Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Speaking of dialogue mixed with narrative, and commas - I'm having some trouble with the last sentence (sentences?) in this paragraph:

But he’d taken the trouble of shaving before he’d come back to her. “Mmmmm…” she murmured. “So the smooth look is for me?” Running a fingertip along his jaw, she added, “Well, I liked your slightly scruffy look…” She dropped her voice to a throaty purr. “…Superman…” and smiled as he moaned softly. “…but this is even nicer…”
What do I need to fix? I'm not sure I've got it quite right.

smile 'Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Merriwether
Merriwether
I would probably use commas instead of ellipses and split up the sentences, or you could use Wendy's suggestion in the previous thread and use hyphens.

Running a fingertip along his jaw, she added, “Well, I liked your slightly scruffy look,” she dropped her voice to a throaty purr,
"Superman.” She smiled as he moaned softly. “But this is even nicer…”
Though, looking at that, it still seems slightly awkward to me. Hmm...

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I would eliminate the gerund "Running..." and replace it with "She drew a soft finger along his jaw and added..." or something equally sensuous. Even though many authors do it (and not just on this site), starting a sentence with a gerund is almost always a less-than-best construction.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Karen suggested:

Running a fingertip along his jaw, she added, “Well, I liked your slightly scruffy look,” she dropped her voice to a throaty purr,
"Superman.”
and said it still looked a bit awkward. You have a 'beat' in there masquerading as a dialogue tag, which is why it looks wrong. Whenever there's no speech tag, the intervening narrative needs to be a new, complete sentence. So let's repunctuate as follows:

Running a fingertip along his jaw, she added, “Well, I liked your slightly scruffy look.” She dropped her voice to a throaty purr.
"Superman.”
If we want more of a sense of immediacy, we could do it like this:
Running a fingertip along his jaw, she added, “Well, I liked your slightly scruffy look-” She dropped her voice to a throaty purr.
"-Superman.”
Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you all - that helps! smile

'Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard