smile That's excellent! /dances!

And YAY Jenn! laugh I'm so glad you're thinking of doing it! You'll love it, I'm sure!!

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Check your inbox, Lara wink .

Carol [who goes back to editing said behemouth...]

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lara, I didn't get any email from you. (/me checks junk mail folder--nope, not there.) Try again. I'm at sharper93@msn.com

Oh, and it sounds like we might have a good group like last year. That was so helpful for me trying to make my daily word counts.

Sheila Harper

Columnist
Columnist
And I most decidedly did *not* write something resembling dialog for one of the scenes for this year's Nano in chat to Beth the other night. Seriously. Ask her.
Nope. It was brainstorming. Very detailed brainstorming, but brainstorming regardless.

This sounds like so much fun... I really wish I could participate, but I have to keep myself out of it for the same reasons as last year. November is right in the middle of paper/midterm season, and it would be academic suicide to even try this.

But I will be a cheerleader! I hope everything goes well for those of you who are participating.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I might try again this year, but with some actual planning first.

We'll have to see how busy I am come November (first year teaching in my own class!)

Desiree

Don't think about the pink elephant... I dare you!

Thanks to Tineke for the avatar
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by Beth S.:
]Nope. It was brainstorming. Very detailed brainstorming, but brainstorming regardless.
*nods seriously* Yep. That's all it was.

Twas fun though.

It even has a title and everything already smile .

But it was fun and I can't wait to write it for real.

Carol

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Just a little bump. smile

I thought I would share one of Chris Baty's emails. Just because... I want to have his babies. *rips her bra off and throws it and Chris Baty's head*

Here is his encouragement email from week one of 2006:

Dear Author,

Greetings! My name is Chris Baty, and I'm the director of National Novel Writing Month. Welcome to this year's noveling extravaganza! It's great to have you writing with us.

As impossible as it may seem standing here on the precipice overlooking a vast November, NaNoWriMo will be over before you know it. This month---like the book you started writing today---moves at a frightful pace. To help give you a heads-up on some of the spirit-lifting milestones and spleen-poking hazards we'll be flying past on our way to 50K, I'll be sending an email like this one to you every Wednesday of the month.

Which brings me neatly to the subject at hand: Week One.

Ah, sweet Week One.
Whether you're a first-timer or a NaNoWriMo veteran, Week One is epic. We step onto its stage clutching a few crumpled lines of dialogue, and bearing only the haziest notions of setting and story. And, when the curtain closes on the seventh day, we're improbably directing a strange and wonderful cast of characters, all of them eager to make their mark on the tale unfolding around them.
The keys to thriving in Week One are straightforward:

1) Surge early. To be on par for the month, you should be writing 1667 words per day. In Week One, try to get 2000 or 2500 a day, and beg, borrow, and steal as much of the first weekend as possible to write. You won't need to keep up this pace throughout the month, but nothing guarantees a NaNoWriMo victory (and a fun month) like opening up a hefty lead in the first week.

2) Know that you're not doing any of this alone. As you dive into your book, 70,000 other souls are going through the same ups and downs of the Great Sleep-Deprived Novel. Whenever you're feeling like hurling your laptop out the window or setting fire to your favorite noveling notebook, come to a local write-in or stop by the NaNoWriMo forums for encouragement and reassurance. Likewise, whe never you've had a ferociously productive writing day, celebrate by sending a pep talk or sports car or box of fantastically expensive Swiss chocolates to a writer in distress.

3) Embrace the fear. It's okay to be nervous. Nervous just means you're pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone---which is when great and magical things happen. Even if you have a complete story outline to serve as a map for the month, it's still terrifying to be stepping out into the frontier of your imagination. I blame this on a lifetime of exposure to the perplexing idea that art should be made by artists, and novels left to novelists.

As someone who has done NaNoWriMo for eight years now, I can tell you this: Novels are not written by novelists. Novels are written by everyday people who give themselves permission to write novels. Whatever your writing experience, you have a book in you that only you can write. And November is a beautiful month to get it written.

Have a great first week, everyone! I'll be writing like crazy until Wednesday the 8th, when I'll drop by your inbox again with some thoughts about the spleen-tastic adventures awaiting us in Week Two.

Write on!

Chris
NaNoWriMo

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Guess what I got in my inbox overnight?

An email from Chris Baty wink .

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm playing it safe this year and going for a fanfic. Nothing guarantees failure like creating a new universe. I know God did it in only 7 days, but he had a SLIGHTLY bigger advantage...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I got Chris's email overnight, too. and OMGosh! I still haven't finished editing the fanfic I've been working on for nearly a year, which I promised myself I would finish before I started working on my novel outline.

(/me hurries away, singing, "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date...")

Sheila Harper

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yeah getting his first email is what made me think of the old ones I still have stored in gmail. thumbsup

I'll probably share more of them as time goes on. ^__^

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I thought I would share one of Chris Baty's emails. Just because... I want to have his babies. *rips her bra off and throws it and Chris Baty's head*
rotflol Ah, Jojo... this is why I love you so. *giggles madly*

I'm so excited about NaNo!!! And I get to spend the 1st week of it ON VACATION!! ....and IN ALASKA!!! SQUEE!!

ahem... ok. Calming down, now. (:whispers: I'd better calm down, cause I have not decided what I'm writing yet...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard