Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Because people are complaining about dead boards, here's a "tell me a story" post for you.

When did you write your first fanfic? What was it about? What prompted you to write it?

I'll get the ball rolling by saying that I actually wrote my first fanfic before I knew what fanfic was, before the internet existed outside of the computers of a few scientists. It wasn't until many years later that I heard the term "fanfic."

I think I was maybe 8 or 9, and I came across a women's magazine where they include longish stories for entertainment. I recall very little about the actual plot of the story, but I do remember that I was furious with the ending. Desperate to assuage my anger, I hunted up some sheets of paper and rewrote the ending. I then stapled it into the magazine and returned it to wherever I got it from.

So somewhere...there may be a magazine floating around with my story attached. Or maybe someone burned it. Hard to say.

And that is how I got started in fanfic.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The very first fanfic I wrote was for Star Trek: The Original Series.

As I've said elsewhere, I'd written fiction since I was very young and I'd developed an interest in watching SF through Star Trek re-runs since about the age of 12 or so. But it had somehow never occurred to me to write about what I was enjoying on screen. I had no idea that the notion of fanfic existed. (You also have to realise that this was way before the internet).

Then, while browsing in my local bookstore once summer - I think I must have been around 16 by then - by sheer chance I came across New Voyages. A collection of ST:TOS fanfic gathered together and published by two fans of the show. There were stories in books about my favourite characters? I snapped it up, took it home and eagerly dived in.

The second revelation was like a lightning bolt. These were stories written by fans of the show? Ordinary people like me? People did this? laugh

The stories were all wonderful and top quality and reading them I found myself thinking, "You know...I could do this, too!"

So, I did.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
'm trying to remember which came first...

I also started writing before I knew there was a whole sector of stories called fanfic. Two things happened that drove me crazy over the summer, although I can't remember which show started it. Clark went off to New Krypton on L&C, and Daphne ditched her wedding on Frasier. And for some reason, I could *not* sit around and just wait for the premieres LOL. So I wrote my own endings. I filled up two notebooks of ending after ending...And then after L&C went off the air, I started searching online for the scuttle about what season 5 was supposed to be like...and I ran into TUFS and then the Archive, and my jaw dropped.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
I started writing fanfiction in Jr. High. STtOS was still on the air in its first run. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was in reruns after school, right after Dark Shadows.
There was no internet (heck the only computers around were at Boeing and IBM) and I'd never heard of fanfic or a Mary Sue.

My first stories were written with a buddy and they are now long lost (Thankfully - Spock really should be an only child).

The earliest work I still have is a Star Wars novel (before Revenge of the Empire, when even the Sci-Fi mags were speculating that Luke and Leia would get together and Darth Vader was the villain and NOT Luke and Leia's father.) I might, someday, get the courage to post in on the internet. shock

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
When I was little I would imagine other stories for some of my favorite book characters, usually inserting myself as an extra sibling in the Gilbreth clan or as a friend of Anne Shirley's. (Talk about your Mary Sues, although I don't recall making myself angelic.)

The first time I ever actually wrote a story was after Titanic. I loved that movie. I don't think it's possible to overstate how wild I was over it. I found fanfic on the internet (primarily those at titanicstories.com) and devoured them. And then I thought about writing my own, so I started one. I never finished it, but I had fun with it anyway. And it's funny this has come up now, because just two nights ago I found a folder with printouts of my story. It wasn't half bad.

And that was pretty much it for me and fanfiction until I ended up here after Superman Returns. I had no plans at all to write but one day I found myself doing it anyway!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Kerth
Kerth
First was a Buffy crossover - not 100% sure which one since I wrote three in a very short time then didn't get around to posting them immediately, but according to fanfiction.net it was a story called Contract Negotiation which was a crossover with the Destroyer novels by Murphy and Sapir. Not much action, just a few characters talking in a park.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Top Banana
Top Banana
Mine was for an anime series. laugh I actually only wrote for anime series until I ran across this community. This is my first "Live action" series. ^_~

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
My first story was probably a half century ago, back in grade school. I was into the Black Beauty and Island Stallion books so I wrote my own horse story which for some reason took place in Argentina.

I did a lot of simple sci-fi and fantasy writing throughout the years. In high school I was really into Alister McLean spy/adventure novels and me and a friend got into writing our own spy novels. We wrote them in spiral note books, in long hand. I wrote four and my buddy wrote four or five. We used to put each other into our stories and used all the 'popular' hot girls in high school as the fem fatales for our stories. We'd show each other our latest chapters as we wrote them. Typical responses would be... "Oh yeah, well wait till you see what happens to you in my next chapter".

I wrote under the nom de plume of Hans Summ, and my buddy was Gus Zuntight. I still have those notebooks. The best parts about them were the 'About this book' and cover blurbs we'd add to them.

After that my writing fell off for a time, until I discovered the L&C archives. I did write a story... "Faith, Hope, and more Hope" which was sent directly to the archives. Then I discovered Zoom's message boards and I think my first story there was "A Chat with Lois" (but I can't be sure, and I'm too lazy to go back and check).

So, there you have it. Much, much more than anyone would ever want to know about the writing misadventures of Tank.

Tank (who remembers trying to get into a college creative writing course being taugh by Thomas Disch by using those old spy novella notebooks, and received a terse 'certainly not!' reply with the return of my notebooks)

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
My first fanfic was actually for L&C smile I was about 12 when I wrote it, and proud as heck when I finished it, but when I look back on it now, I just shake my head. It's a part of my history, though, and it shows how far my writing has come, so, reluctantly, I leave it up for everyone to see and laugh at right along with me. It's still up on the archive to this day. I created the pen name Aria to keep my newer stuff separate from it.

Honestly, I can't remember what prompted me to write it, but I'm glad I did, because what a fun hobby fanfic writing has turned out to be for me smile

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Like Tank, I wrote my first "fanfic" after I read the Black Stallion. Unfortunately, my interests have always skewed toward novels, which was much more than my 11-year-old self could handle, so the story died a quiet death after some fifteen single-spaced, typed pages.

From then on, I worked on original writing for the next 15 years, mostly very bad unfinished novels. After that, I focused on writing some short stories that never sold anywhere before returning to romance novel writing. I finished one and then started another novel that took me 10 years to finish wink .

About 30 years after my first fanfic, I got online access (February 1996). I was already a passionate fan of L&C, but then I discovered the online fandom. The first place I found was the Kryptonsite, which had a newsletter that included some short stories. After I read a few, I realized that I had found a place where I could be published and maybe even receive some feedback, so I started writing "A Shot in the Dark." In the 11 years since then, I've written something over 400,000 words of fanfic and original fic--not much compared with some of you, but many times more than I'd written in the whole of my life before that. So I think I owe this fandom a great debt of gratitude.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Features Writer
Features Writer
My first fanfic was actually the first story I posted here on the boards, Dear Lois.

I'd written a story about a superman-like character in high school, and I wrote half a novel length time travelling romance in college. When 147 pages were destroyed with only the first three backed up, I was disgusted and didn't write again for eight years.

I'd intended to dip my toe in with a vignette. I'd always been impressed with the ending scene in Whine Whine Whine where Lois stumbled in on Clark and realizes that he is "forever packing."

I wondered what would have happened if she'd gotten there too late, to an empty apartment.

So I wrote a Dear John letter to Lois, telling how Clark felt, obliquely revealing his secret.

Amazingly, I got feedback and encouragement, and so I wrote the first chapter. I got hooked on the feedback-addiction, and I've never looked back.

wink

Features Writer
Features Writer
:::cough no judgments cough:::

My first story was written in 1998, and it was a General Hospital story. I got really into GH after L&C went off the air. I think I needed something to fill the void. I wrote it in script form over the course of a year and a half and it ended up being something like 87 chapters. I apparently had a lot of free time in high school. It was based around the Quartermaine and Cassadine families, and I really enjoyed writing it.

However, when I go back and re-read it (it's still online), I seriously cringe. I'm not sure where I got the idea that sex lasted for hours -- and I mean hours -- or that you could be put on trial for murder 48 hours after it happened, with little or no evidence, much less an actual corpse. Then again, people have survived being cremated on soap operas, so I guess anything's possible. (And to clarify, no, I haven't watched GH, or any other soap, in years.)

My first L&C fic was "Inside Out," and I have to admit, writing in prose form was NOT easy after all of the writing I had done in script form, plus the fact that most of the writing I do these days (at work) is in journalistic form.

But hey, at least if people are having sex for hours at a time in my stories now, I can always blame the Kryptonite, not just 16-year-old naïveté.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Merriwether
Merriwether
While I'm not a writer (and yes, I will stick to that claim!), I have had quite a few half-written stories on paper and hard drive. When I first found fanfic, I was heavily into two shows: L&C and Sliders. While it wasn't the first fanfic I found (Oddly, that would be Hercules, Xena, and Highlander, all found on newsgroups), it was the first I started reading. And I got a few ideas for stories. Sadly, both ideas, one for each fandom, and huge Mary Sues, because I wanted to put myself in those universes. The Sliders story was just a girl (me) in the park that sees the intrepid explorers slide in, then have to slide back out quickly. I think she was supposed to know about Sliding, but only because it was a tv show in her world, and she was hoping it was real? The L&C story was about a girl who, wearing glasses herself, would NOT be fooled by them. I think she was also going to die tragically. Alas, poor Callie will never see the light of day.

The first one ever published and submitted was the day I was mad that they put The Lion King on instead of L&C, even though I love that movie. :p

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ah, but Karen - you've inspired fics! /me runs to archive to make sure Karen is credited on Photo Shoot and ACKS! loudly and makes note to send updated file to Labby ASAP

Okay downloaded, edited and emailed.

/me gets on knees, hands clasped in front of her, begging forgiveness and offering a peace offering of fic if Karen will send her a request

The first fic I wrote was Lois and Clark and the IRS - at least the first one on screen or paper, lots were written in my head. Do the words Growing Pains and Kirk Cameron mean anything to anyone else? Or Saved by the Bell and Mark Paul Gossaler or Mario Lopez?

I look back at L/C/IRS and cringe at the ending[s] and even contemplated going back and rewriting it recently but it's just so cring worthy... It was my first fic, I'd only been watching L/C for a couple months and had no clue that fic even existed until a couple weeks earlier.

Ah but it introduced me to Missy who remains a very close friend so it can't be all bad and of course to FDK which has become like a drug... Not sure if that's good or bad wink .

TTFN
Carol

Merriwether
Merriwether
Ah, but Karen - you've inspired fics!
True. I am a muse.. or amused, I'm not sure which. laugh Of course you're forgiven, and I don't have any request but more fics. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
More fic... I can do that... wink Someday...
C

Columnist
Columnist
My first fic was An Early Revelation: Top Copy, which is an LnC fic (I've never written anything else). And I still cringe at the mouthful of a title that it is. (You'll notice that the title to my second fic is only one word long. Making up for previous mistakes perhaps?)

Anway, I wrote it only a few months after I had discovered the LnC TV show through an all night procrastination session with alluc.org. A few weeks later I descovered the archive and was in heaven!

An Early Revelation is a kind-of rewrite of Top Copy (as the title would suggest) in which Martha doesn't have her laser sculpture and Diana manages to capture the footage of Clark changing into Superman that she couldn't in the epi. So then the whole world finds out that CK=S.

It always struck me as kinda a cheesy that Martha was working on this art project at the exact moment that Clark might need to have Superman and Clark Kent appear in the same place. A little too coincidental, if you know what I mean. And when the camera guy's battery died at the exact same time that Clark was changing? Honestly, it was just too contrived for me. So I changed it. laugh

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
My first story was for The Nanny back in 2005. I wrote it out long-hand in a notebook (jigsaw style) and then put it all together when I typed it up later. It was a AU story where the characters met under different circumstances.

Although I watched The Nanny when it originally aired, I wasn't into a fandom. I really got hooked on the show later when Lifetime ran it in syndication. RL at the time had been really hard for me and it had just the right amount of comedy and romance to perk up my days. Soon thereafter, I found a fan website, discovered fanfiction and started writing. It was pretty much my only creative outlet at the time and it really helped me through a tough time.

BJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I started writing fiction in my teens (early 80's). I had one "world" mapped out and stories going on at various places and times therein. Proto-romances, most of them, though it was a sci-fi background.

When I was 21-ish, I saw the entire series of Blake's 7 (on fourth-generation video tapes) and the ending to that was way traumatic. The bad guy won; everyone else was shot. Luckily for me, the boyfriend who'd showed me the whole series then took me to a small convention, where I discovered fanzines & fanfic. B7 fandom was tiny compared to Trek, but there were a number of 'zines if you knew where to look. And after a bit, it occurred to me that if they could do it, so could I. So my first fanfic was a 5-part "fix the end of the series" story. I don't think it was too awful, actually. I worked on it a *lot* and I can still remember being deliriously happy to see my name & story in *print*! My husband-to-be remarked that he hoped that someday he could make me that happy. laugh But anyway, he can't say that he wasn't warned; I was writing fanfic before we even met, let alone got married.

After that, though, I sort of drifted away from fandom, at least until I found an online fan group (CompuServe!). Even so, I didn't write anything else in the B7 universe. Hubby and I were enthralled by Babylon 5 -- but I didn't write for it.

I saw L&C when it premiered but didn't fall for it until late second season (revelation?? I'm there!). I already knew where to find other fans, so I was plugged in immediately, and reading every scrap of fanfic I could get hold of. It didn't take very long at all before I wrote my first L&C fic. And then my second, and my third... by the end of that summer I was co-writing a multi-part story. And y'all have been stuck with me ever since wink

I wrote that first fanfic because it was so *frustrating* to see L&C be perfect for each other but always mis-communicating or running off. Lois was sad, Clark was sad, and Pam was ticked off wink Hence, Getting Away From it All .

That must have been pre-ATAI. The next two were LCWS "get me through the summer" stories (there were a lot of them that summer!). Shortly thereafter was the inevitable-now-that-she-knows Lois amnesia story.

In some ways I think it's easier to write fanfic for a show that's off the air -- the writers don't come along every week or so and destroy your plots! goofy

Those first stories do have some cringe-inducing moments for me, and there's always my internal editor telling me how I *should* have done things... but I think they're pretty decent, overall.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard