Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Given the extreme lack of morale in my newsroom right now (i.e. layoffs and financial turmoil), I have to find my morale elsewhere. So here we go.

The concept is simple: Show some love or appreciation for an author or reader in this fandom -- tell us why you appreciate them, and recommend one of their stories for us to read (if they're an author). Old or new, nfic or gfic, it's all game. Your answer can be as long or as short as you want.

However, an author or reader may only be mentioned ONE TIME. So if you see that they have already been lauded, DO NOT post about them again. So read the thread VERY carefully.

So I'll start:

I'm giving props to ... ML Thompson.

Because ... I have slowly been reading all of her stories on the archive (gfic is safer at work) and they just blow me away. I've laughed, I've cried, I've contemplated taking a cold shower in the scary locker room downstairs, and I've continually marveled at her ability to keep readers wanting more. She is one of the best writers I have seen in terms of coming up with a creative plot. "The People Vs. Clark Kent" comes to mind, as does "Curiosity Killed the Reporter."

I recommend ... Since "Sex, Lies and Videotape" is one of my fave eps, I absolutely loved "Vindication." Technically, Samantha wasn't wrong when she saw Lois and Superman doing a little off-deadline horizontal page proofing, so it was really interesting to see someone else setting out to find the truth -- at Lois' expense, no less!

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
ooh, fun!

I'm giving props to: alcyone

Because: I really enjoy her writing style and her ability to suck the readers in right at the beginning of the story. Her characterization is great, and I really admire her ability to write really good A-plot, especially in nfics.

I recommend: "Bohemia", over in the nfic board, if that is your style. I've been following dilligently (even if I have been slacking in the fdk, apologies). It's a very good read, different than anything else I've read and I love that the story is a little darker.

Thanks to Cat for my rockin' avatar!
++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Jimmy: Yeah! It's like all we do is advance their plots.
Perry: To tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.
Jimmy: Man, me too!
Features Writer
Features Writer
Only one person?? Woe!

Hmmm...

I'm giving props to ... LaraMoon

Because ... Not only is she one of the most kick-heiny betas EVER (and the most patient...) she is also an amazing writer. Even if she sometimes doesn't believe this of herself.

I recommend ... Her Clark Kent is Batman series, because those stories amuse me to no end! And also Reversal of Fortune, because the detail in that just stays with me, especially the scenes from the books Clark wrote.

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm giving props to ... MetroRhodes.

Because ... She writes some of the best a-plot I've read. Her stories keep me on the edge of my seat - and I love that! She's not around so much anymore (come back, DJ!) but she was one of the most enthusiastic and encouraging people here, when leaving FDK.

I recommend ... Her "Supermen United" and "Superman Divided" were truly awesome crossovers. Definitely worth the read!

(and, heee! thank you Brucie! <3 U!)

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Kerth
Kerth
I'm giving props to… Caroline K.

Because she leaves me breathless with envy. Her characters are complex and come alive on the page. Because she writes descriptions that make me feel as if I'm actually there, in the story. Because she writes the best damn Martha Kent. Because she can weave a story with a little bit of everything - A plot, romance, humor, and angst. Because her characterizations always ring true to me.

I recommend \'If I Were You\' and \'Field of Dreams\' . Both are simply amazing explorations of "what if?"

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I'm giving props to: LabRat.

Because: One, she is our awesome den mother, always patient, kind and diplomatic. Two, she keeps the archive clicking along smoothly. Three, she is the author of some truly wonderful stories.

I recommend: Shape of My Heart, for an engaging story, wonderful description, waffy tenderness and the most exquisitely beautiful ending ever.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I found a way to cheat. Tee hee. (Hey! Why doesn't anyone look surprised.)

I'm giving props to Phil Atcliffe, CC Malo and Erin Klingler (Relax. I think I've found a way around that pesky little rule.)

Because I still like the old stories, I love Christmas AND I love breaking rules.

I would recommend their co-authored story (see how this works?) Bed-time Stories which deserves a re-read. (I even looked it up so I would get the name right. It's found here. http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories2/s6-03.txt )

Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
Good thread, Jenn. smile

I give props to Wendy Richards.

Because her writing is so tangible and wrought with emotion.

I Recommend Happened One Super Night and A Conscious Choice. Not too mention one of, my very very favorite TOGOM rewrites "Only Superman."

Mona

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Props to all of them and Sue, Jax and Teej too

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I'll give them to Sheila Harper and Jenni Debbage just because I love the way they write.

I recommend Sheila's "In the Beginning" and Jenni's "Universal Union" series -- and want to pester her for the last one, which she has still to write.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ok, I have to give some props to... Elisabeth, one for just making me laugh in this thread with your cheating. goofy And two, no matter how you stir around canon with your trusty mixing bowl, your characters still ring very true and honest to me, and thus

I'll recommend... No, In Any Language . A really enjoyable story. I'm a huge elseworlds fan, so it's easy to grab me with a different sort of L&C beginning. And the variations of 'no' that ran throughout it were kind of hilarious in their own right. I was looking for some huge, deep meaning into the title when you first started posting and had the biggest laugh when I realized what it literally meant! The whole story was a super idea. wink

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I am going to amend this to say that any author whose name is mentioned without a full explanation is still fair game, since they were listed, not given explanation. And no, I am not that self-righteous. I just think that some of the best authors in the fandom are on that list (some of whom I considered for my own props) and deserve their proper due if people choose to give it to them.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm giving props to... Labrat

Because ... I usually don't read WHAM stuff but Masques & Caped Fear were soooooo AMAZING that I couldn't stop reading.

I recommend ... Burnout also cause I love the whole Lois in denial sexual tension era and this fic has that in spades!!!

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm also going to break the rules.... hee hee

I'm also giving props to EditorJax...

Because... she's writing me 2 fics that are gonna rock!!! And cause Inside Out & her G&L have kept me so entertained at work over the past month. And cause she's the best roomie ever!

I recommend... reading Inside Out. Wonderful A plot as well as B plot out the wazoo. Plus there's a line in there that just gives me the creeps... we can post fic lines can't we... oh well.

Regarding Lex: "His hair had grown back from the last time she had seen him -- lying in a pit of rats -- but his eyes were the same. They never changed."

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm giving props to: Nan Smith

Because: She rocks!

I recommend: The Four Days to Nightfall series All her series are listed (thanks Pam) here

sloppy

That series is on my top five favorites list.

'Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Cute thread, Jenn! And since there's a rule-breaking precedent been set already, I'm going to continue it. wink

I'm giving props to: CC Aiken and Lynn M

because Not just because they both introduced me to some of the best LNC fanfic out there but because of their wit and humour. I miss their presence here on the mbs and the fun they created.

I recommend: What I have to choose? Do yourself a huge favour - go run, fast as you can, and read everything you can lay your hands on by those two and then mourn the fact that they're no longer writing for us.

But, if you twist my paw hard enough, I suppose I could whittle it down to CC's The Late, Great Lois Lane and Lynn's Starwood In Aspen. If it wasn't for the fact that it was never finished, I'd suggest Lynn's Haunting Eden (and if you can bear that it was only half-written and has no ending, read it anyway because it is one incredible fic.)

If you have access and are inclined, check out the nfic version, which has 27 parts, rather than four. wink

LabRat smile

PS Lisa and Steph - blush Thank you so much for the kind words. Especially now that I'm not writing and so get no feedback, such comments these days are especially appreciated and quite make my week.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
However, an author or reader may only be mentioned ONE TIME. So if you see that they have already been lauded, DO NOT post about them again. So read the thread VERY carefully.
Jenn, what a great idea - a neat way of avoiding those lists which wind up excluding so many people.

Anyway I'll add a reader - Ann - because her comments on stories are always so thorough, because she comments on so many stories and so is encouraging of a lot of our writers, because her comments don't shy away from controversy and so help make things interesting, because I disagree with her comments sometimes and so she makes me think about something that might not have crossed my mind before.

And, Elisabeth, what a nice surprise to see your mention of "Bedtime Stories". smile But I have to be honest here and say that the story is mostly Phil's - Erin and I each wrote a couple of inserts for it, but really it's Phil's story. smile

c.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm giving props to ... Tank Wilson.

Because ... His stories are great, and even though I prefer Lois with long hair, I have to admire the sheer determination to sneakily incorporate a haircut into a fic wherever possible.

I recommend ... The whole Future series. I just gone done re-reading this set a couple of weeks ago, and I loved it just as much the second time around. It was a little difficult for me to wrap my mind around Clark with an Alt-Lois, but it worked very well.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm giving props to: StopQuitDont

Because: She's an awesome writer, gfic and nfic! I love her writing!

I recommend: All of her stories! Umm... Am I supposed to choose? dizzy Well... my top list are:

A Gift for Life co-authored with Jenni Debbage. If you still haven't read this one, run and read it. You'll love this wonderful story!
Coming of Age
Not a Day
Purgatory
Unexplained Events
Mixed Signals
When Galaxies Divide
City by the Sea
What Are Friends For? - nfic
The House of Kent - nfic

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Some of my favs have already been mentioned, but here's one who hasn't been!

I'm giving props to Nicole Sullivan

Because While I tend to be a ridiculously critical reader, there is something about the way she writes that weaves a dreamy spell around me while I'm reading, making the rest of the world disappear for a while. This is a true feat that I'm still not sure how she accomplishes.

I recommend
"My Best Friend's Wedding" which takes off on the movie idea but is done so much better.
"To Wake from Dreams" which is another TOGOM story that just does it all right.
"Lucy Lane is Coming to Town" which endeared to me a character I usually hate.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard