#159512 06/21/08 02:30 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Over in one of the feedback threads, TOC posted:

Anyway, I *finally* made some progress on LtL yesterday and I've *finally* decided about a snippet of conversation in this chapter. I've cut it out. Labby said she'd allow it on the archive but only because of precedent set in Becky Bain's In A Dark Time - but that she wouldn't allow the text in question there if it was submitted now either.
This bothers me. The Archive has become more G-rated than before, more extremely touchy about anything that smacks the slightest bit of sex. Becky Bain's story was allowed there before, but it wouldn't have been uploaded now. Why must the Archive have such über-strict standards? And why the change?
Okaaaay...

First of all, Ann, I'm somewhat dubious of where you find the evidence for that first charge you make. I am NOT aware that the PG13 policy on the Archive has shifted in recent years. AS EIC, I've certainly made no recent changes in how I determine where the line lies - I'm working to the same set of rules I was handed when I took on the job. Just as I've always done.

In fact, I find your accusation quite ironic. I remember a few months after I became EIC I was accused by two FoLCs on Zoomway's forum of shifting the line way too far in the liberal direction. Since my taking over the job, apparently, the Archive had become the land of Sodom and Gommora overnight.

I hadn't made any shift then, either. goofy

In fact, it's extremely rare that the subject of PG13 comes up for me as EIC of the Archive. I perhaps get an email on the subject from an author or GE once in a blue moon. Otherwise, I rely on the GEs to keep to the line as laid out in the guidelines posted on the Archive and I'm not aware that any of them have magically and abruptly shifted their opinions on where the line lies either.

The Archive may well have strict standards when compared to other fandoms out there. I wouldn't dispute that. However, that has always been the case. The history of FoLCdom has shaped those rules and they apply today as they always have done. Back in the day, it was FoLCs themselves who were strict about the subject. Hoo boy, were they strict. Way, way too strict in my own, personal, opinion. Then, it was brought up almost on a daily basis - mostly by those whose definition of nfic was way tighter than anything currently applying. Then you couldn't even mention the word nfic without provoking a fight, let alone post anything that might cross the line. And authors who actually wrote nfic were considered sadly misguided sinners who needed to be brought back into the light.

I do believe it IS true to say that there has been a recent shift in FoLCdom on PG13. But it lies here on these mbs, not on the Archive, Ann. The criteria for PG13 has always been the same on the ms and the Archive. But within the last year or two, things have become much looser here on the mbs as we've had a large influx of new members who aren't so hung up on the subject as in the past and who are much looser about where the line lies.

It may be that this growing gap in perception between the two as to where the PG13 line lies is why you think there's been a shift in Archive policy. It should be noted, however, that until and unless the admins of this forum decide to change the rules, the guidelines and rules for PG13 as listed on the Archive are also the rules and guidelines which govern this forum.

Carol, you don't do nfic and you wrote something that you would never have considered nfic, but you were told it was. I'm sorry the Archive must be so juvenile when it comes to anything sex-related - I guess that if you are going to upload a story where Lois and Clark have a baby together and you want to explain where the baby comes from, it must either be delivered by a spaceship or a stork?
<sigh> I consider that first remark to be a personal flame, Ann. You may have cited the Archive, but as it's non-sentient it can't possibly be juvenile. It holds therefore that what you actually mean is the EIC is juvenile.

I hardly think that I can be considered a prude or obsessively dedicated to eradicating all things sex-related like some rabid Mary Whitehouse. dizzy Not with the amount of nfic I've posted on the fandom. wink Actually, on a personal level, I'm probably much more liberal on the topic than I have to be in my persona as Archive EIC. Believe me, I don't take any great pleasure from telling an author they have to delete text and as an author who has had to convert nfic stories to PG13 myself I know how difficult it can be to do. When it becomes necessary, I believe I'm more than fair and keen to help the author delete as little as possible and I don't think Carol can complain otherwise.

But, as EIC it's my responsibility to apply the current rules. You may find the line as it currently stands ridiculous, but I can assure you that many others will complain that it is way too liberal. As EIC, I have the difficult task of charting a course that will, hopefully, satisfy both camps, most of the time. This I do to the best of my ability and I deeply resent being called juvenile for doing it.

As someone more at the sharp end of conflicting opinion on the subject than most, trust me when I say that I'm perfectly aware that the line between PG13 and nfic is often arbitrary. It is impossible to sit down and say firmly and absolutely - as far as here and no further. Any guidelines posted on the Archive can only BE guidelines, nothing more than that.

As such, it is simply a fact of life that where the line definitively lies will come down in the end to the judgement of the EIC currently in charge of the Archive. I am absolutely sure that, although generally in tune, the previous EIC, Kathy, would not have made the same rulings I have. She'd have let things in that I wouldn't and vice versa. And I'm equally sure that the EIC to come after me will not see the line exactly where I do either. Until we get a definitive definition, that's just going to be how it works, unfortunately. Being human, we have to work it out as best we can and that's about all anyone can reasonably expect of us. It's certainly true to say that on the odd occasion that it comes up as an issue it's definitely by far the most difficult part of being an EIC.

Believe me, over the years a purely definitive line would have made my life a heck of a lot easier. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that we have a separate nfic archive run by Annette, I'd be more than happy to just lump everything into the Archive and just make sure it's properly and clearly listed as nfic or not.

However, so long as I AM the EIC of the Archive, the rules that have always applied for PG13 will continue to apply. The fact that the Archive doesn't accept nfic is clearly stated in our submission rules. Like any organisation or forum, we expect them to be adhered to when a story is submitted.

With regard to the specifics of this issue, I do not believe that there can be much argument that two characters discussing the act of masturbation currently lies firmly in the land of nfic, according to the guidelines listed on the Archive. No matter how much some members of this forum may disagree, this one isn't even close to being on the border, I'm afraid. Unless the guidelines/rules change, it will always be a taboo topic.

Having said that, it needs to be remembered that the current guidelines date back to the inception of the Archive. That's a lot of years now and, of course, what you can see and hear on TV now is a lot more liberal than it was then.

I guess it comes down to whether you believe the guidelines should be based on current TV or whether it should be based on what would have been acceptable on LNC itself. FoLCs have always held strong views on both points - much of the reasoning for the guidelines came from the fact that a large majority of FoLCs believed at the time that the Superman myth was so family orientated and so morally pure that anything over PG13 would sully it.

Clearly, it's certainly true to say that FoLCdom has become much more liberal in the last ten years than it previously was. Whether that and a changing world are enough reasons to change something that, on the whole, has worked fairly well for the fandom, is perhaps a subject for debate. But so long as the current guidelines are in force then I will, as the current EIC, continue to apply them as I'm obliged to do.

If you are in any doubt about where the line lies, I'm more than happy to advise you. Just drop me an email.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, small correction to my previous post:

Ann wrote:

Becky Bain's story was allowed there before, but it wouldn't have been uploaded now.
I re-read Carol's author's note:

Labby said she'd allow it on the archive but only because of precedent set in Becky Bain's In A Dark Time - but that she wouldn't allow the text in question there if it was submitted now either.
and I've realised that the way that it's worded seems to have muddied the waters on the issue, because it's become clear that it was the basis for your comment, Ann. Which isn't that surprising as it does clearly imply that there's been a shift of policy. But that's only because it is half my email comment, and not the whole of it. laugh

To clarify then. I did say in my email to Carol that if Becky presented her story with that text to me now I'd consider it nfic, just like the text in Carol's story - the two are fairly similar as Carol pointed out. But I added that I would have no doubt considered it nfic at the time it was uploaded, too, if I'd realised it was there.

The omission of that second point in Carol's note - which was unintentional I have absolutely no doubt - has clearly given the impression that my opinion on Becky's text has shifted between the story being uploaded and now, whereas, in actuality, nothing is further from the truth. My opinion would have been the same then and now.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Labrat

In comment to all this I have to say I've read stories classied as PG13 that I would consider Nfic. I've also read stories classified as Nfic that I couldn't figure out why they received that classification. Would I call anyone a name or get in a furor over this. NO. Labrat and all the other editors here have a hard job. They do their best and we should all be thankful for the job they do.

So Labrat:

T H A N K Y O U. hail

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I didn't mean to start some big debate and I certainly didn't mean to misrepresent you, Labby, but you know that. I shouldn't have said anything about it and just apologized for the delay in posting *sigh*. I hate being the cause of things remotely controversial - unintentionally or otherwise.

And actually, the thought that I worded that poorly did occur to me but then kids and such took over and I forgot about it.

If DS will cooperate long enough, I'll go fix it but I'm not hopeful at the moment wink .

I didn't mean to imply that Labby would have allowed Becky's [and therefore, mine] then but not either one now. And Labby - were you even EIC then? I think Kathy still was at that point, but that's not the point. The standards haven't changed, but for some reason IADT made it through when it shouldn't have. Because of that precedent, Labby would allow mine today.

All that said, I think the convo I cut did add to the development of their relationship but it's not worth making nfic over as it would be the only thing that made it nfic. In all honesty, if I hadn't reread IADT, it probably never would have been written. And IMO, IADT was much more... explicit [and I hesitate to use that term because while obvious what Becky was talking about, the fact that it should have been in nfic never occurred to me and I'm pretty nfic sensitive] than the conversation, but that's okay. Rules are rules and I gladly abide by them. I was genuinely curious when I asked Labby why this wouldn't be allowed but IADT had been and she said, IHO, it shouldn't have been allowed 7 years ago. That explains it to me just fine and the fact she would allow it based on precedent not rules made me sufficiently uncomfortable with posting it as PG13 and won't post it at all. It's really not a big deal - I made it into more of one in my own mind than it should have been and I didn't mean to make it into one here.

I think I was going to say something else but DS is crying and the phone has rung 4 times and DD6 apologized for 'hating' me and I chatted with her for a few minutes and I don't remember what it was, so my headache and I are going to go take some medicine and hope that I didn't stir things up even more here.

Carol [who would also like to declare that Labby rocks and will try to get her something finished enough for the archive soon because this behemouth will be a while]

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The one thing I'm going to add to LabRat's absolutely excellent post on Archive policy and her role as EIC is to emphasise that, as EIC, she does have to rely on her team of General Editors.

As a former general editor, who served in that capacity for around six or seven years, I can tell you that we have to exercise a lot of judgement when editing stories. There is no definitive line; there is precedent and there is opinion. When editing a story, I would have to use my judgement, try to compare with stories already out there and also negotiate with the author - I say 'negotiate' because it's not the GE's job to change a fic. The GE makes suggestions. The author can agree or disagree, unless it's a ratings issue, in which case the GE says 'I don't think that's PG13', and we're left trying to find a compromise because, ultimately, we want the author to be happy that their story is on the Archive.

In the case of inability to agree, GEs will refer to the EIC for a ruling - but obviously we try to avoid doing that, otherwise the poor EIC will be making rulings all the time and what's the point in having a GE who's incapable of making an independent judgement? That means that, even under the same EIC, it's possible to have different standards applied to stories. That can't be helped. When Becky's story was uploaded, it's quite possible that the EIC of the day never even saw it. With anything between 10 and 30 stories out for editing at any one time - and some of them very long - there's no way the EIC can read everything.

There are checks and balances; if something gets through that clearly shouldn't and the EIC ends up having to make a ruling (which was very rare in my experience over the years I was a GE), it's usual that the EIC will email all GEs afterwards to say 'it's now Archive policy that the following is not acceptable'. That happened with the use of one particular four-letter word beginning with S - considered more heinous in the US than the UK, apparently.

Of course it's an imperfect system, but it's one which relies on the generosity, hard work and diligence of a number of people who volunteer their time to help writers to make their stories as presentable as possible and provide an Archive which is entertaining and also as accessible as possible to as many people of all ages as possible. I'm just sorry that anyone feels it necessary to attack and slander people who work very hard to ensure that FoLCs have great new fic to read each week. frown

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Features Writer
Features Writer
I would also like to throw in my two cents as an author, but first, I want to thank Labrat and the other GEs who work so hard to keep the Archive running. I know it can't be easy to coordinate so many stories, of varying lengths, topics and quality. You rock! And furthermore, I think the GEs put a lot of work into deciding what the rating should be on a story.

I write both nfic and gfic for this fandom, and I consider my audience when I am writing my stories. I know how far I can go with the gfic before it becomes inappropriate for the gfic side -- my litmus test is generally "can I read this on my work computer?" (also known as "would I have a stroke if my boss saw me reading this?) Honestly, when I set out to write a story, I think about the topic of the story and THEN decide which way to take it. Anything that is going to have a strong focus on sex, I would rather write as nfic and take my creative liberties up against a tree or something. wink

For example, "Sexy Little Things" had no sex, but it was about Clark buying Lois the black teddy, and there was enough innuendo and sensuality that I thought it was best posted in the nfic folder. In addition, I have been asked to write a gfic version of "Inside Out," but because I feel that the sex is such an intregal part of the plot -- especially the conference-room scene that ends up having deep ramifications for their relationship -- if I take it out, the story has lost its integrity.

However, "Rain" is on the regular Archive -- with a PG-13 rating. I rated it that way because of the subject matter, and my GE agreed. If I had added any form of sex to it, I would have posted it on the nfic side. It's as simple as that.

My point being that I think the stories on the regular Archive are the way they are because the authors choose to write them to that audience. They know what lines they can cross -- hence why there are several stories that have both a gfic and an nfic version. The best authors know exactly how far they can take it without fear of reprisal.

I figure if people want to read stories with actual sex scenes in them, they can read them on the nfic archive -- which is password protected. I have no problem with nfic (clearly), but I can see how it would be pretty unfair to blindside people with it on the regular archive -- with no password or warning. I think it's a specialized form of fic. PG-13, on the other hand, is stepping up to the line, taking a good look, but not crossing the threshold, and I think that is the right "tone" for the general archive. After all, L&C was a show that had innuendo and implied things to a certain degree, but at the end of the day, was still a family show. And I feel the Archive should be a representation of that.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
My two cents as a reader: I appreciate that both the archive and this forum are PG-13. IMO, the original show was PG (not even -13), therefore the PG-13 rating to the archive still maintains the integrity of the show.

I also feel there is nothing wrong with n-fic, but have absolutely no desire to read it. I'm glad I have the option of reading fanfic without stumbling across anything that doesn't appeal to me.

One thing that bothers me, though, is the idea that all n-fic is about sex. While our n-fic archive may be predominantly about sex, it doesn't have to be. There are certain things that are n-fic that have nothing to do with sex since there are other kinds of graphic material that don't belong on a PG13 board for good reason.

Part of the reason that it bothers me to say that the n-fic boards only exist for sexual expression is because of the mischaracterization that people that don't read n-fic are anti-sex or judgmental. IMO you may read whatever you want to, but I would prefer to have the option to read only what I want to. Stories can't be unread, so it is better that they are properly labeled and stored in their appropriate archives.

I also don't believe that the archive has shifted in its standards. There have always been two archives. I hope that standard remains, because it works well for this fandom.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Personally, I have no clue whether the standards changed over the years or not, but I'll take Labby's word for it.

That said, I prefer the archive's stance to remain as it is. It's a good system; and as the adage goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Not everybody wants to read Nfic, as others have said. And I fully empathize with the more conservative readers, even though I'm not necessarily the same way myself (having poked the line with a stick and all).

Tastes change. Yesterday we were conservative. Today we're liberal. Tomorrow, we may be conservative again. It's good to have an archive from which we know what to expect.

My 2 cents. smile

~•~
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I simply want to say thank you to Lab Rat and all the other archive GE's editors and otherwise elves, smile , for your daily committment and hard work to all us folcs. If I knew how to post a thank you banner icon as someone else did, I would. Since I don't my thanks will have to suffice.

Mona

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
her role as EIC is to emphasise that, as EIC, she does have to rely on her team of General Editors.
I absolutely agree, Wendy. Labby does a great job! But she doesn’t re-read everything we GE’s say is ‘okay’. I do know that I would ask LabRat if I thought anything was ‘on the fence’. But as LabRat said, we are all different and thus see things differently.

That means that, even under the same EIC, it's possible to have different standards applied to stories.
Exactly. You said it (as always) better than I did. smile

I also declare that Labby rocks!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I also declare that Labby rocks!
LOL! Thank you everyone who has posted - your continuing support for the Archive is always very much appreciated. goofy I rely absolutely on the skill and judgement of our editors and have to say that I couldn't imagine working with a more efficient, skillful and hard-working crew as I have done over the years. You guys are the ones who truly rock. clap clap

Thank you again for all the kind words. smile

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Perhaps I should respond here, too.

Carol, you don't do nfic and you wrote something that you would never have considered nfic, but you were told it was. I'm sorry the Archive must be so juvenile when it comes to anything sex-related - I guess that if you are going to upload a story where Lois and Clark have a baby together and you want to explain where the baby comes from, it must either be delivered by a spaceship or a stork?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<sigh> I consider that first remark to be a personal flame, Ann. You may have cited the Archive, but as it's non-sentient it can't possibly be juvenile. It holds therefore that what you actually mean is the EIC is juvenile.
No, actually, I meant that the Archive is juvenile when certain standards apply to it. I think that a book can be juvenile even if its author is not, a movie can be juvenile even if its director is not, and an Archive can be juvenile even if its EIC is not.

I hardly think that I can be considered a prude
Absolutely not. I wasn't talking about you personally, but about the rules of the Archive.

These rules do seem to have changed. I have exchanged emails with one FoLC who has three stories on the Archive which she herself believes would not have been accepted today. She thinks that if she had tried to get them uploaded today, they would have been rejected as nfic.

And what about Exhaustedly Happy by Jennifer Eagan-Dixon? It was submitted in March 1999. Would it have been accepted today?

To me, what Carol said in her post about Becky Bain's story seemed to confirm my belief that the rules that apply to the Archive have become more strict than they used to be.

But I didn't mean to accuse you, Labby. It's not as if you are our residen Tyrant-in-Chief who lays down the rules regardless of what your underlings wish. Rather, I think that FoLCs in general must be relatively happy with the rules, because otherwise I think that there would be a general demand for a change in a more liberal direction. Since there has been no such general demand, I just assume that FoLCs tend to be happy with the Archive the way it is.

But it really does seem to me that the rules have changed. If Becky Bain's story could be uploaded, let alone Jennifer Eagan-Dixons fic, but a very unexplicit conversation between Lois and Clark is deemed unacceptable today, then I do think that there has been a change.

As for Becky Bain's story, Labby, you said this:

But I added that I would have no doubt considered it nfic at the time it was uploaded, too, if I'd realised it was there. (Italics mine.)
So in other words it was a case of omission that Becky Bain's story passed through the eye of the needle. The same can't be said about Jennifer Eagan-Dixon's story, because it is basically all about sex. But then again, I don't think you were EIC of the Archive back in 1999.

You also said:

But, as EIC it's my responsibility to apply the current rules. You may find the line as it currently stands ridiculous, but I can assure you that many others will complain that it is way too liberal. As EIC, I have the difficult task of charting a course that will, hopefully, satisfy both camps, most of the time. This I do to the best of my ability and I deeply resent being called juvenile for doing it.
I understand that, and, indeed, I do understand that it is a herculean task to manage the Archive. And, to remain in the realm of metaphors from classical antiquity, it can't be much easier to try to navigate between the Scylla of the liberals and the Charybdis of the conservatives. And I do hope you understand that I have never thought of you as juvenile.

If the standards have changed since you became Editor-in-Chief - and I believe they have - maybe that is simply because the standards have become more consistent since you took over. That is certainly a possibility.

I'm sorry if I offended you, Labby.

Ann

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, actually, I meant that the Archive is juvenile when certain standards apply to it. I think that a book can be juvenile even if its author is not, a movie can be juvenile even if its director is not, and an Archive can be juvenile even if its EIC is not.
Well, I can't quite agree with your reasoning here, Ann, but thank you for clarifying your comments.

These rules do seem to have changed. I have exchanged emails with one FoLC who has three stories in the Archive which she herself believes would not have been accepted today. She thinks that if she had tried to get them uploaded today, they would have been rejected as nfic.
I can't speak to examples when the details are unknown to me. I have no idea whether I'd agree with this author or not and the fact that she believes something doesn't necessarily make it so. wink However, if this author truly believes that the stories she has on the Archive are nfic – and therefore in clear breach of the Archive's PG13 policy – it's always possible to have them removed.

And what about Exhaustedly Happy by Jennifer Eagan-Dixon? It was submitted in March 1999. Would it have been accepted today?
It's in the same bracket as Becky's story and makes the same point as my earlier posts. I wouldn't upload it as it is, today, but I wouldn't have uploaded it as it is in 1999 either. However, that has to be qualified by the fact that I wasn't EIC in 1999. So I cannot speak to whatever decisions were made by EIC or GE then which led to it being uploaded. Did you consider that its upload might actually have been just a simple error? The Archive has over 3,000 stories uploaded to it. It would be incredible if no mistakes had ever been made during all the years we've been in operation.

Consider this. A while back, one of our new GEs massively underestimated where the line lay. As a result, a story was uploaded to the Archive which was about 70% nfic. As EIC and not having read it, I had no clue something had gone wrong until I received two complaints about its content, just hours after it was uploaded. I read it, realized a mistake had been made and that the only solution was to pull the story from the Archive, get the author and GE to rework it and then upload it again.

Now consider that no one bothered to complain, but simply tutted in disgust, wondered what the heck we were doing, and then moved on to the next story. I would have remained blissfully ignorant that the content was there. Perhaps for years. Or until someone decided to use it as an example in a debate. wink

Like I say – humans make mistakes. And because they do, I don't really think delving into the Archive to find specific examples here and there actually means very much when it comes to proving or disproving that Archive standards have changed. Trying to speculate on what decisions led to individual uploads almost a decade ago seems pointless.

But it really does seem to me that the rules have changed. If Becky Bain's story could be uploaded, let alone Jennifer Eagan-Dixons fic, but a very unexplicit conversation between Lois and Clark is deemed unacceptable today, then I do think that there has been a change.
You are, of course, perfectly entitled to believe that if you want to, Ann. Obviously, I disagree. Partly because I would disagree with you that the text in Carol's story was unexplicit. I read it and IMO, it was very similar in tone to Becky's text and so came into the same category when it came to making my decision to exclude it. Or – actually - not exclude laugh as it was Carol who pointed out the similarity to Becky's text and I conceded precedent and informed her that I would allow it into the Archive on that basis, if she was insistent that it was absolutely necessary to the story.

So in other words it was a case of omission that Becky Bain's story passed through the eye of the needle. The same can't be said about Jennifer Eagan-Dixon's story, because it is basically all about sex. But then again, I don't think you were EIC of the Archive back in 1999.
See above. I would only add that the same guidelines applied then as do now and the story is clearly in breach of them. Which seems to me to indicate that a mistake was made somewhere along the line. wink

Incidentally, although I'd agree that Jen's story is beyond PG13, I would disagree that it's entirely so. In fact, the first half is mostly well within the PG13 limit and is even beautifully innocent. It's only the second half that things start to go awry. Also, I'm not sure from your comment if you're harbouring the mistaken impression that sex as a subject as and of itself is beyond PG13. In case you are, I can assure you that that's not the case. A story could be entirely about the subject of sex and still be well within PG13 – if the author was clever enough in his/her writing.

If the standards have changed since you became Editor-in-Chief - and I believe they have - maybe that is simply because the standards have become more consistent since you took over. That is certainly a possibility.
As I say, I tend to think it's more a case of mistakes being naturally made here and there over the years. I am absolutely sure that things have slipped through on my watch that shouldn't have, too. And will continue to slip through long after I'm gone. No shift in standards or policy. Just plain and simple human error.

So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. smile But, again, I appreciate you clarifying your thoughts on the subject.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Features Writer
Features Writer
A story could be entirely about the subject of sex and still be well within PG13 – if the author was clever enough in his/her writing.
(emphasis mine)

LOL. That's a whole lot of euphemisms.

alcyone laugh

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
For myself, I haven't noticed any change in the Archive's standards, and I've been reading since 1999. As you know, I don't write nfic, although I don't mind reading it if it is done tastefully.

The thing is, we *have* an nfic archive. Why should we change the regular Archive, which is a safe place for those who don't wish to read nfic, when we already have a place to put the more racy stuff? There's no rule that says an author can't write an nfic version of her story for those who prefer a slightly more graphic story.

In any case, I think Labby does a fine job as our EIC, and I don't see any need for her to change the standards. Face it, everyone's standards are slightly different. If she changed them every time somebody requested it, the situation would be chaos in no time.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
However, if this author truly believes that the stories she has on the Archive are nfic &#8211; and therefore in clear breach of the Archive's PG13 policy &#8211; it's always possible to have them removed.
The possibility that these stories may be removed is precisely why I won't name the author or the titles of the fics. If the person who wrote them is bothered about the possibility that she may have sent nfic to the Archive she can contact you about it herself. Personally I won't call attention to her stories so that they may become targets for complaints.

Anyway, I'm glad that this thread has clarified the content of the conversation between Lois and Clark that Carol removed from part 33 of her story. The deleted scenes did not shed any more light on why Lois is afraid of intimacy, and they did not describe any aspect of the actual togetherness of Lois and Clark. Therefore I agree that they were not essential to the story, and I no longer feel cheated because I didn't get to read them.

Thank you for that clarification, Labby.

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
This topic has been an incredibly interesting read, and I'd like to thank everyone for posting their thoughts.

I recently finished an nfic that gets the rating not only for sexual content but also for adult themes. I tried my hand at gficing it because I know there are lots of folcs who don't read nfic (I used to be one of them until my muse decided to write this thing), and I didn't want to exclude them from my audience.

The more I think about it, however, the more I think the story shouldn't have a gfic version after all. I felt like the story lost a lot of it's emotional impact when I removed the explicit references, and even at that, I'm still not sure it would pass the mbs/archive ratings standard, so it may need to be edited down even further.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say thanks for this discussion. It's really got me thinking about what does and does not cross the gfic/nfic line, and how that impacts my story. smile

~Anna

Features Writer
Features Writer
This topic is fascinating every time it comes up. I think I have my thoughts somewhat in order, but no guarantees:

One thing that bothers me, though, is the idea that all n-fic is about sex. While our n-fic archive may be predominantly about sex, it doesn't have to be. There are certain things that are n-fic that have nothing to do with sex since there are other kinds of graphic material that don't belong on a PG13 board for good reason.
I'd like to get a rundown about what those things are. No snark there, just honest curiosity, because I don't think those things exist in a non-neglible level in this fandom and I wonder how long it would take for there to be enough people for those elements to be treated the way n-fic sex is treated. I say that because I hesitate to think that a fic rated n for violence or swearing (which begs the question of what else goes beyond PG-13?) would necessarily get a wide readership (even in the n-fic folder). That is my impression from my time spent here, people who have been here longer would know more. But I do remember happening on a fic an annesplace where the writer thanked her beta for telling her to take out a swear word because the characters wouldn't swear. Annesplace. I was surprised, to say the least.

That author's note on the swear word (and other old posts I've seen) made me think more about the language I would use even in the _nfic_ folder, where theoretically that sort of thing would be permissible and has precedent (this being a matter apart from the auto-censoring which I won't go into here, though its also interesting to discuss how that affects conventions). What I'm using this example for is to illustrate the fact that there are certain habits that have been nurtured not just by the show, but also by fandom. My point is that having n-fics be predominantly about (hetero) sex, rather than whatever else is out there in say, Harry Potter (an equally family-oriented source and even I shudder), is a convention probably harkening back to the show, but having been run with by fans--which is kinda neat to chew over (and here I've wandered on a tangent, but it happens smile ). Social contracts and all that jazz.

Actually, a lot of you have mentioned how I feel about the Archive in that for me the rating cap unwittingly (?) keeps it closer to the "spirit" of the show, more so than n-fic can be by its very nature (and here I'm very strictly refering to explicitness). And I add some hit closer to the series than other of course, but the explicitness is a pretty thick line for me. At the same time, I don't think that n-fics are so different from Archive fics outside explicit content that they can be considered a different genre. Although I wouldn't say that to do that wouldn't change a fic. I just don't think it's a comedy-tragedy type of change--that's what I think of when I think of genre.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'd like to get a rundown about what those things are. No snark there, just honest curiosity, because I don't think those things exist in a non-neglible level in this fandom and I wonder how long it would take for there to be enough people for those elements to be treated the way n-fic sex is treated. I say that because I hesitate to think that a fic rated n for violence or swearing (which begs the question of what else goes beyond PG-13?) would necessarily get a wide readership (even in the n-fic folder).
There have been a few fics that weren't considered gfic because of violence and, I think, drug use. I'm wracking my brain, because I know a few, but I'm trying to remember which ones. Maybe someone else can remember.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I do appreciate the archive system, very much.

I was reading an NCIS fic last year sometime. I liked the pairing of the couple - not an obvious one, but I liked it nonetheless and hetero which is the norm here but not always elsewhere [which I know even though I'm not active in any other fandom and rarely seek out other fic] - but it was rated PG13. Okay. No biggie. I can do PG13, but this one was as explicit as anything I'd ever see [well, expect to I guess] on the nfic boards/archive, and then some. And the curse words thrown about... Sheesh! Every other word half the time. We're talking 'f bombs' etc which I found to be totally out of character anyway, besides being offensive. It made me truly appreciate our archive.

There was an occasional 'mild' swear word on L/C but not much. I think that may have been what that A/N was referring to, alcyone. Whether it was in character or not, given the situation. I can 'hear' any of the characters saying 'mild' swear words occasionally, though I think they all have different thresholds where they would. Clark, for instance, I think would usually have to be much more upset than Lois [who might have a thing or two to say about traffic that's not even particularly bad if her farmboy partner scooped her on Superman again]. Clark maybe would swear when he couldn't get there in time and a bunch of people died or Lois was being very careless and got herself in trouble and almost died while she knew he was off fighting a typhoon or something. Perry perhaps for emphasis in a lecture or something. Etc. When I first joined the fandom I was beta'ing for an author and I called her on Jonathan saying 'damn' in a pilot rewrite then found out it was a direct quote so... [at least I think that was how it happened but it's been a while].

Anyway - I really do appreciate the ratings system very much and understand completely why the rule is the way it is.

Carol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard