Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
How far is Metropolis from...erm... Gotham?

I'm sure this isn't the best place to ask, but I figured maybe someone would know.

I'm trying to work things out for my crossover ficathon story -- and the way Elisabeth had set hers (which is my starting point), Lois seems to live and work in Metropolis, but Bruce Wayne is still in Gotham, so I kind of need to figure how long a trip would be for her to get from the Planet to Wayne Manor.

I had her go from one place to the other in a different story, but I couldn't have cared less about the distance between the cities at the time, so I still have no clue - and this time, it affects the plot, so...

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I always thought of Metropolis as New York and Gotham as Chicago, which would make it about 800 miles.

But I know that NYC does exist in the L&C universe (it was mentioned in Man of Steel Bars) and I think Chicago may have been mentioned at one point as well, in which case - heck if I know! laugh

Lisa, who gets a little dizzy at the fact that in some universes, Metropolis is apparently in Kansas.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Gotham was mentioned in the series too but it may have been a not serious reference [that is so not the way I want to word that but I can't think of how I do want to]. Lois is going on about him being Sman I think and Clark says I don't think they heard you in Gotham City and sort of gestured in the direction were they were taping a Batman movie IIRC.

Here it says they're 'within' driving distance [whatever that means] and sometimes twin cities across a bay. This is the same info as the wiki but without the ( in the link which the boards won't allow.

Here has some info too. Very interesting smile .

So it seems you can have them where ever you want wink .

Carol

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I have maps and suggestions over at World of Lois & Clark

Metropolis is on the Atlantic Coast and the maps shown in L&C indicate it may overlay the RL New York and the L&C New York is smaller and a short distance away. In the DCU, Metropolis is in NY State (which makes NY a very crowded place.)

Gotham is also East Coast (Which is a very crowded place in RL.) Gotham could well overlay any city north of Virginia. (Cinncinnati, Philadephia, Boston, tucked in between any of the above.)

Driving distance is usually defined as 'easy' driving distance - no more than an hour or so away by car (which can be between 30 to 90 miles depending on traffic, roads, etc.)

Clark's definition of driving distance is likely to be longer than Lois's - Midwesterners from small towns frequently drive more than a hour just to go clothes shopping.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I always thought of Metropolis as New York and Gotham as Chicago, which would make it about 800 miles.
Yeah, Metropolis is their depiction of NYC and Gotham of Chicago -- but on a map, Gotham wouldn't be that far away from Metropolis. wink

sometimes twin cities across a bay.
Yeah, that's what I believe, too... Like Gotham is in New Jersey, or something. Thanks for the links, Carol! smile

I know Metropolis is supposed to be right near the Atlantic -- it's like that in all the movies, afaik. So that's what I usually go by. Screw Smallville and Metropolis, Kansas. That's just stupid, now.

And this is what Gotham looks like, according to DC, but... where the heck that is, really. I dunno. *lol*

I thought there might be some more "factual" info someplace... heh.

I guess I'll go with the cities across the bay thing and figure there's a ferry between both. And pretend that'll be enough. *giggles*

Thanks!

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
In my vast knowledge base of these things, works for me.

Carol [who has seen SR but doesn't think she's ever read a Superman or Batman comic and never watched any of the Batman movies]

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
We've had a couple of previous threads about the locations of Metropolis and such. There was one I was thinking of that I can't seem to find, but I did come across some useful stuff in a couple of others.

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000458

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000085

And, linked off the latter, I found:

http://dailyplanet.iwarp.com/map.html

Which lists (under "Geography") the distance from Metropolis to Gotham as 150 miles.

Also:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/comics.php?topic=comics-racfaq#location

According to that, Metropolis is in Delaware and Gotham is in New Jersey. But that's only semi-official.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Ahhh! Thanks Paul! laugh

Top Banana
Top Banana
Also:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/comics.php?topic=comics-racfaq#location

According to that, Metropolis is in Delaware and Gotham is in New Jersey. But that's only semi-official.
That list is from Mayfair Games for their RPG - DC has since disavowed this list - in the current DCU, Metropolis in in New York State. Gotham varies but is somewhere fairly close, as is NYC. Just for giggles I checked those distances at http://dailyplanet.iwarp.com/map.html against my atlas - 900 miles (approx) from Chicago and 220 (approx) from NYC is Boston. (or it could be about 50 miles due east of D.C.)

LnC varies from the DCU in the orientation of the island (or possibly peninsula)of New Troy - in the DCU, New Troy's long axis is oriented East and West - on the LnC maps, New Troy is oriented North and South.

Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm thinking the distance between Metro & GC is half the distance between Metropolis and Neverland. laugh

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In an old Justice League of America, when Earth-Prime developed it's own superhero, several members of the JLA of Earth-One got sucked into that universe. Superman looked down and said something like this.
"I don't see Metropolis or Gotham. Where Metropolis should be are large number of overgrown suburbs to the North of NY City and where Gotham should be is a over populated souther section of Boston." or something like that.
James

Oh that is funny, Paul posted a link that has the actual dialog in it. Hmmm, so, it is true that memory is the first to go...

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Did you hear that? It was the sound of my technical advisor changing his tune.

When I wrote New Faces; New Year (or whatever it was called--I'm really not good with names), I asked James where Gotham was. He didn't bat an eye. He said, "It's in New Jersey." Which is why I wrote,
“It has been a few years since I’ve been to the Balkans,” he confessed, although that wasn’t much of a confession since he had probably never left the city of Gotham, let alone the state of New Jersey. “However, I can tell it’s Macedonian because of the inscription beneath.”
That means that my answer is huh

Elisabeth
edit: Oops! Forgot to mention that my Metropolis has always been New York City.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Not to steal your thread, Miss Moon (even though I obviously am), but if you follow Paul's link it says that Smallville is located pretty much where Topeka is and has a population of 90,000 people. Somehow I don't think the population on Lois & Clark had that many people. James was working on an as-of-yet unpublished work where he picked out a city based on how many days ride Sheriff Kent said it was to Wichita. He also put the population at less than 10,000.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In the Superman Homepage, it gives the following for Gotham

Gotham City: New Jersey (I rest my case)

However, I nearly had a brain failure when I read...

Smallville: Kansas, 50 miles west of the I-70/I-35 interchange on I-70. The population is given as 90,000 btw. eek razz

NO FREAKING WAY!!!!!!!

There is NO way that a town of 90,000 could possibly have a downtown like what we saw in LnC. Heck, it couldn't even touch what was in the comic books in the 70's.

btw, that location is in the suburbs of Topeka.

I personally, think that Abilene, KS fits the bill better, based on information from Tempus Fugative.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Yeah - 90000 is WAY bigger than what we saw. We live in a town of 12000 that much better fits it [though not in KS]. Even that seems big though. I tend to think more of Mayberry type place [a quick Google search indicates 1200-2000]. They could still have their own schools etc drawing from the surrounding county. Googling Abilene... that seems much closer too.

Carol

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I asked James where Gotham was. He didn't bat an eye. He said, "It's in New Jersey." Which is why I wrote,
hehe - yeah. And I'm keeping that, as is. No worries. smile I just kinda need two people to be in the same city at the same time for some reason and... erm... one of them has neither super speed, nor the power to fly. *lol*

...and you know what? Actually, I think I just solved my problem while I was writing this. hehe! laugh

Top Banana
Top Banana
The biggest problem in establishing where Gotham and Metropolis and the other DCUverse cities is:
Every single writer at DC, for movies AND for LnC had them in a different place. (We're not even mentioning Smallville putting a city of 10 million in a state that that barely has that population.)

The art people for LnC were using NYC as their basis. (There is a map in Shadow of a Doubt where the art people didn't even bother to change the name of the Hudson River to West River (it's very clear.)) And The maps from the Return of the Prankster are clearly the south end of Manhattan.

It's even worse for Smallville, KS - some writers at DC put it as a very small, virtually unchanging farm town, others have it as a good sized city.

In LnC, Smallville is obviously a very small farm town. (But then, the art people decided to use pictures of New England in the long shots.)

For the location of Smallville from Tempus Fugitive: The green band is 120-160 miles from Kansas City.

[Linked Image]

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
yes, and if you notice, Abilene KS is just on the outside of your nice little green line...

peep James peep

Top Banana
Top Banana
From Abilene it would be a real hard ride to KC for a wounded man, but with a fast horse, it would fit the parameters given. (4 days ride). My personal preference is down by Neodesha, maybe even as far south as Independence - mainly due to the presence of the James Gang in Smallville not all that long after robbing a bank in Liberty, MO (I figure they would be heading south rather than west since they were hiding out and heading for Oklahoma/Texas at the time.) [Linked Image]

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
You've always had a ruthless ability to reason, Dandello.

I think James also picked Abilene because of their creeks (which he wanted in his story) and quarry (I don't even remember which episode that was from).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard