Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
My fanfic is pretty much an alternate world type of story, but it isn't the alternate world featured on Lois and Clark. I guess the best way to describe it would be that it is a "What If?" fanfic. Does that make sense?

Now, here's where it gets even trickier. I started off writing the story as a "Smallville" fanfic, but as time went on, I began to add more and more elements from "Lois and Clark." At this point, I have what I think is a really interesting merging of "Lois and Clark" and "Smallville" into one universe.

I realize that this is a "Lois and Clark" fanfic board, so I'm not so sure that my "What If?" story should be posted here. To explain myself a bit more, I'll tell you which elements I used from "Smallville" and which elements I used from "Lois and Clark." From "Smallville," I used the characters of Chloe Sullivan, Grant Gabriel, and the Justice League. Also, like in "Smallville," Clark is not yet Superman. From "Lois and Clark," I used the characters of Jason Trask and Bureau 39, Linda King, H.G. Wells, and Tempus. All of these characters have been altered in some way or another, but they are still pretty much the same characters as they were on the show.

So, based on my description, do you think this fanfic belongs here?

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It doesn't sound as though it will be a problem, LL. You have enough LNC elements to justify it and crossover fic which combine LNC and another show/universe are more than welcome here.

Go post! laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Thanks for the reply. smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
lol - but no mention of Lois Lane in these lists. But given your nickname, is it a given that Lois Lane is very much in the story and in a L & C way?

My question still doesn't change the cross-over aspect, but I was was just curious. smile

c.

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by ccmalo:
lol - but no mention of Lois Lane in these lists. But given your nickname, is it a given that Lois Lane is very much in the story and in a L & C way?

My question still doesn't change the cross-over aspect, but I was was just curious. smile

c.
I can't believe I forgot to mention Lois, especially since she is my favorite character from both "Smallville" and "Lois and Clark." Yes, she is in the story.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for the clarification. smile

c.

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Thanks for the clarification. smile

c.
You're welcome.

I plan on posting the first five chapters by the end of next week.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
About posting that fast...

While I am one to happily consume just about any crossover at any rate of posting...faster than one post a day tends to be overwhelming. It also sets a standard that your adoring readership will start to expect.

Also, once a day allows time for proper feedback from your global readers.

Of course, if people start raving about it, post as fast as you like laugh

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I tend to do best with fics that post no more than 3-5 times a week. More than that and I get lost. I rarely give up, but once I'm behind I give that fic less of a sense of urgency. Also I find that when I listen to the feedback that others have given I sometimes want to make changes as I go along, filling in a backstory here or taking a different angle there. Just my two cents.

Elisabeth

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by Mister Data:
About posting that fast...

While I am one to happily consume just about any crossover at any rate of posting...faster than one post a day tends to be overwhelming. It also sets a standard that your adoring readership will start to expect.

Also, once a day allows time for proper feedback from your global readers.

Of course, if people start raving about it, post as fast as you like laugh

James
I tend to do best with fics that post no more than 3-5 times a week. More than that and I get lost. I rarely give up, but once I'm behind I give that fic less of a sense of urgency. Also I find that when I listen to the feedback that others have given I sometimes want to make changes as I go along, filling in a backstory here or taking a different angle there. Just my two cents.

Elisabeth
OK, thanks for the advice. I feel like my fanfic doesn't get really good until chapter 6, so I was considering posting chapters 1-5 all at once and then posting one chapter per week after that. Now, I think I might post chapters 1-2 the first day, since they are both fairly short. After that, I might post one of the next few chapters every couple of days before going on to posting one chapter per week. Does this sound like a better posting strategy?

Top Banana
Top Banana
Define chapter. smile I think a post of about 6-8 pages is what most people seem comfortable with.

I feel like my fanfic doesn't get really good until chapter 6,
That's an interesting comment. Why do you feel that way? Too A plot heavy for what may people here like? Clark too Smallville for L & C fans? Lois /Clark too much in the background while the secondary characters dominate the action? A lack of that magical "hook" that lures us in, ensnares and enthralls us and makes us want to read more?

So maybe just a little rejigging of waht you have in those first chapters?

c.

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Define chapter. smile I think a post of about 6-8 pages is what most people seem comfortable with.

I feel like my fanfic doesn't get really good until chapter 6,
That's an interesting comment. Why do you feel that way? Too A plot heavy for what may people here like? Clark too Smallville for L & C fans? Lois /Clark too much in the background while the secondary characters dominate the action? A lack of that magical "hook" that lures us in, ensnares and enthralls us and makes us want to read more?

So maybe just a little rejigging of waht you have in those first chapters?

c.
Most of my chapters are about 4 pages. However, some are a little bit more, and others are a little bit less.

I do like chapters 1-5 as is. I probably wouldn't want to change them too much. However, the reason that chapter 6 onward is so good is that that is where certain characters like Linda King and Jason Trask make their first appearances in the story. Chapters 1-5 might be a little too "Smallville"-heavy for some "Lois and Clark" fans, but those chapters kind of set the rest of the story up.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
This is JMO of course wink .

My chapters in LtL have been about 12-15 pages lately. However, everyone's pages are different depending on font type and size etc. Mine have been running 4500-5500 words or so. That seems to be a good length - maybe a bit on the long side, but not terribly so. Originally, I had planned for 10-12 pages but that just didn't work.

Anyway - if your chapters are that short, you may want to post 2 chapters at a time with chapter 6 being it's own post or something.

Just a thought smile . Chapters and post lengths don't necessarily have to go together.
Carol

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by carolm:
This is JMO of course wink .

My chapters in LtL have been about 12-15 pages lately. However, everyone's pages are different depending on font type and size etc. Mine have been running 4500-5500 words or so. That seems to be a good length - maybe a bit on the long side, but not terribly so. Originally, I had planned for 10-12 pages but that just didn't work.

Anyway - if your chapters are that short, you may want to post 2 chapters at a time with chapter 6 being it's own post or something.

Just a thought smile . Chapters and post lengths don't necessarily have to go together.
Carol
This is probably what I'll do. I figured out a way to solve my earlier fear that certain fans might not understand or like some of the "Smallville" elements. I typed out a short introduction to explain the characters that are based on "Smallville" characters. Hopefully, this will ensure that non-"Smallville" fans won't get lost. I'll probably post the introduction, chapter 1, and chapter 2 together. After taking some time for feedback, I will post chapter 3 and possibly chapter 4. Then, chapter 5 onward will most likely be just one chapter per post.

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Here is the beginning of my fanfic:

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009455

Also, here is the feedback thread:

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009457

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard