Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: TicAndToc More dialogue interspersed with narrative - 05/25/08 11:53 PM
Speaking of dialogue mixed with narrative, and commas - I'm having some trouble with the last sentence (sentences?) in this paragraph:

But he’d taken the trouble of shaving before he’d come back to her. “Mmmmm…” she murmured. “So the smooth look is for me?” Running a fingertip along his jaw, she added, “Well, I liked your slightly scruffy look…” She dropped her voice to a throaty purr. “…Superman…” and smiled as he moaned softly. “…but this is even nicer…”
What do I need to fix? I'm not sure I've got it quite right.

smile 'Toc
Posted By: Karen Re: More dialogue interspersed with narrative - 05/26/08 06:09 AM
I would probably use commas instead of ellipses and split up the sentences, or you could use Wendy's suggestion in the previous thread and use hyphens.

Running a fingertip along his jaw, she added, “Well, I liked your slightly scruffy look,” she dropped her voice to a throaty purr,
"Superman.” She smiled as he moaned softly. “But this is even nicer…”
Though, looking at that, it still seems slightly awkward to me. Hmm...
I would eliminate the gerund "Running..." and replace it with "She drew a soft finger along his jaw and added..." or something equally sensuous. Even though many authors do it (and not just on this site), starting a sentence with a gerund is almost always a less-than-best construction.
Karen suggested:

Running a fingertip along his jaw, she added, “Well, I liked your slightly scruffy look,” she dropped her voice to a throaty purr,
"Superman.”
and said it still looked a bit awkward. You have a 'beat' in there masquerading as a dialogue tag, which is why it looks wrong. Whenever there's no speech tag, the intervening narrative needs to be a new, complete sentence. So let's repunctuate as follows:

Running a fingertip along his jaw, she added, “Well, I liked your slightly scruffy look.” She dropped her voice to a throaty purr.
"Superman.”
If we want more of a sense of immediacy, we could do it like this:
Running a fingertip along his jaw, she added, “Well, I liked your slightly scruffy look-” She dropped her voice to a throaty purr.
"-Superman.”
Wendy smile
Thank you all - that helps! smile

'Toc
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards