Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kermtzu Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Ha! Did that get your attention? sloppy

Here's the setting. (This will be in my fourth Superpowered Lois story) Lois has tackled Clark and flipped him as he's preparing to go, saying goodnight at her door. Lois is tired of polite and mannerly Clark, and wants some smoochin'. I want to intersperse her words with kisses, and I'm not sure what looks most natural:

1. "If you think for one second," kiss, "Clark Kent," kiss, "that you are going" kiss, "out that door" etc.
2. "If you think for one second,"<kiss> "Clark Kent," <kiss> "that you are going" <kiss> "out that door" etc (or any other symbols around 'kiss')
3. "If you think for one second," Lois kissed him, "Clark Kent," another kiss, "that you are going" a couple quick kisses, "out that door" etc.

#1 looks artificial, and I don't care for it. I like #3 best, simply because it isn't repetitive, but I also don't want too much description in between her words. I want it obvious that she's dazzling him (lucky Clark) and want the dazzling to be short & understated yet WAFFy.

Please weigh in. If #3 reads well to most, I'm going to use it. I'm also open to other ideas - there are so many gifted writers here, I am sure to hear suggestions that will dwarf my petty scribblings!

Thanks-
Kevin

Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't like the first two at all. The third would work, but you really need to fix the grammar. You can only intersperse dialogue with narrative using commas if you have dialogue tags in there, which you don't.

So your third example, correctly punctuated and so on, would look like this:

"If you think for one second-" Lois kissed him. "-Clark Kent-" Another kiss. "-that you are going-" A couple of quick kisses. "-out that door-" etc.
And, in case you didn't spot the other change I made there, it should be a couple of quick kisses.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'll confess that I've never been fond of the kind of narrative in examples 1 and 2, so I'd go for 3.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I prefer that complete sentences be used whenever possible. While I don't mind interupted dialogue, I would weigh in like this:

"If you think for one second-" Lois kissed him. "...Clark Kent-" She stole another kiss. "...that you are going-" She paused for a couple of quick kisses. "...out that door-"

Just my two cents.

Elisabeth

Columnist
Columnist
Just from the reader point of view I like the way Wendy has it written. All those symbols are distracting and pull me from the story.

Kerth
Kerth
Even risking exposure as a nerd, I prefer the second version. blush

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Even risking exposure as a nerd, I prefer the second version.
But - and definitely risking exposure as a grammar nerd - I have to point out that it breaks a number of rules of grammar, and as a former GE I would have issues with it goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kerth
Kerth
True enough. I wouldn't let the direct speech end at all, but just intersperse it with <kiss> - even though that is hardly correct grammar, either. Still, I like it better than the grammatically correct version.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
I wouldn't let the direct speech end at all, but just intersperse it with <kiss> - even though that is hardly correct grammar, either. Still, I like it better than the grammatically correct version.
I agree! I like that version better.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Wendymr:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Even risking exposure as a nerd, I prefer the second version.
But - and definitely risking exposure as a grammar nerd - I have to point out that it breaks a number of rules of grammar, and as a former GE I would have issues with it help

Now I'm getting poster's remorse over *grammar* for crying out loud. Not the sex. Not the pain. Not the suffering I put LnC and my readers through. No, it has to be *grammar*. Arrrrgh!

Michael

PS: No, I'm not going to run back and change parts 1-10. That's what editing for the archives is for, if I want to actually change it.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Have to agree with my wife...
"If you think for one second-" Lois kissed him. "...Clark Kent-" She stole another kiss. "...that you are going-" She paused for a couple of quick kisses. "...out that door-"
...if only because she used my favorite punctuation, the elipse...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I did use the ellipse, but after the fact I wondered if Wendy was right and it should have been a dash.

Elisabeth

PS Anyone who says that English is an easy language lies.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think it should be dashes rather than ellipses, yes, Elisabeth, but I did very much like what you did with the beats.

Of course, it's individuals' choice what they decide to go with, but version two is grammatically wrong and is likely to be picked up on by a GE if the story is submitted to the Archive. It's also more jarring for readers, especially if they're the sort - like me - who get jerked out of a story by grammar errors: the way my reading brain works is that I have to pause, mentally correct them and then have to get back into the story to read on.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wendy wrote:
...the way my reading brain works is that I have to pause, mentally correct them and then have to get back into the story to read on.
Several years ago, I attended a writer's conference (where I learned a great deal, thank you) and one of the speakers told us that the more we knew about writing, the more it would detract from our reading enjoyment, because we'd be better able to spot errors and see how the story might have been told in a better way. "Pffft!" I thought. "That's ridiculous! I won't do that!"

I did.

I can look back on things I wrote many years ago and cringe because of the things I either did poorly or did completely wrong. And this was before I even knew about Lois and Clark fan fiction. I've even gone so far as to "fix" some of the stuff I've written but which almost no one has read (and probably never will read).

You don't have to have perfect grammar in your work, but silly or sloppy grammar will indeed break into the reader's willing suspension of disbelief and fracture the spell. We should all do the best we know how to do, and asking questions like this one is a great way to learn and to teach.

My advice? Use the dashes or the ellipses, whichever is your preference, but be consistent. And then post the silly thing, for heaven's sake! We all want to read it now!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Kermtzu Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Thanks, everyone, for the great advice! I'm much more comfortable using what's been suggested in this thread than any of the styles I'd mentioned in the original post. What I had was clunky, and definitely disrupted the flow. Let's face it: I want Lois tackling Clark ASAP and so does he! If my silly grammar gets in the way I delay the arrival of Utopia, so it's a moral imperative I get it right.

I'm close to finishing this story for posting on the boards. There will be a surprise or two that I'll reveal in spoilers below. This series will have an additional 2 stories; spoilers for those included as well.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Really. Spoilers ahead. Stop now if you don't like them.

Story #4 - As mentioned, Lois is tired of slow and steady Clark, and takes matters into her own hands. Lex will be in this, and Clark will get a bit of revenge for time spent in the Kryptonite cage. Lois is going to propose in this story.

Story #5 - Lois & Clark have been married for some time, and Lois is far along into her/their first pregnancy. She is a bit more feisty than usual. I have a scene planned where she is following the nesting instinct. I hope it will please readers; the vignette is over the top, but since she's superpowered *and* Lois Lane, over the top is not difficult.

Story #6 - Lois makes a rescue in Suicide Slum and decides that slums should be a thing of the past. With the combined superpowers of Superman and Justice for physical activity, and the writing of articles, features and editorials by Lane and Kent, they push for the elimination of subpar housing, health care and the like. It's a big job, but they are larger than life. Lora, the future girl, will be back and reveal that Lois' push is what started the long road to Utopia. It tickles me to have it be Lois, rather than Clark.

Story #4 will probably be up after the 3/5 segment of Night Fell.

Thanks again, everyone.

Kevin

Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard