Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
You *do* know that with the advent of BBC iPlayer, you don't need to rely on internet fairies to deliver you the new DW eps, don't you? They'll be available to watch for up to 7 days after the initial viewing date.

I've already used it to catch up on Torchwood and other BBC programmes.

Yvonne

Features Writer
Features Writer
Can someone from K-Com explain how the presenting process works for those of us who haven't done it before? I assume we're supposed to write our little "speech" about the nominees in advance, but is there a word limit or anything?

Thanks!

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
There are transcripts from previous year's that might be helpful to you. (Although I'm not sure where they are.) You will find two transcripts for each year. Normally there are two channels open at once, one where the official ceremony is located and the other where unofficial chat takes place.

Elisabeth
who was probably not very helpful

Features Writer
Features Writer
Thanks, Elisabeth. Actually, I have read the transcripts, and have an idea of how it works, but I don't know anything about the presenting process, and I want to do it correctly. I love how much it's like a real awards show! Big props to the K-Com for the work it puts into the awards. I've never seen anything like this!

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Most people write their speech in advance and then, on the night, copy and paste it in bite-sized chunks into the ceremony window on IRC. It makes the ceremony run more smoothly if you do this - unless you happen to be extremely good at making up speeches on the spot!

There's no word limit but do bear in mind that you need to retain your audience's attention - an audience which is pretty hyper and probably chatting in at least two other windows while you're pasting your speech. A long speech is less likely to keep their attention. wink

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
OT again:

You *do* know that with the advent of BBC iPlayer, you don't need to rely on internet fairies to deliver you the new DW eps, don't you? They'll be available to watch for up to 7 days after the initial viewing date.
I haven't looked at this, but I know a lot of this kind of content is only available to people with UK IP addresses. Not sure if that's the case for this. Having said that... I prefer the other method because I can then rewatch at my leisure if I wish wink

Back on topic: I'll certainly be there at the Kerths and I'm looking forward to forming part of the cheering section smile Good luck to all the nominees, presenters, Kerth committee and so on! clap

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Speaking of helping... So who is planning on having a baby during this year's award ceremony?

I'd volunteer, but it's too late for me to start that process right now.

Elisabeth

Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Sorry guys, just back from a business trip in England, where I actually got to see the Doctor Who trailer for the new series TWICE! I was SO excited!

Anyway, back to business (K-Com business and not RL business this time), I do need a few more presenters please please please with (if it helps) Clark on top. notworthy notworthy notworthy Like Yvonne said, people usually write up their speech in advance then cut and paste it in the channel, but there's really no rule there. Up to you!

I also need someone IRC-savvy to change the topic in the chat channel every time a winner is announced.

Two more IRC-savvy people to be bouncers in the chat channel.

Post here or drop me an email if you'd like to volunteer!

All help will be greatly appreciated!

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I just hung up the phone with James. (Apparently traffic is bad tonight. frown ) Anyway, back on topic... He said that since you have a shortage of presenters he and I can present separately tomorrow. He'll take Short Story or Alt-story/Elseworlds. You can IM him tonight with the details.

Elisabeth
PS While your "please" is very nice, I don't think James is interested in the "with Clark on top"

Merriwether
Merriwether
I'll be happy to do my usual bouncer duty. I just need to dig out my black outfit and gold armband. wink I can also change the topic too, if you want.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
LOL Elisabeth! Well, we'll just have to replace Clark with Lois for James, then. wink

And please thank him from me! Btw guys, no stopping you presenting together *then* James can present a category on his own. There's no rule saying you have to present only *one* category. smile I'll be presenting two categories myself after all. wink

Right, so James can have short story if that's all right with him. smile

Karen, thanks for volunteering. You and Wendy will both be bouncers. Wendy also agreed to change the topic, so between the two of you that's sorted. And Saskia will be our Sound-person. smile

Speaking of which, to enjoy the ceremony to the full, download the Kerth-sounds at http://www.lcficmbs.com/kerthawards/sounds.html

Now come on, guys, I need JUST a few more volunteers to present categories. Come on, it's a LOT of fun to step onto the stage and hand the award to the winner - and also help them breathe when they're fainting, pass on the smelling salts, get the stretcher etc...

Here are the categories that are still looking for a presenter:

Best Waffy Story
Best Drama
Best Overall Story

Come on people!

Kae smile

- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Kae, I'll take Best Drama if it's still open, or Best Overall if it's not.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
With Lois on top...hmmm...

As nice as that image may be for some, I prefer my women shorter, with LONGER hair, and preferable, with three little girls that go by the initials RGT TFT FKT.

I will be happy to do the Short Stories.

Now, who was the nominees again. wink (just kidding)

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Eva Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi,

I am not IRC-savvy at all, I only know how to connect and join #lanekent - so I suppose I could manage to join the Kerth stage, as well wink

If that would be enough and there's no-one else volunteering, I could present Best Waffy Story.

Just let me know ...

Eva

kill a cliché, save a reader
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Great!!! Right, so Eva, you're in for best waffy, and MrsMosley, you'll do best drama.

Eva, if you can chat on an irc channel, then you'll be perfectly fine presenting. It's really no more difficult than chatting - all you have to do is a short speech presenting what the category is all about (it can be serious or funny or totally crazy if you want dance

Kae smile

- Is that what we are?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard